Getting Fit: Shedding Pounds and Achieving Goals Together

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fit Goals
In summary: I've replaced it with healthier options like chicken, fish, eggs, etc. I've also started drinking a lot of water and herbal tea. I've also started working out again, but only once a week. In summary, based on my own experience, I think it's a good idea to slowly transition into a diet that eliminates carbs, and to gradually increase the amount of protein you eat. And finally, to continue to exercise on a regular basis.
I almost envy you tubbies. My weight is the same now as it was 30 years ago, and it seems to be almost entirely independent of diet or exercise. I was always 115 lbs. until then, but was diagnosed diabetic and put on a diet. I shot up to 125 in the first week, and that's what I am now. The only exception was that when I payed baseball I would go up to 132 lbs. due to increased muscle mass until the season was over. I ceased being diabetic over 20 years ago, and so went off of the diet. I found that my normal eating habits were actually more attuned to what I needed than the prescribed intake was. While I severely miss those eating habits, I am simply neither physically nor financially capable of maintaining them. Those habits might seem appalling to those of you who want to lose weight, but they sure didn't work for gaining any. A meal for me, which I ate at least twice a day, was 8 or 9 eggs and half a dozen slices of heavily buttered bread, or 1 kg. of lean ground beef with an equal amount of bread. I still eat 2 cans of tuna at a time, made into "salad" and split between 2 sandwiches, but in the old days that was a snack rather than a meal. Nowadays, I eat once per day or less. My entire menu for the past 4 days was a stick and a half of crackers and about 100 gm. of cheese. No change in weight.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really need to take this challenge as I am obese according to the BMI calculator and according to my wife. I was 196.5 lbs on the 20th and am 192.5 lbs now on the 23rd. That's 4 lbs in 4 days just from eliminating snacking. Let's see if I can keep dropping. I have no special diet, just eat less and especially less junk food. As for the marathon, I did plan to run in the Marine Corps Marathon in DC a few years ago and started training for it. I started out with 4 miles in one hour and got up to 18 miles in 5 hours, not quite fast enough. However, my knee started hurting and I quit training and don't ever intend to try again.

Jimmy, you're a nut! Come up here with a camper-trailer and I'll work the hell out of you all summer in the garden. At least you'll have healthy food and something physical to do. I have a tractor, a chain-saw, and other labor-saving devices, but there is plenty to do around here. Firewood doesn't throw itself into the shed.

I get aches and pains also which is what causes me to change my workout routines.

2004 - 2005 - practiced playing tennis against a wall - quit because of tennis elbow.
2005 - 2009 - lifted weights - arthritis in hands.
2009 - present - running - some aches but not too bad.

The best shape that I've been in during the last 10 years was when I spent 6 weeks doing home renovations in 2008. I didn't have time for anything other than water and an occasional quick sandwich.
turbo said:
Firewood doesn't throw itself into the shed.
Yeah, it doesn't split itself either.

Borg said:
2004 - 2005 - practiced playing tennis against a wall - quit because of tennis elbow.
2005 - 2009 - lifted weights - arthritis in hands.
2009 - present - running - some aches but not too bad.

2004 - 2005 - practiced pretending to be a wall - quit because some bastard kept hitting me in the face with tennis balls.
2005 - 2009 - spotted some guy in the gym - quit because of carpal tunnel syndrome from prying his hands off of the bar
2009 - present - observed some twit running through my 'hood - couldn't' get close enough to ID him - quit due to severe eye strain

:rofl: LOL, Danger.

Astronuc said:
It's more like avoiding heart attacks, strokes and cancer, and preventing premature deterioration of one's capabilities for mobility and independence.
Astronuc, you're so rational and level headed. I'm looking forward to the day when you say something silly just to get a laugh.

lisab said:
Better 7 than 70 :tongue2:!

And I'm not very tall, so I can't hide 7 lbs.
I'm 5' 11'' and shrinking. But my weight has been steadily increasing. I weigh about 205 lbs. I think I should weigh about 180 lbs. or maybe even 170 lbs. I don't know. The fact is that I feel good. But I have this ... gut, which looks, and, to be honest, feels, disgusting.

Anyway, regarding our programs ... today I walked about 6 miles and played intensive tennis twice. I think my strokes are improving, however I sort of deviated from the program by consuming mass quantities of brewsky following the evening tennis match.

