Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to create some data

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1
    see the follwing print out - you can imagine what the trend might be - the dataset i want to make??

how can i create that data. i mean that sort of curve twice - the second time of a lower volume with noise added. make sense?

http://imageshack.us/f/703/40382180.png
    sorry for some reason i can't embed.

thanks!! precision is unimportant atm. if i knew how to joing peaks i could do it easy...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2012 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks a lot like a 1/x relationship.

4. Jul 4, 2012 #3
    yup. i started a new thread now in analysis section if you want to help :)

Luke

5. Jul 4, 2012 #4
    oh i can create data approaching the trend.... i don't know how to do so efficiently yet tho ha.

6. Jul 9, 2012 #5
    i was trying to run ifft on excel but i then want to manipulate the output [basically - everything above the median amp = 1, everything below = -1. turning into steps]... but this destroys the fft - completely. is there no way around that - i was thinking of using solver and ifft in excel together but that's impossible. so can i do so without programming, and anyway, is this just a completel dead end?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook