No problem! Glad to help jog your memory :)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a classic psychology experiment in which subjects are asked to describe the movement of a small black stationary dot on a white wall. One person recalls the experiment from their psychology class and provides a reference to the experiment conducted by Sherif in 1936. The dot does not actually move, but participants perceived it as moving and were asked to rate its movement on a scale. The conversation ends with the original person expressing their gratitude for the reference.
daniel6874
I have tried looking this up on the net without success.

This is a (I think) classic psychology experiment in which subjects are asked to describe the movement of a small black stationary dot painted on a white wall. Some perceive the dot as stationary and others perceive that the dot moves around. I don't recall what suggestions are give to the subjects, if any.

Can anyone provide a cite for this experiment? I think it's from the '50s.

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
daniel6874 said:
I have tried looking this up on the net without success.

This is a (I think) classic psychology experiment in which subjects are asked to describe the movement of a small black stationary dot painted on a white wall. Some perceive the dot as stationary and others perceive that the dot moves around. I don't recall what suggestions are give to the subjects, if any.

Can anyone provide a cite for this experiment? I think it's from the '50s.

Thanks.

As best I recall, subjects were seated across the room from the wall. They were told that the dot might or might not move. After a few minutes they were asked about the movement of the dot. I don't think I can remember any more details. Judging from the absence of answers it was not as well-known as I thought. Still would appreciate a cite. Thanks.

Hey daniel6874! This was done by Sherif in 1936. I remember this from intro to psych. The dot does not move at all, but the test subjects perceived it as moving. They were asked how much it moves one a scale of something to something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzafer_Sherif

Hope I'm not too late if you were writing a paper ...

DeuteriumDude said:
Hey daniel6874! This was done by Sherif in 1936. I remember this from intro to psych. The dot does not move at all, but the test subjects perceived it as moving. They were asked how much it moves one a scale of something to something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzafer_Sherif

Hope I'm not too late if you were writing a paper ...

Ah! There is no paper due but I read the study quite a few years back and never heard about it again. When I didn't find it online I began to wonder whether I remembered the details properly. Thank you for the reference!

I am always happy to assist in jogging someone's memory. The experiment you are referring to is known as the "Apparent Motion" or "Phi Phenomenon" experiment, which was first described by Max Wertheimer in 1912 and later studied extensively by Gestalt psychologists in the 1950s. The experiment involves presenting subjects with two stationary dots, one after the other, in quick succession. This creates the illusion of movement between the two dots, despite both being stationary. It is a classic example of how our brain processes visual information and constructs a perception of motion. I would suggest looking into the work of Wertheimer and other Gestalt psychologists for more information on this experiment.

1) What is the "Wandering Dot Experiment"?

The "Wandering Dot Experiment" is a psychological experiment that involves a series of dots moving on a blank screen. Participants are asked to track the movements of the dots and report any patterns or associations they observe.

2) What is the purpose of the "Wandering Dot Experiment"?

The purpose of the "Wandering Dot Experiment" is to study how the human brain processes and interprets visual information. It helps researchers understand how we perceive and make sense of the world around us.

3) How is the "Wandering Dot Experiment" conducted?

In the experiment, participants are typically shown a series of dots moving on a screen for a specific amount of time. They may be asked to track the movements of the dots or report any patterns they observe. The experiment can be conducted in person or online.

4) What have researchers learned from the "Wandering Dot Experiment"?

Through the "Wandering Dot Experiment," researchers have gained insights into how our brains interpret visual information and how we perceive motion and patterns. It has also helped to understand the role of attention and memory in our perception of the world.

5) How is the "Wandering Dot Experiment" relevant to everyday life?

The "Wandering Dot Experiment" provides valuable information about how our brains process and interpret visual information, which can have practical applications in fields such as marketing, design, and education. It also helps us understand how we perceive and make sense of the world around us in our daily lives.