Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to hear something REALLY gross?

  1. Oct 30, 2004 #1
    My finger had a little bump on it and it hurt. I asked around and was told that it was a wart. It didn't look like those warts on the end of a witch's nose, but I guess there are different kinds. I went to the store and bought some Compound W band aids. I put one on the wart and all it did was kill all the good skin around the wart. that skin peeled off and I guess warts are like icebergs, because underneath the skin was a tumor. It was bright white and very smooth and shiny and it went all the way to the bone. It was also connected to ALOT of nerve endings cause it hurt, it REALLY hurt. I wasn't impressed with the band aids, so I went to the store and got some of the Freeze-Off stuff, which is just a 99 cent can of butane marked up to $23 and some hollow Qtips. That stuff showed me a whole new level of pain. I got to where I couldn't handle the constant pain, so I started digging around and finally got ahold of the wart with some tweezers. I pulled and it hurt and I pulled harder and it hurt more and I pulled and twisted and screamed and out it came. Now I have a big hole in my finger. Not one to let a learning experience slip by I dissected my tumor. It's bigger than a bb, maybe 4mm in diameter, and very hard, sort of rubbery. It looks like they grow like a water balloon. They don't break apart, but outer layers can be slipped off, like a rubber.
    oh, and it tastes bitter.
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2004 #2
    *vomit* :yuck:

    I once had warts on my hands somehow, like big painful ones on the tip of my thumb. Excruciating and the stupid kits from the store with acid would only kill the skin around it. Went to doctor repeatedly and they attempted to freeze-kill them over and over.

    Nothing worked and I had them for a couple years. Finally I had my wisdom teeth remove, and, due to an infection in my mouth I was given some antibiotic. That stuff made the warts (about a dozen) fall off in clumps within 48 hours.

    On the bright side, the nurse told me that people who have warts which won't go away are generally healthy people or something :tongue2: (don't know the truth in that)
     
  4. Oct 30, 2004 #3
    yeah, but the only reason they are healthy is because no one wants to be around them. Therefore there is a lower risk from infectious disease.
     
  5. Oct 30, 2004 #4
    ummm.. you might want to go to the doctors to make sure that doesn't get infected.. big holes in fingers tend to be proned to that.
     
  6. Oct 30, 2004 #5
    nah, I don't worry about infections. I was always told that when you get a cut you should take a handful of dirt, spit in it and rub it into the cut.
     
  7. Oct 30, 2004 #6
    Don't forget the defecation and urination in the wound. Those are vital to your recovery.
     
  8. Oct 30, 2004 #7

    ....ewwww.

    Why were you tasting it???
     
  9. Oct 30, 2004 #8

    enigma

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I had one on my finger last year. I got the band-aid things and they worked for me.

    The way they work isn't to burn the wart off or anything like that. I basically just aggravates the tissue around and under the wart which causes your body's natural defenses to attack it.

    I used the band-aids for a week, and then stopped, convinced they weren't working. Three days later, the wart was gone.
     
  10. Oct 30, 2004 #9
    Real scientists are willing to sacrifice for knowledge.
    A Swedish chemist, Karl Scheele discovered 8 elements (but didn't get credit for them) chlorine, fluorine, manganese, barium, molybdenum, tungsten, nitrogen and oxygen as well as ammonia, glycerin and tannic acid and chlorine bleach. He tasted everything. He was also found dead in his lab surrounded by toxic chemicals.
     
  11. Oct 30, 2004 #10

    selfAdjoint

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

    I have been reading "Chasing the Molecule", a history of chemistry from Priestly and Lavoiseur to Kekule and the benzene ring. What struck me was how many of these early chemists died young, one went mad, and the book never connects it with their activities.
     
  12. Oct 30, 2004 #11

    Kerrie

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

    tribdog, you probably experienced the closest thing a woman experiences when she gives birth. congratulations to the newest addition of your family-a baby finger tumor.
     
  13. Oct 30, 2004 #12
    I named it, "Growthie"
     
  14. Oct 30, 2004 #13

    Moonbear

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I had one once on my hand, and those band-aid thingies didn't work for me either. I used them according to directions as long as I was supposed to, and all I ended up with was a more prominent wart because the skin all around it was peeling off. I didn't bother spending $23 on some spray-on remedy, I got a little piece of dry ice from the lab and burned it off with that. Yowie! I've burned myself with dry ice by accident before, and it's not nearly as painful as when you do that to a wart! Then again, as soon as dry ice starts to sting, I drop it or brush it off the skin it got onto, and with the wart I was purposely keeping it there until I had a big hole instead of a wart. But it worked.
     
  15. Oct 31, 2004 #14

    arildno

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

    tribdog:
    You might consider putting live maggots into your hole.
    There exist, from various wars, solid evidence that soldiers with open wounds containing maggots have a lower infection rate (and mortality rate) than soldiers without maggots in their wounds.
     
  16. Oct 31, 2004 #15

    Evo

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    I saw a tv show about the medical use of maggots. They're used to eat the dead and rotting flesh in very severe wounds, leaving the live tissue.

    Tribdog needs to wait until the flesh starts to rot, then add the maggots.
     
  17. Oct 31, 2004 #16

    arildno

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

    Well, then he SHOULD let it rot!
    It might be FUN, tribdog!
    Giving them names like Squirmer and Floppy and so on.
    Invite friends over to watch gobble contests and the like..
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  18. Oct 31, 2004 #17

    Kerrie

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

    appropriate topic for halloween...
     
  19. Oct 31, 2004 #18
    wow, this might sound like an exaggeration but it is not.
    That is the first time in my entire life, in any phase of my life, that I have been told I was doing the appropriate thing.
     
  20. Oct 31, 2004 #19
    I got a wart once and tried everything only to realise, after getting annoyed and opening it up with a needle, that there was a small stone inside. I found it quite funny.

    The Bob (2004 ©)
     
  21. Oct 31, 2004 #20
    you should have left it in there. That's how you make diamonds.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?