1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to become a scientist

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    i m going to complete my btech in mechanical engg. stream. i want to become a scientist. how can i be? should i do my P.G in physics ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2
    You will generally need a PhD and some post docs to be considered for a position of "scientist". Check out the "so you want to be a physicist" thread. Much of that information applies to bio and chem as well.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    This is not true in my experience. Maybe by some strict standard of academia, but in industry plenty of people with just masters degrees and those with just undergraduate degrees (if they have enough experience) earn the title scientist.

I work with an example of each, and I have extremely limited work experience.

And, in case there is any question of whether or not these people are scientists... they are.

5. Mar 12, 2013 #4
    What makes them scientists? Thats not a title I see much in industry, and I think its usually reserved for upper level researchers.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  6. Mar 12, 2013 #5
    I'm with Modus. what industry do you work in? it may be the title given to them by their employers but are they doing pure science research? i know people with physics B.Sc. who hold the title "engineer" but can't register as a professional engineer.

7. Mar 12, 2013 #6
    I wouldn't think that research need be "pure" to be considered science, but surely there must at least be research!

8. Mar 13, 2013 #7
    true, i don't know why i added pure haha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook