1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to work in R&D in polymers

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1
    Chemical engineering topics like heat transfer, transport, separations etc. never really appealed to me. But I really like research, and I think R&D is the place for me in industry. In order to work in R&D, I need an advanced degree. But I'm currently trying to decide what's the best way to get to my destination (eg. MS or Phd).

Can I get into R&D positions I like if I have a MS and work my way up in industry? Or do I need a PhD in order to have a decent position? The thing with PhD's is that there's like a dichotomy of perspectives that splits between "PhD is a rewarding experience" and "PhD is underpaid labor and it narrows your opportunities for jobs".

advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2012 #2
    do you have a job already lined up? i heard twofish quant say this before: don't make choices until you have a choice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook