Want to make my own stickers that have that nice glitter texture

• Misc.
  • Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
In summary: But the requirements of an ink compatible with ink jet printers can be very hard to find. But if it is not too expensive, you can just experiment with an old printer that you don't use anymore.
kolleamm
I want to make my own stickers that have that nice glitter texture. For that I would need to print my design on top of some shiny paper. I know I can buy some but I want to make my own design patterns on the shiny paper. How can I make it?

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found out?

You may be able to use an inkjet or a laser printer to place your design onto reflective paper.
Search for 'Pearlescent Paper' or 'Metallic Paper'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallised_film

Baluncore said:
You may be able to use an inkjet or a laser printer to place your design onto reflective paper.
Search for 'Pearlescent Paper' or 'Metallic Paper'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallised_film
He didn't ask how to get the design ONTO the paper, he asked how to MAKE the paper himself. I think vapor deposition is a bit extreme for home-made paper. Of course, I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that he doesn't mean reflective paper, just paper with a shiny coat, as per his subject line.

@kolleamm how about you jump in here and tell us what you are really asking?

Last edited:
phinds said:
He didn't ask how to get the design ONTO the paper, he asked how to MAKE the paper himself.
kolleamm said:
I know I can buy some but I want to make my own design patterns on the shiny paper. How can I make it?
I don't think the multiple interpretations of the question should be restricted until the OP clarifies the question.
A beginner entering a new field often lacks the ability to ask a concise question or to sum up their confusion when requested. To do research requires search terms. So to get the ball rolling I provided two terms and a general link to the metallisation of films.
Hopefully kolleamm's next post will refine the subject.

Likes sysprog and phinds
Maybe we need the OP to clarify first, but I think @dlgoff has experience making labels from scratch for some of his instrument restoration projects...

Likes dlgoff and sysprog
berkeman said:
Maybe we need the OP to clarify first...
Uh, why is there a "maybe" in that sentence? :smile:

Likes sysprog
Don has been able to read my mind several times, but we're pretty like-minded. I don't know if that helps. o0)

Likes dlgoff and sysprog
Hi everyone thanks for your responses, I did try to research how to make it but the information I found on google just talked about making reflective paper without a specific pattern.

So to clarify things - there’s reflective paper, and when you move it around you can see a distinct pattern of glitter on it, whether it’s diagonal lines, circular lines or whatever. How can I make that pattern of glitter?
After I make that pattern then I would print my design on top of it.

kolleamm said:
Hi everyone thanks for your responses, I did try to research how to make it but the information I found on google just talked about making reflective paper without a specific pattern.

So to clarify things - there’s reflective paper, and when you move it around you can see a distinct pattern of glitter on it, whether it’s diagonal lines, circular lines or whatever. How can I make that pattern of glitter?
After I make that pattern then I would print my design on top of it.
I'm sorry but your second post did not clarify much.

Do you want to reproduce the exact pattern of glitter, as in photographically? How accurate a reproduction?

Does the reproduction need to glitter also, or just match the pattern?

Does the result with your design need to be durable? waterproof?

What size paper are you talking about?

Likes sysprog
I would like the pattern to match a computer image I design
Accuracy : decent doesn’t need to be perfect
It needs to glitter : preferably
Durable : no
Waterproof : yes
Size : business card size

A simple pattern cut from sheet material could be used to mask an area of the paper. Then;

1. Lowest technology. Spray adhesive, remove the mask then immediately apply glitter to the sticky surface. Blow off the excess glitter.

2. Medium technology. Use a standard photographic process to make a silk screen. Print an adhesive A onto the paper, then apply the reflective glitter material. Thermoset, or expose to chemical part B to cure the glue.

3. Higher technology; Mask vacuum deposition of say aluminium metal onto a textured paper surface.

• Informative
Likes sysprog, anorlunda and kolleamm
What about using a special printer ink to print it directly onto a sheet? Does such ink exist? A reflective ink?

kolleamm said:
What about using a special printer ink to print it directly onto a sheet? Does such ink exist? A reflective ink?
A search for "reflective ink" gives many hits. You can buy it on Amazon. There is even a hit for screen printing using reflective inks.

But the requirements of an ink compatible with ink jet printers can be very hard to find. But if it is not too expensive, you can just experiment with an old ink cartridge.

But a reflective image and a glitter image are not the same thing Is reflective what you really meant?

More mixed thoughts on the subject.

Glitter requires many small mirror surfaces, such as a powdered reflective crystal or fragments of metalised film. That material will not pass through the fine passages of an inkjet printer.

Photocopier toner is a coloured, thermoplastic, electrical insulator powder, that is electrostatically placed, then fused to melt it onto the paper. Crystal faces would be very small, then lost in the fusion process. The best reflectors are conductive metals. That precludes photocopier or laser printer technology.

UV florescent chemicals could be applied, but they would not provide specular glitter, and they require daylight or UV to excite the process.

How can you print a chemistry that can later grow larger metal crystal faces on the surface of paper? Growing the crystals requires a wet surface to allow diffusion of the chemistry, or you must go for a dry vacuum deposition process. Diamonds are vacuum deposited onto machine tool cutters.
Thoughts of photographic paper come to the fore, but you need reflective crystals on the surface, not black silver chemistry.

Likes sysprog and kolleamm
Thank you all for your advice so far.
I was thinking, since it's fairly complex to deposit glitter onto a paper, what if I just printed on top of reflective paper with enough spacing between the pixels to give the appearance of glitter? Although the ink wouldn't be reflective, every other pixel would be.

I'm hoping to achieve something like the sheet in this image.

Attachments

• glitter image.jpg
    glitter image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 305
Likes sysprog
Obviously that image is printed with normal colours. Do you want the small patches to glint and change brightness as you change the direction of illumination or your viewpoint?

Likes sysprog
Baluncore said:
Obviously that image is printed with normal colours. Do you want the small patches to glint and change brightness as you change the direction of illumination or your viewpoint?
Yes that’s exactly what I need

A variety of patterned iridescent papers are available from craft and art stores.

Print on them, cut to size?
They are usually light weight paper, but could be glued (or adhered in some way) to something thicker and then cut.

Laminating with foils is a popular hobby (I'm told) so perhaps see what one of their forums recommend?

I think some patterned foils are made by laser engraving or pressing fine lines into plastic film before it's metalised? Think that might be difficult to DIY.

1. How do I create a glitter texture on my stickers?

To create a glitter texture on your stickers, you can either use a glitter adhesive or add glitter to your sticker design before printing. You can also use a glitter top coat or spray after printing to achieve a glittery finish.

2. What materials do I need to make my own glitter stickers?

You will need sticker paper, a printer, scissors or a cutting machine, glitter, and adhesive (if not using glitter adhesive). Optional materials include a top coat or spray for added shine and durability.

3. Can I use any type of glitter for my stickers?

Yes, you can use any type of glitter for your stickers. However, fine or ultra-fine glitter tends to work best for creating a smooth and even texture on stickers.

4. How do I ensure the glitter stays on my stickers?

If you are using glitter adhesive, make sure to apply a generous amount to your sticker design. If you are adding glitter to your design before printing, make sure to use a strong adhesive to keep the glitter in place. Additionally, using a top coat or spray after printing can help seal the glitter and prevent it from falling off.

5. Can I make my own glitter stickers without a cutting machine?

Yes, you can still make your own glitter stickers without a cutting machine. You can either cut the stickers by hand using scissors or use a paper punch to create different shapes. Alternatively, you can also order pre-cut sticker paper online or at a local print shop.