I can see that this might be a problem ... for I love brewsky. Nevertheles, I am a senior citizen, and my very age does seem to limit the amount of brewsky that I desire to consume. So, I predict that for tomorrow and Sunday I will eat conservatively and consume no alcoholic beverages. This will be largely due to the visitation of my artistically gifted, yet crazy, girlfriend who I'll be spending the weekend with.

So, how tall are you?

lisab said:
I think you and I are kindred souls, Rhody :smile:.

Probably so. I'm just so goal-oriented!
Well, preventative maintenance is ongoing for a healthy life when one is much older. It's difficult to undo a chronic situation such as diabetes or an illness such as cancer.

As for a goal, I'd like to hiking in mountains, e.g., Andes and Karakorum - above 14,000 ft. That requires good cardiac fitness.

I'd also like to do a rim-to-rim round trip at the Grand Canyon in as short a time as possible. That also requires considerable cardiac fitness, strength and endurance.

South Kaibab trail: 4,740 ft descent, 6.3 miles. 3 hours from trailhead to the Colorado River.
Colorado River to Phantom Ranch: negligible elevation change, 0.5 miles. 1.5 hours including stop at the Ranch canteen.
Bright Angel trail: 4,360 ft ascent, 9.5 miles. A slow, almost 8 hour, hike from the Ranch to the South Rim.
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~sandiway/hikes/grandcanyon/index.html

The North Kaibab Trail: Starting Elevation 8250'.
It's 14.5 miles (Trailhead to Bright Angel Campground) and a 5841'. descent. The North Kaibab Trail begins by winding down a steep trail through a high alpine forest of aspen, Douglas fir and ponderosa pine. Hiking the trail after the mule rides quit for the season is ideal.
http://www.zionnational-park.com/rim-to-rim-grand.htm

Day Hike: Not recommended. This trail is best done as a three day hike. Do not attempt to hike down to the river and back in one day.
Distance: 23.5 miles (37.82 km) one way
Average Hiking Time: 3 days.
Difficulty: Strenuous

I know a group that did the round-trip in less than one day - but they were 20 years younger.

A related activity - http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/features/world/grand-canyon-basics-rim-t.shtml - running at altitude. It certainly would be easier if one lives in places like Colorado where one could go running at 6000+ ft on a normal routine.

Last edited by a moderator:
ThomasT said:
Astronuc, you're so rational and level headed. I'm looking forward to the day when you say something silly just to get a laugh.
Maybe I should have added :biggrin: after my comment. I like dry, subtle humor.

I do have a sense of humor, although it's not often apparent.

Having a good sense of humor is also important for good health! :smile:

lisab said:
So no one's working towards a lofty fitness goal, like a marathon or something similar?

What counts as a lofty fitness goal? I have been weight training for the last year and intend to keep going, progress is 'slow' (or I'm impatient). I try to train everyday. I don't do much cardio but I don't really have any excess fat. I use protein and creatine; my brother used weight gain when he first started a few years back, but now he's taken to putting more cardio in - he's big but not 'toned'. I figured I'd try to keep of the weight (due to fat) instead of trying to work it off later, although his might be due to beer...
Does that count as a lofty fitness goal?

I don't have a hard time staying in shape, but I have low self-esteem, regardless, because my body isn't like Bruce Lee's, but here's how I live:

I run a few miles every day (I do the barefoot thing).
I don't lift weights very often, but I do plenty of pushups, situps, walking on my hands, etc..
I'm a vegan.
I don't consume bread, pasta, sugar, fruit juice, and most "western diet" foods.
I drink plenty of water.
I eat quinoa, legumes (lentils and chickpeas are the best), lots of green vegetables, brown rice, nuts, mushrooms, and snack on fruit.
I prepare virtually every meal I eat (it's a good idea to make a quinoa salad and bring it in some tupperware on the go).
I usually cook when I'm hypomanic.
I don't eat big meals.
I don't ever count calories because I know damn well when I've had enough.

About a month ago I set my mind on losing some body fat and so far I've lost about 15 pounds. Some of that may be muscle, since I haven't been working out, but I can definitely see the body fat decrease.

Here's the things I changed in my diet. Trust me, if you do what I did, you will lose body fat.

I stopped eating peanut butter. I used to have a peanut butter sandwich every day.

Stopped eating cereals with more than about 5g of sugar, which are mostly the plain flakes or plain shredded wheat.

