Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to see the old PF?

1. May 28, 2005 #1
    I know many of you already know about the Internet Archive at http://web.archive.org/, but for those who don't--

You can see the old PhysicsForums.com website as far back as 2001!
    Click here: http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.physicsforums.com

I've only been a PF member since last year, but even I feel like I'm going down memory lane! :tongue2:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

AH! different!

4. May 28, 2005 #3
    Different is right... the PF banner we use has recently been changed. I forgot what the previous one looked like until now.

5. May 28, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe that in the VERY early days, PF used to have a different internet address. I forgot what it was, maybe Greg still has that information?

6. May 28, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

I like the old banner

7. May 28, 2005 #6

graphic7

Gold Member

Physicsforums has had many different IP addresses:

216.220.25.121 (current)

In fact, Physicsforums was originally hosted on NT4 then Windows 2000, and eventually Linux.

8. May 28, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

you know this!? :eek:

9. May 28, 2005 #8

graphic7

Gold Member

10. May 31, 2005 #9
    I had forgotten what my logo had been...

- Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

3 years later and I'm still waiting..lol

11. Jun 1, 2005 #10

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Having been here since 2001, I'm amazed at how much PF has grown since that time.

he is the "technology guru" after all

12. Jun 1, 2005 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I joined in the first few weeks of the 2nd version of PF, just a few hundred members and a handful of regular posters. I recall a gathering some data on the rate people where signing up and predicting that we would surpass 2000 members in mid to late Aug of '02. I think it happened in Sept 02.

If I were to just be joining up there is no way that I would even be considered for a Mentor-ship, there are now many members whose knowledge exceed mine. In the early days there where very few degreed members and those that were did not have the time to take a Mentor-ship. I was honored at the offer and gladly accepted. Though Greg had to send me a email to draw my attention to the flashing PM flag!

The existence of so many knowledgeable members makes this job easier now then in the early days. Generally I do not have to worry about threads going with no response. My only concern is when I see a thread growing with no responses from advisor's.

13. Jun 1, 2005 #12

JamesU

Gold Member

your info says you've been here since 2003

14. Jun 1, 2005 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yomomma,

The site has been "restarted" afresh several times, after major software upgrades.

- Warren

15. Jun 1, 2005 #14
    yes I thought it was unfair that the post count didn't get to move with you..some of you might be post-it-aires by now!

16. Jun 1, 2005 #15
    The number of posts you make is not as important as the quality of them... ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?