Want a book onStatistical mechanics

In summary: No. The two courses are different. Non-equilibrium Stat Mech is about systems that are far from equilibrium. Many Body Physics is about systems that are near equilibrium.
bmkmanoj
Sairam to all,
I want to learn more about statistical mechanics
Can anybody suggest me a good book on this topic ?
I have done a course on the thermodynamics .

Thank you sairam...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please use normal fonts. :wink:

You may try Greiner as a first lecture. I liked that book for many reasons. If you want a slightly higher level, then Kerson Huang and L & L' 2 volumes will do it.

Daniel.

Last edited:
I kind of like the Feynman text "Statistical Mechanics: A Set of Lectures". It's short and sweet, but it doesn't really have any exercises in it. Does your thermo book have an introduction to Statistical Mechanics at the end?

Reif has it all.

It should be added that the Reif hasn't been updated since the mid 1970s, and that it is extremely verbose. Also of note is that its math gets kind of sketchy at points. I have more to say about the Reif, but it involves obscenities not appropriate to the conversation.

Reif, then Landau & Lif$****z, Vol's 1 & 2. An alternative is Huang.

I don't want to cause a stir, or highjack this thread, but how much has stat mech changed in the last 30 years?

Depends on who you talk to. Most courses in Stat Mech only cover equilibrium Stat Mech, the university where I got my undergrad and 1st Masters had 3 faculty members who did research in nonequilibrium Stat Mech, published, wrote texts and were fairly well known. The university where I got my PhD didn't teach nonequilibrium Stat Mech, used Reif for the graduate text and probably only had one or two faculty members who could have understood the second volume of Landau's series and the rest didn't care.

Dr Transport said:
Depends on who you talk to. Most courses in Stat Mech only cover equilibrium Stat Mech, the university where I got my undergrad and 1st Masters had 3 faculty members who did research in nonequilibrium Stat Mech, published, wrote texts and were fairly well known. The university where I got my PhD didn't teach nonequilibrium Stat Mech, used Reif for the graduate text and probably only had one or two faculty members who could have understood the second volume of Landau's series and the rest didn't care.

is a course on Many Body Physics the same as Non-Equilibrium Stat Mec? U know of any university in the states who teaches these courses extensively?

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses probability theory to study the behavior of macroscopic systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It aims to explain the macroscopic properties of these systems by examining the behavior of their microscopic components.

2. Why is statistical mechanics important?

Statistical mechanics is important because it provides a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of complex systems. By using statistical methods, it allows scientists to make predictions about the macroscopic properties of a system based on its microscopic characteristics.

3. How is statistical mechanics related to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics are closely related. Thermodynamics deals with the macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature and pressure, while statistical mechanics provides a microscopic explanation for these properties. In other words, thermodynamics is a macroscopic theory while statistical mechanics is a microscopic theory.

4. What are some applications of statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics has many practical applications, including in the fields of chemistry, biology, and materials science. It is used to understand the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as complex systems like polymers and biomolecules. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials and technologies.

5. Are there any famous scientists who have contributed to the field of statistical mechanics?

Yes, there are several notable scientists who have made significant contributions to the field of statistical mechanics. Some of the most well-known names include Ludwig Boltzmann, Josiah Willard Gibbs, and Max Planck. Their work laid the foundation for the development of statistical mechanics as we know it today.