No sugar in my oatmeal except what's in the milk and the few raisins I put in it.

The only meat I eat now is tuna with some plain yogurt mixed in instead of mayonnaise. I'll sometimes put low fat cottage cheese in it instead.

I only drink water, with the occasional fresh orange juice from the orange tree in my backyard. If you drink fruit juice from the store, you may as well just be drinking Kool Aid.

A lot of the calories I cut out of my diet are replaced with vegetables. So I eat a lot more vegetables, since they're so low in calories.

If I'm a little hungry, I'll grab a big pickle, which has zero calories, and that keeps me satiated for an hour or more. (Although I want to find out the effects the acid has on the body and teeth. I don't want to eat too many. I try to only eat one a day, or maybe two if I have them.)

If I have a salad, which I try to have one every day if I have the vegetables available, I won't use salad dressing on it. I'll just pour some apple cider vinegar on it and mix it together. You get the taste of the vegetables that way, and it's not too dry. Normal salad dressing can almost negate the reason you're eating the salad in the first place.
And I only put vegetables on my salad, no meat or cheese or anything like that. My usual ingredients are spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, tomato, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. You know, the cheap ones. I used to put avocado in there, but those are just too expensive now. But I do love them.

And the most important change I've made, that has allowed me to drop so much body fat in such a short amount of time is not eating as much as I normally do. I used to eat when I was starting to get hungry, and I would eat until I'm full. Now I wait until I'm actually hungry, and then only eat about half as much. I eat slower, and when I start to feel like I've taken the hungry feeling away, then I'll stop.
I think my problem was that I was having trouble knowing whether I was hungry or just bored. I don't eat when I'm bored now.

I'm really not sure how many calories I was eating before, but now, based on a pretty liberal estimate, I take in about 1,500 calories a day.

I'm not fat or anything, I just decided to make a goal to be able to see my abs without flexing. Of course, I may have to work out to reach that goal.

This diet is kinda difficult to stick by. You just have to have some real motivation. I have mine, but it differs for everyone.
I think real motivation comes when you are unhappy. If you're content in your life, it can be hard to find the REAL motivation you may need to change.

^ I don't stick by that diet as I do consume more calories/day than 1500, but my diet is a bit similar. Almonds, fruits, vegetables, rarely any dairy products, and meats. But I can see my abs relatively well without flexing. Primarily weight train and do low-impact cardio workouts on gym days, and days I am not in the gym (TTHS) are days I cross-train and do plyometrics.

I am trying to get bigger in terms of muscle mass without resorting to supplements. So far, I have gained 5kg of muscle mass over the years I began working out. But my overall fat percentage now is only 10% but I look a bit on the skinny side (runner build), so I need to add a diet to my current eating habits (increase the food intake possibly). I've been eating potatoes a lot and that seems to be working as I definitely see a minor increase from before in the forearm department. But it may take me a while because I don't want to get into bad habits of consuming more food than I need to and end back where I was 4 years ago.

4 years ago I weighed 95kg at 5'9'', now I weigh 77kg at 5'11''. Had a minor growth spurt when I was about 19 and dropped a lot of fat/weight through low-impact cardio routines and a tae-bo dvd set. I didn't start serious muscle training until I was 70kg.

Now with my usual routine, I want to learn how to swim. While not a lofty goal, I plan to start learning this summer and hopefully it won't take me that long to learn.

My lofty fitness goal is to be able to kneel down and be able to get back up without help.

Evo said:
My lofty fitness goal is to be able to kneel down and be able to get back up without help.
I'd like to be able to do that. Currently, I need upper-body strength and a nearby chair/table/desk to achieve that without severe pain in the knees. Actually, I can't kneel due to the lack of cartilage in my ravaged knees, so I generally have to settle for lowering myself to a seated position on the floor for some tasks.

turbo said:
I'd like to be able to do that. Currently, I need upper-body strength and a nearby chair/table/desk to achieve that without severe pain in the knees. Actually, I can't kneel due to the lack of cartilage in my ravaged knees, so I generally have to settle for lowering myself to a seated position on the floor for some tasks.
Eat a half of a ghost pepper, chew carefully, in five minutes I guarantee the pain in your knees will be minor,
you will be able to do lunge squat thrusts with NO PROBLEM, trust me. :eek: :devil: :biggrin:

Rhody...

