Balancing Multiple Jobs: Navigating Employer Expectations

• Thread starter TheMacNerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, you can tell the walmart manager during your interview that you want to do both the retail job and the walmart job. You can also mention that you have previous retail experience and that you will work hard regardless of having another job.
TheMacNerd
Hi,
I have an interview at a walmart on Thursday. I want to do both the retail job that I just got rehired at and the walmart job if I get hired there. My question is how to tell the walmart manager during my interview that I want to do both jobs (multiple streams of income)? What would be a way to tell the manager during the interview that I want to do both the retail job and walmart? Plus both the walmart and the retail store that i got rehired at are both literally walking distance from each other.

Likes Craftek_Ana
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to general discussion. Good question but fits best in general discussion.

Job interviews are hard because they can ask for anything and there are barely any useful advice that would always apply. This advice does not guarantee anything. It could even backfire so take it with a grain of salt.

"I have a part time and I am looking for another part time." is one way to put it. Don't mention that income is your drive.

Walmart is so huge in terms of employees that I don't think they would have a problem with that. Many people I know that work there have a second job. If you mention that it will be obvious that the reason is income. They shouldn't ask you why a bigger stream of income is your drive. If they do, be honest, but follow it with:

"I would also like to gather as much retail experience as I can since I am pursuing a career in X or Y" or something along those lines.

If they ask you what you have to offer for the company, mention your previous retail experience. It's sort of like adapting on the spot. Like if they question why income is your drive, you tell them, but also let them know immediately thereafter, as fast as possible, that you also have something valuable to offer them. So that it won't look like you are just looking for another job. People that give the impression of 'just want a job' tend to get rejected by the interviewers because interviewers have this notion that people like that won't perform well when asked to do something. It's hard to convince them otherwise. They also think that because you have a safety net, you won't care if you get fired and therefore, you won't perform to well. Not to mention that it might bother them to have to adapt schedules. That's why it is a hard subject to approach.

If there is no spot on the conversation to insert that information, do it when they ask you about availability. Tell them that you already have another part time that you would like to keep, but you can work times with your other manager if that is the actual case. It is important to derail as much as possible that income is your drive and clearly let them know that you will work hard regardless of having another job. That your other job won't diminish your productivity nor what you can bring to them as a worker. And show them that what you can bring to them outperforms the downside of having to work a schedule. But that one is implicit when you tell them what you can bring to them. No talking about it directly. There's no need to remind them that they would have to work a schedule with you :wink:.

Likes russ_watters
I suggest you NOT mention the other job unless they ask. In my experience, some employers get upset if you are doing anything else. And their need for absolute control over employees seems inversely proportional to the pay rate.

A somewhat severe case I ran into was when I was working and as a Controls Engineer and the company across the street, in a completely different line of business, was looking for after-hours EE help. I was told "You better not...". I didn't, but in retrospect I should have.

Likes Psinter and Rubidium_71
Tom.G said:
In my experience, some employers get upset if you are doing anything else. And their need for absolute control over employees seems inversely proportional to the pay rate.
Yes, it happens.

They get jelly (jealous). When I had two jobs, each manager would talk trash about the other manager (indirectly). Each told me I was a great worker and I didn't deserve to be overworked by the other. But in reality, both of them were overworking me, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I like when people get jelly and argue over me. It makes me feel special and desired. Just kidding :-p. I don't enjoy that. More than anything it was annoying. Because they would make this face like implying that the other manager was trash and that they were the better manager. Meanwhile, I was in the middle of the sandwich dealing with the whole awkwardness of not being able to say anything; not to defend, nor to disparage. Defending one manager in front of the other would have been a risky choice and disparaging one manager in front of the other too. You could just stand there and say nothing.

Watch out for the jealousness, @OP. Best wishes for landing the position :peacesign:.

1. What should I wear to my Walmart interview on Thursday?

It is recommended to dress professionally for your Walmart interview on Thursday. This can include a dress shirt and slacks, or a dress or skirt for women. Avoid wearing casual clothing such as jeans or sneakers.

2. How long will the Walmart interview on Thursday last?

The duration of the Walmart interview on Thursday will vary depending on the position you are interviewing for and the interviewer's style. Typically, it can last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.

3. What type of questions can I expect during my Walmart interview on Thursday?

The questions asked during your Walmart interview on Thursday will likely focus on your work experience, skills, and why you are interested in working for Walmart. You may also be asked situational or behavioral questions to assess your problem-solving and customer service abilities.

4. Will there be a drug test during my Walmart interview on Thursday?

It is possible that there may be a drug test during your Walmart interview on Thursday, as the company has a strict drug-free workplace policy. However, this may vary depending on the position you are applying for and the location of the interview.

5. How soon will I hear back from Walmart after my interview on Thursday?

The timeline for hearing back from Walmart after your interview on Thursday can vary. You may receive a job offer within a few days, or it may take a few weeks depending on the number of applicants and the hiring process at the specific location you interviewed at. It is best to follow up with the hiring manager or recruiter if you have not heard back after a week or two.