How to Find the Vertex of f(x)=x^2+4x+1 | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter poohbear1986
  • Start date
In summary, the function f(x)=x^2+4x+1 has a vertex at the point (-2,-3) and the x-coordinate of the vertex is -2. This can be found by using the Completing the Square method or by finding the turning point of the function.
poohbear1986
Consider the function f(x)=x^2+4x+1

a)Find h, the x-coordinate of the vertex of this parabola.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
poohbear1986 said:
Consider the function f(x)=x^2+4x+1

a)Find h, the x-coordinate of the vertex of this parabola.

This must be related to Completing the Square. Your new version of the function (standard form) will contain information for the translated (moved away from standard position) graph, based on (h, k); you read this point directly from the function in standard form. Your book explains Completing the Square; are you using no intermediate algebra or no "elementary functions" book?

How can you possibly "make sure you are doing this right" when you haven't done anything? Show us what you have done and then we can tell you whether you are doing it right or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
f(x) = x^2 + 4x + 1
= x^2 + 4x + (2)^2 - (2)^2 + 1
= (x + 2)^2 - 3

coordinates of the turning point (-2, -3), hence the x-coordinate, h = -2

OR

f(x) = x^2 + 4x + 1

f '(x) = 2x + 4

at the turning point f '(x) = 0

2x + 4 = 0

2x = -4

x = -2

therefore, h the x-coordinate of the vertex of this parabola equals to -2

Hope my answer is correct...

1. How do I know if I am following the proper scientific method?

The scientific method involves a series of steps, including making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. As long as you are following these steps and using proper controls, you are following the scientific method correctly.

2. What is the best way to ensure accuracy in my experiments?

The best way to ensure accuracy in your experiments is to use proper controls, carefully record all data, and repeat your experiments multiple times. This will help to minimize any errors and increase the reliability of your results.

3. How can I be sure that my results are valid?

To ensure validity, it is important to use a large sample size, control for variables, and use reliable measurement tools. Additionally, having your work peer-reviewed by other scientists can help to confirm the validity of your results.

4. What should I do if my results do not support my hypothesis?

If your results do not support your hypothesis, it is important to analyze your data and consider alternative explanations. This could lead to new discoveries and a revised hypothesis for further experimentation.

5. How can I improve the reproducibility of my experiments?

To improve the reproducibility of your experiments, it is important to provide detailed methods and materials, use standardized procedures, and share your data with other scientists. This allows for others to replicate your experiments and verify your results.