Want to go with cosmology

• Thread starter whyonlyme
  • Start date
Hi,
I am 15 years old boy. I've just appeared from 10th grade exams. I am intrested in cosmos. I like Stephen Hawking's shows too much, and other shows which are related wih cosmos. I want to become cosmologist or astronomoer.

I've much curosity about cosmos. I am intrested in Blackholes, Warmholes, want to creat some way for time travel. And one of the BIG question " Is there life on other planet ? ".

I want to ask do I go with 11th and 12th grade class or go with diploma ? Is there any diploma course for cosmology ?

And any suggestion that u would like to give to me ??

Thnx.................................

Answers and Replies

If English is your native tongue I'd suggest that you improve the way you type (I hope that you don't speak like this to people personally).

Now onto the questions. A recurring theme on Physics Forums is young students having a romanticized perspective of modern science topics. I don't deny your passion or love for the subject but more so your will to achieve this level expertise and to be happy. I could say fairly that I once wanted to study string theory, black holes, loop quantum gravity, gamma-ray bursts and particle physics but through some subjective rational thought I came to the conclusion that none of this will satisfy my future need to live a comfortable life. Thinking about these ideas is ravishing, I absolutely love it and I'm sure you do too but when it comes down to the statistical analysis the chance of making a great impact in a field and even preceding that, getting a job to study cosmology is very slim. I'd advise you to think more about these ideas as you're still very young and have quite a few years ahead of you.

I read your post. First of all, English is not my first language. That's true.

I have aim to go with it and work in NASA. but after ur post. Now I'll think about it again..............

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Now onto the questions. A recurring theme on Physics Forums is young students having a romanticized perspective of modern science topics. I don't deny your passion or love for the subject but more so your will to achieve this level expertise and to be happy. I could say fairly that I once wanted to study string theory, black holes, loop quantum gravity, gamma-ray bursts and particle physics but through some subjective rational thought I came to the conclusion that none of this will satisfy my future need to live a comfortable life. Thinking about these ideas is ravishing, I absolutely love it and I'm sure you do too but when it comes down to the statistical analysis the chance of making a great impact in a field and even preceding that, getting a job to study cosmology is very slim. I'd advise you to think more about these ideas as you're still very young and have quite a few years ahead of you.
Man, way to go killjoy.

To the original poster, give physics a try when you go to a university. You'll learn along the way whether or not you would like to start the path to becoming a cosmologist or astronomer.