Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wanna try my webcam paintball/laserdome robot?

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1

I have built a web cam robot that you can control from any pc in the world.

I have equiped it with paintball and laserdome weapons and a red dot aim.

Do you think it would be interesting to have a Internet game with real webcamrobots in a paintball/laserdome battle and be able to hunt real people with the robot?

Scandinavia and north of Europe get a delay/lag around 0.3-0.5 sec.
    The rest of the world get a delay/lag around 1-3 sec becouse they have a satellite link.
    Some few people get lucky and dont get a satellite link from USA or Australia and then get a delay/lag around 0.5-1 sec.
    I will try to upgrade the web camera robots, so they will be able to compeate against real people on a paintball/laserdome arena/field.

If you have the time you can answer some questions here

If you havnt time just answer one of them.

Check this text that an Australian wrote after taking a drive with my tank from the other side of the world:

Regards Magi
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2
    hahahah :tongue2: :tongue2:

And how is it running 24/7?
  4. Aug 18, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus

Interesting concept. It would have been nice if you did this in AJAX instead of ActiveX. Us Linux and Mac users would like a chance at driving the tank too.
  5. Aug 19, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: Yes, yes, yes, make it so us Mac users can play too! I want to pelt people with paintballs! :biggrin:

So, how would that work in terms of having multiple users (would there be multiple robots, or you have to wait in a queue for your turn, or it's free-for-all?), and if they're playing against real people, would it just be whenever you had customers to play a real game who agreed to have this "wildcard" in the game of a robot that could decide to shoot at any of them, or would you have people who were paid to play (or act?) so there would always be players on the field if someone was online wanting to play? Afterall, it wouldn't be much fun if everytime I logged in, it was the middle of the night in Sweden and nobody was around to shoot at.

If you can overcome those issues, it sounds like a really fun idea. All the fun of paintball without the welts! It might be more fun for the live players too. Imagine the added strategy you'd need to include in a game if you had to account for this robot shooting at anyone at anytime, trying to avoid it yourself while forcing your opponents out toward it. :biggrin:
  6. Aug 19, 2005 #5
    I was sitting up nights the first 2 months so that americans and australians could get a test drive but not any more. :)

Just contact me and ask if I have time to give u a test drive.

As it is now not many people contact me for a drive so there is no queue.
    It is one person per webcamrobot to control it.
    The rest of the world can get a view from the robot but not control it.
    I am planning to build some more for battles.

I try to get laserdome/paintball fields to have some of my robots so when that happens there will only be people daytime, but if i sell robots to battle fields all over the world, there will of course be people to battle against 24/7.

Regards Magi
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  7. Dec 29, 2007 #6

How do you use the robot?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?