Can I Become a Scientist with a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering?

• Thread starter arvind391
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary: Basically, if you're looking to work as a scientist in industry, you'll need a PhD and some post docs. true, i don't know why i added pure haha. Basically, if you're looking to work as a scientist in industry, you'll need a PhD and some post docs.
arvind391
i m going to complete my btech in mechanical engg. stream. i want to become a scientist. how can i be? should i do my P.G in physics ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will generally need a PhD and some post docs to be considered for a position of "scientist". Check out the "so you want to be a physicist" thread. Much of that information applies to bio and chem as well.

ModusPwnd said:
You will generally need a PhD and some post docs to be considered for a position of "scientist". Check out the "so you want to be a physicist" thread. Much of that information applies to bio and chem as well.

This is not true in my experience. Maybe by some strict standard of academia, but in industry plenty of people with just masters degrees and those with just undergraduate degrees (if they have enough experience) earn the title scientist.

I work with an example of each, and I have extremely limited work experience.

And, in case there is any question of whether or not these people are scientists... they are.

What makes them scientists? Thats not a title I see much in industry, and I think its usually reserved for upper level researchers.

Last edited:
ThereIam said:
This is not true in my experience. Maybe by some strict standard of academia, but in industry plenty of people with just masters degrees and those with just undergraduate degrees (if they have enough experience) earn the title scientist.

I work with an example of each, and I have extremely limited work experience.

And, in case there is any question of whether or not these people are scientists... they are.

I'm with Modus. what industry do you work in? it may be the title given to them by their employers but are they doing pure science research? i know people with physics B.Sc. who hold the title "engineer" but can't register as a professional engineer.

I wouldn't think that research need be "pure" to be considered science, but surely there must at least be research!

ModusPwnd said:
I wouldn't think that research need be "pure" to be considered science, but surely there must at least be research!

true, i don't know why i added pure haha.

What education do I need to become a scientist?

To become a scientist, you typically need at least a bachelor's degree in a scientific field such as biology, chemistry, physics, or environmental science. Many scientists also pursue advanced degrees, such as a master's or PhD, in their specific area of interest.

What skills are required to be a successful scientist?

Some essential skills for a scientist include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. Additionally, being curious, adaptable, and having a strong passion for research are important traits for a successful scientist.

What types of jobs can I get as a scientist?

There are many different career paths for scientists, including research positions in academia, government, and private industry. Some scientists may also work in fields such as healthcare, environmental conservation, or technology development.

Do I need to specialize in a specific area of science?

While it can be beneficial to have expertise in a particular field of science, it is not always necessary. Some scientists may have a broad range of knowledge and skills, while others may specialize in a specific subfield. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals.

What advice do you have for someone wanting to become a scientist?

My advice would be to stay curious, ask questions, and never stop learning. Take advantage of opportunities to gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects. Also, be open to exploring different areas of science and don't be afraid to fail – it's all part of the scientific process.