Want me to fetch a thread from the archives?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a newly appointed Super Mentor offering to move topics from the Archives to the current Forums upon request. There is a discussion about the capabilities and expectations of a Super Mentor, as well as a request to move a specific topic to the general astronomy Forum. Some members also mention technical issues with the forum, while others congratulate the Super Mentor on their new role. The conversation ends with a request to move a thread about human evolution out of the Archives.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

Now that I am *drumroll* Super Mentor, I can move topics to and from any Forum . No doubt, all of you were tracking certain threads with much interest. In order to ease the transition to the new format, post a URL to any topics you would like to see moved out of the Archives and into the current Forums here. I will try to move it within 24 hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean there are actually things a Super Mentor doesn't naturally know?

*sudden insecure feeling creeps in*

Isn't a SUPER MENTOR supposed to be a "mind-reading/telepath"??
Why would they ask questions of gnomes/peons like us?? Heck they should just know!

I tried it, and it works. But the Topic did not show up until a new post was added. When I went to the "Aerospace Engineering" Forum, the "X-Prize" Topic did not show up, but when I used the search feature to look for it, it showed as being in that Forum. At any rate, when I added a new reply to that Topic, it then showed in the Forum. So if you've asked to have a Topic moved and you don't see it, try searching and then adding a new reply to it.

All hail the Ubermentor!

...And if we can get them to run in circles, the "Tor-mentors" (?)

Originally posted by Shadow
can you please move https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54 to general astronomy?

Done.

Originally posted by Lurch[/i]
I tried it, and it works. But the Topic did not show up until a new post was added.

That's because the last post was more than 30 days old. If you reset the drop down menu at the bottom of the screen to show threads from farther back, then it will always be there.

Well, congratulations, Tom!

I have nothing to move right now, but I probably will soon.

CHEEESE! he still didn't get that "telepathic message" from me yet, must be something in the airwaves, or something else, Hey! maybe he is the resistive type and I'm just fooling myself more then anyone else!

(P.S. this is JUST A JOKE!)

If it's alright with AG, I'd like to request that his "Current Human Evolution" thread be moved out of the Archives (into "Biology").

Originally posted by Mentat
If it's alright with AG, I'd like to request that his "Current Human Evolution" thread be moved out of the Archives (into "Biology").

Done. We'll "talk logic" soon.

1. What does it mean to "fetch a thread from the archives"?

Fetching a thread from the archives refers to retrieving a specific document or piece of information from a previous time or location. In this context, it could mean retrieving a document or data from a past scientific study or research project.

2. Why is it important to fetch threads from the archives?

Fetching threads from the archives allows scientists to access and review previous research and data, which can provide valuable insights and inform current and future studies. It also ensures that information is not lost or forgotten over time.

3. How do you fetch a thread from the archives?

The process of fetching a thread from the archives may vary depending on the specific archive or repository. Generally, it involves searching for the desired document or data using keywords or specific parameters, and then requesting access or physically retrieving the information.

4. Can anyone fetch a thread from the archives?

In most cases, accessing and retrieving information from archives requires permission or authorization from the archive holder or institution. However, some archives may have open access policies that allow anyone to retrieve information.

5. What are the potential challenges of fetching threads from the archives?

Some potential challenges of fetching threads from the archives include limited access to certain archives, difficulty in finding specific information, and potential issues with the preservation and accuracy of archived data. It may also be time-consuming and require specialized knowledge or skills.