ThomasT said:
I'm 5' 11'' and shrinking. But my weight has been steadily increasing. I weigh about 205 lbs. I think I should weigh about 180 lbs. or maybe even 170 lbs. I don't know. The fact is that I feel good. But I have this ... gut, which looks, and, to be honest, feels, disgusting.

Anyway, regarding our programs ... today I walked about 6 miles and played intensive tennis twice. I think my strokes are improving, however I sort of deviated from the program by consuming mass quantities of brewsky following the evening tennis match.

I can see that this might be a problem ... for I love brewsky. Nevertheles, I am a senior citizen, and my very age does seem to limit the amount of brewsky that I desire to consume. So, I predict that for tomorrow and Sunday I will eat conservatively and consume no alcoholic beverages. This will be largely due to the visitation of my artistically gifted, yet crazy, girlfriend who I'll be spending the weekend with.

So, how tall are you?

I'm 5 ft 3.75 in.

Went out of town over the weekend - had a *great* time. But alas, eating in restaurants doesn't help the cause. We ended up walking and walking and walking - much longer than my usual 2 or 3 mile jogs. I guess it's urban hiking :biggrin:.

phoenix:\\ said:
Now with my usual routine, I want to learn how to swim. While not a lofty goal, I plan to start learning this summer and hopefully it won't take me that long to learn.
You never learned how to swim? How old are you?

Been struggling with a cold for several days - it's kept me from being active. Nonetheless I'm down a pound. (Yes of course I know one pound is not outside the normal noise range for body weight measurement...I don't care, I'll post it anyway!)

Everyday after lunch I spend half an hour fighting the desire to get a milkshake. Sometimes I win, and other times I don't. I'm not sure what is going to be the outcome today...We'll see. But since I'm 5' 6'' and 128, it is not too bad..

ThomasT said:
You never learned how to swim? How old are you?

22. But yes, I never learned how to swim. First time learning will be this summer though, and given my activity level, I will be swimming, or hope to be swimming, like any other regular swimmer.

22. But yes, I never learned how to swim. First time learning will be this summer though, and given my activity level, I will be swimming, or hope to be swimming, like any other regular swimmer.

Kudos for getting out of your comfort zone!

Hm, I'm the kind of person who doens't look unfit (I'm 6'2", weigh 166lbs and have a pretty low bodyfat percentage, so, well, that's not bad), but totally is. Gah, I really need to get started again with exercising, too. Stupid meds. :grumpy:

Well that's pretty young. You've got a lot of swimming to look forward to. I learned when I was just a little kid back in the mid '50s at an urban YMCA. There were ~30 of us in the class. As far as I know, nobody drowned.

lisab said:
Been struggling with a cold for several days - it's kept me from being active. Nonetheless I'm down a pound. (Yes of course I know one pound is not outside the normal noise range for body weight measurement...I don't care, I'll post it anyway!)
Sorry to hear about the cold. Sounds like you're doing well otherwise. Even with eating less (at least I think I'm eating less) and increasing my exercise level, I swear that I still seem to be gaining weight. Plus, had a very tough tennis match on Monday and my right calf and behind my knee has been sort of swollen and sore.

Net results so far: slight weight gain, no discernible change in gut volume, and a bad leg.

lisab said:
Lisa,

I am glad you have dropped a pound, but it could be water weight, seriously, I obsessed over it for years, don't sweat it. You will lose the weight slowly the right way, use the pant technique, when you feel them less tight, smile...

Rhody... :smile:

rhody said:
Lisa,

I am glad you have dropped a pound, but it could be water weight, seriously, I obsessed over it for years, don't sweat it. You will lose the weight slowly the right way, use the pant technique, when you feel them less tight, smile...

Rhody... :smile:
Water weight ... don't sweat it. That's funny. :smile:

But of course you're right ... I think.

I should add that my weight seems to fluctuate by at least a pound or two within any given 24 hour period. Just depends on when I weigh myself. Haven't weighed myself in a few days (don't have a scale at home), but I feel like I've gained a (more or less permanent) pound or two in the past week despite cutting out certain things. Come to think of it I did sort of pig out at Wendy's a couple of times (including their delicious Frostys), but it was after extensive (for me) exercise, so I was, perhaps, most probably, incorrectly minimizing the effect of these meals.

Last edited:
Oh I know - like I said, one pound is within normal variability for weight measurements. Of humans, that is. But it's in the right direction, so I'll claim it! I can self-delude with the best of 'em.

