Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want a book onStatistical mechanics

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    Sairam to all,
    I want to learn more about statistical mechanics
    Can anybody suggest me a good book on this topic ?
    I have done a course on the thermodynamics .

Thank you sairam...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please use normal fonts. :wink:

You may try Greiner as a first lecture. I liked that book for many reasons. If you want a slightly higher level, then Kerson Huang and L & L' 2 volumes will do it.

Daniel.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    I kind of like the Feynman text "Statistical Mechanics: A Set of Lectures". It's short and sweet, but it doesn't really have any exercises in it. Does your thermo book have an introduction to Statistical Mechanics at the end?

5. Jul 12, 2005 #4
    Reif has it all.

6. Jul 12, 2005 #5
    It should be added that the Reif hasn't been updated since the mid 1970s, and that it is extremely verbose. Also of note is that its math gets kind of sketchy at points. I have more to say about the Reif, but it involves obscenities not appropriate to the conversation.

7. Jul 12, 2005 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reif, then Landau & Lif$****z, Vol's 1 & 2. An alternative is Huang.

8. Jul 13, 2005 #7
    I don't want to cause a stir, or highjack this thread, but how much has stat mech changed in the last 30 years?

9. Jul 13, 2005 #8

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on who you talk to. Most courses in Stat Mech only cover equilibrium Stat Mech, the university where I got my undergrad and 1st Masters had 3 faculty members who did research in nonequilibrium Stat Mech, published, wrote texts and were fairly well known. The university where I got my PhD didn't teach nonequilibrium Stat Mech, used Reif for the graduate text and probably only had one or two faculty members who could have understood the second volume of Landau's series and the rest didn't care.

10. Jul 14, 2005 #9
    is a course on Many Body Physics the same as Non-Equilibrium Stat Mec? U know of any university in the states who teaches these courses extensively?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?