Is a Diploma in Cosmology the Right Path for an Aspiring Astronomer?

• Thread starter whyonlyme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, two individuals discuss the passion for studying cosmology and the feasibility of pursuing a career in the field. The first person expresses their interest in the subject and asks for advice on whether to continue with high school or pursue a diploma in cosmology. The second person advises to think critically about the practicality of such a career and suggests giving physics a try in university to determine if it is a suitable path.
whyonlyme
Hi,
I am 15 years old boy. I've just appeared from 10th grade exams. I am interested in cosmos. I like Stephen Hawking's shows too much, and other shows which are related wih cosmos. I want to become cosmologist or astronomoer.

I've much curosity about cosmos. I am interested in Blackholes, Warmholes, want to creat some way for time travel. And one of the BIG question " Is there life on other planet ? ".

I want to ask do I go with 11th and 12th grade class or go with diploma ? Is there any diploma course for cosmology ?

And any suggestion that u would like to give to me ??

Thnx.......

Physics news on Phys.org
If English is your native tongue I'd suggest that you improve the way you type (I hope that you don't speak like this to people personally).

Now onto the questions. A recurring theme on Physics Forums is young students having a romanticized perspective of modern science topics. I don't deny your passion or love for the subject but more so your will to achieve this level expertise and to be happy. I could say fairly that I once wanted to study string theory, black holes, loop quantum gravity, gamma-ray bursts and particle physics but through some subjective rational thought I came to the conclusion that none of this will satisfy my future need to live a comfortable life. Thinking about these ideas is ravishing, I absolutely love it and I'm sure you do too but when it comes down to the statistical analysis the chance of making a great impact in a field and even preceding that, getting a job to study cosmology is very slim. I'd advise you to think more about these ideas as you're still very young and have quite a few years ahead of you.

I read your post. First of all, English is not my first language. That's true.

I have aim to go with it and work in NASA. but after ur post. Now I'll think about it again.....

Kevin_Axion said:
Now onto the questions. A recurring theme on Physics Forums is young students having a romanticized perspective of modern science topics. I don't deny your passion or love for the subject but more so your will to achieve this level expertise and to be happy. I could say fairly that I once wanted to study string theory, black holes, loop quantum gravity, gamma-ray bursts and particle physics but through some subjective rational thought I came to the conclusion that none of this will satisfy my future need to live a comfortable life. Thinking about these ideas is ravishing, I absolutely love it and I'm sure you do too but when it comes down to the statistical analysis the chance of making a great impact in a field and even preceding that, getting a job to study cosmology is very slim. I'd advise you to think more about these ideas as you're still very young and have quite a few years ahead of you.

Man, way to go killjoy.

To the original poster, give physics a try when you go to a university. You'll learn along the way whether or not you would like to start the path to becoming a cosmologist or astronomer.

Hello! It's great to hear that you are interested in cosmology and have a passion for learning about the universe. Pursuing a career in cosmology or astronomy is an exciting and challenging path, and I applaud your curiosity and ambition at such a young age.

In terms of your education, I would recommend taking classes in both 11th and 12th grade, as well as pursuing a diploma in a related field such as physics or astrophysics. These courses will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics and science, which are essential for understanding and studying the complexities of the cosmos.

As for diploma courses specifically in cosmology, there are several universities that offer undergraduate and graduate programs in this field. I would suggest researching different programs and their requirements to find the best fit for you.

In terms of advice, I would encourage you to continue exploring your interests in cosmology and astronomy, and to also broaden your knowledge by learning about other scientific disciplines. It's important to have a well-rounded understanding of various fields in order to fully comprehend the complexities of the universe.

Additionally, I would recommend getting involved in extracurricular activities related to cosmology, such as joining a science club or participating in science fairs. These experiences can provide valuable hands-on learning opportunities and help you connect with others who share your interests.

Overall, my advice is to continue pursuing your passion for cosmology and astronomy, stay curious, and never stop learning. Best of luck on your journey to becoming a cosmologist or astronomer!

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It seeks to understand the fundamental questions about the universe, such as its age, composition, and how it has changed over time.

2. Why is cosmology important?

Cosmology is important because it helps us to understand our place in the universe and how the universe itself works. It also has practical applications, such as understanding the origins of the elements and developing technologies like space travel.

3. How do scientists study cosmology?

Scientists study cosmology through a combination of theoretical and observational methods. This includes using telescopes and satellites to gather data from distant objects in the universe, as well as developing mathematical models and simulations to test theories.

4. What are some current topics in cosmology?

Some current topics in cosmology include dark matter and dark energy, the origins of the universe and the Big Bang theory, and the search for habitable planets and extraterrestrial life. Other areas of study include the expansion of the universe, cosmic inflation, and the fate of the universe.

5. How does cosmology relate to other branches of science?

Cosmology is an interdisciplinary field that intersects with many other branches of science, including astrophysics, particle physics, and astronomy. It also has connections to philosophy, mathematics, and computer science. By collaborating with other fields, cosmologists can gain a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.