Tonight I did a *slow* jog/walk (OK mostly walk), about 2 miles. Nice that we still have light so late - sun sets at 7:35 here tonight. But it sure was windy, wet, and cold.

lisab said:
Oh I know - like I said, one pound is within normal variability for weight measurements. Of humans, that is. But it's in the right direction, so I'll claim it! I can self-delude with the best of 'em.

Tonight I did a *slow* jog/walk (OK mostly walk), about 2 miles. Nice that we still have light so late - sun sets at 7:35 here tonight. But it sure was windy, wet, and cold.
Sublime self-delusion. I'm definitely down with that. Claim what you will, what you must. As will I ... and must. Then again, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to eat an entire pepperoni pizza in the next half hour or so. Along with some other, as yet to be determined, consumables. I really love being retired. Feeling a bit sad about those of you who have to go to work tomorrow. Bwuah, ha ha ha ha ha ...

Ok, that was uncalled for. And totally contrary to the intent and purpose of the OP program.

ThomasT said:
Sublime self-delusion. I'm definitely down with that. Claim what you will, what you must. As will I ... and must. Then again, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to eat an entire pepperoni pizza in the next half hour or so. Along with some other, as yet to be determined, consumables. I really love being retired. Feeling a bit sad about those of you who have to go to work tomorrow. Bwuah, ha ha ha ha ha ...

Ok, that was uncalled for. And totally contrary to the intent and purpose of the OP program.

Lol, but it made me laugh :smile:!

Me, I just had spaghetti, made from scratch. Well I didn't make the pasta from scratch but the sauce - just simple sausage, tomatoes, and a few of their close friends. Not exactly low-cal but I didn't have much.

Have you tried an anti-inflammatory for your calf/knee?

lisab said:
Lol, but it made me laugh :smile:!

Me, I just had spaghetti, made from scratch. Well I didn't make the pasta from scratch but the sauce - just simple sausage, tomatoes, and a few of their close friends. Not exactly low-cal but I didn't have much.

Have you tried an anti-inflammatory for your calf/knee?
I'm on the ultimate anti-inflammatory for my Crohn's disease. The only other time my calf-knee felt like this was when I had thrombo-phlebitis when I was about 20. Blood clot in the calf.

I think I just exerted/strained the muscles in my calf to the point where they're repairing. It's a good type of pain, if you know what I mean.

However, it doesn't seem to be any better now than two days ago. So, as far as I know it might be a clot. We'll see.

Anyway, I can't complain. We've got the SonyEricsson Open on espn3.com, plenty of sunshine, and I just got six new cans of Penn tennis balls. Life is good.

More pizza.

Just had my yearly checkup, best condition in the past five years, I somehow managed to drop another 6 lbs to 156, so I am 9 lbs heavier that I was in college almost 36 years ago, not too bad, and I workout, cardio, weights, bicycle, walk, and stretch when I get stiff. I have no reason to complain. I understand how precious your health is, in the end it is all there is. It is up to you to treat yourself right, know when to push, for how hard, and how long and when to rest.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Just had my yearly checkup, best condition in the past five years, I somehow managed to drop another 6 lbs to 156, so I am 9 lbs heavier that I was in college almost 36 years ago, not too bad, and I workout, cardio, weights, bicycle, walk, and stretch when I get stiff. I have no reason to complain. I understand how precious your health is, in the end it is all there is. It is up to you to treat yourself right, know when to push, for how hard, and how long and when to rest.

Rhody...

That's excellent news! You're right, it takes effort to keep up one's health, and it's time well spent.

I'm 2 pounds down now. I had a great jog yesterday, slow and steady for about 3 miles. My minimalist shoes are great, I love them -- no hints of injury so far (knocks on head)!

lisab said:
That's excellent news! You're right, it takes effort to keep up one's health, and it's time well spent.

I'm 2 pounds down now. I had a great jog yesterday, slow and steady for about 3 miles. My minimalist shoes are great, I love them -- no hints of injury so far (knocks on head)!
Lisa,

I honestly didn't know what I weighed haven't weighed myself all year, I just know by the belt loops and how my pants fit. I pay little attention to stats because in the end, if you do the right thing you will be rewarded. I tend towards OCD anyway, and this is one way not to give into it, lol. Obsessing about not obsessing.

Rhody... :wink: