Aspiring Astronaut: How To Reach Your Goal of Working at NASA

• Thread starter Kishlay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nasa Work
In summary, it appears that you need to be a US citizen in order to be an astronaut for NASA. However, it is possible to become an astronaut if you have the qualities and meet the requirements. There is a lot of work involved, but it is worth pursuing if you have the dream. The best way to pursue your goal is to read biographies of other successful astronauts and Cosmonauts.
Kishlay
I am an aspiring astronaut want to go in International Space Station also want to work in nasa. I am a 16 year old guy from India...will complete studies till 20... I want to know what are the criterion for reaching my goal, has all the qualities which an aspirant should have.. just need a source of light for guidance... what are the degrees needed to have...?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be a US citizen to be an astronaut for NASA. It appears that India has a space program as well called ISRO. Perhaps that's what you should be looking at?

My source is here:

http://astronauts.nasa.gov/content/faq.htm

That also answers many of your questions. However, citizenship is a requirement...

Likes 1 person
Kishlay said:
I am an aspiring astronaut ...
I doubt ISRO has a space programme involving astronauts yet. It's mostly unmanned missions, so unless that changes anytime in the coming years (as it should), you're better off looking into NASA and getting that US citizenship.

Likes 1 person
thanks for all of you people...
for helping me...

Not to burst your bubble, but you might want to read this to inject a degree of reality:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=667559

Moral of the story: there is an extremely strong possibility that, at your age, what you think you want to do will probably not be what you end up doing.

There is something else that needs to be mentioned here. Organizations such as NASA actually do not have a lot of employed scientists as most think. If you look at many of the NASA projects (for example, look at various publications in journals), most of the people who are listed on these NASA projects are actually employed by other institutions, especially universities and national laboratories. They do not work for NASA! They may be working on a project funded by NASA, but they are not NASA employees! Go check it out. Look at the Mars Rover project, for example, and see who someone like Steve Squyres, the project PI, works for.

Zz.

Last edited:
let us see what happens in the future...

by examining your poll.. currently it was ~5%... but the probability is not 0...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kishlay said:
let us see what happens in the future...

by examining your poll.. currently it was ~5%... but the probability is not 0...!

I can only lead a horse to the water...

Zz.

Hi Kishlay,

Something to keep in mind is that when you have a dream like this, a lot of people are going to bring up the realities and probabilities involved and it will be easy to become disenfranchised. But I think... particularly for someone who is 16, that it's important to have dreams like this, and to chase them.

I would highly recommend Chris Hadfield's recent book: An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth. Colonel Hadfield decided he wanted to become an astronaut when he was very young as well, but he was not American. There was no Canadian space program at the time. And yet, he persisted. He became one of the top pilots in the world and when Canada did develop a space program, he was one of the handful of potential astronauts selected. He has been to space three times now, I believe, most recently in a six month mission as the commander of the International Space Station.

Sure, the odds are stacked highly against you. But this is the kind of dream that there is value in pursuing. Say in your endeavour you become a scientist, a pilot, an engineer or a medical doctor - all are constructive professions that could allow you to do a lot of good in the world.

Read the biographies of other successful astronauts and cosmonauts. They'll give you an idea of what the "right stuff" is - or at least what it has been.

Likes TheCanadian and Kishlay
ZapperZ said:
I can only lead a horse to the water...

Zz.

never ever underestimate a potential of a human being... as I have said earlier, THE PROBABILITY IS NOT '0'... i don't believe in arguing with you... i will come with flying colours one day... and may god keep you alive to see that day.:smile:

choppy... thank you for guiding me...

1. How do I become an astronaut?

To become an astronaut, you must first have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as engineering, science, or mathematics. You also need to have at least three years of related professional experience or 1,000 hours of pilot-in-command time in a jet aircraft. Additionally, you must pass a rigorous physical examination and complete a training program at NASA.

2. What kind of training is required to work at NASA?

The type of training required depends on the specific job at NASA. For astronauts, they must complete a 2-year training program that includes simulations, academic classes, and physical training. Other NASA employees may undergo specialized training based on their job responsibilities, such as engineering, research, or mission control.

3. Can I become an astronaut if I have a disability or medical condition?

Yes, NASA has a policy of accommodating individuals with disabilities and medical conditions. However, certain medical conditions may disqualify you from becoming an astronaut, as the job requires a high level of physical and mental fitness. It is best to check with NASA's medical office for specific guidance.

4. Is there an age limit for becoming an astronaut?

The minimum age for becoming an astronaut is 18 years old. There is no maximum age limit, but most astronauts are selected between the ages of 26 and 46. Age can be a factor in the selection process, as NASA looks for individuals who can handle the physical and mental demands of spaceflight.

5. What qualities and skills do I need to be a successful astronaut?

To be a successful astronaut, you need to have excellent physical and mental health, as well as the ability to work well in a team and handle stressful situations. Attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and adaptability are also important qualities to have. Additionally, having a background in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) can be beneficial for a career at NASA.