Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wanted by the French

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Our company has been took over by a French corporation, one of the reasons for the take over was the record of minimal machine down time, and they want me to explain
    why this down time is so low, how can i tell them that i am the biggest bodger on the planet, and work by intuition rather than logic?
    I do not even want to go to France, i have been there done that before, all over the continent and beyond, any way i would have to buy a new wardrobe, i doubt my monogramed over alls would fit in a French cafe.
    How can i get out of this situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2007 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Have them check your testoseron level, and they will immediately accuse you of doping since you're levels will be well beyond any French male.

4. Sep 21, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Saying that you go on intuition only says that you know the equipment extremely well.

Ask them when they plan to elect a real leader, like Bush. :biggrin:

5. Sep 21, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps you could get out of the traveling part by suggesting it would be best to show them on the existing equipment than to try to explain it in some office somewhere, so the French execs should come to you rather than you go to them.

(Ivan's suggestion might get you out of it too, but I'm not sure what other trouble it might get you into. :rofl:)

Then again, who knows, if you wear your monogrammed coveralls into a French cafe and look real confident and even show off the look as a fashion statement, maybe next year's fashion fad will be monogrammed coveralls. :biggrin:

6. Sep 21, 2007 #5
    I have to go with Ivan on this one. Do whatever it takes not to go over there. It's all Starbucks, McDonald's and Jerry Lewis, a real cultural desert.

7. Sep 21, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are only visiting as a consultant it is a very nice place to work - assuming you are outside Paris. 2 hour lunches to discuss problems are much more pleasant and a lot more productive than powerpoint presentations.
    They do take food and lunch seriously - expect to see the forklift driver in overalls arguing with the chef about the wine list!

Actually trying to run a business or live there is impossible.

8. Sep 21, 2007 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember the old joke about the repair guy who got fired in a company takeover, then was hired as a consultant to fix some problem that nobody else could solve. When he submitted an invoice for $100,000, the company refused to pay and asked him to justify the huge cost. His reply was:

For fixing problem, by hitting machine with large hammer: $1.00
    For knowing where to hit it: $99,999.00

:cool:

9. Sep 21, 2007 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You better learn this on your way out there.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N2zSfNpUxT8

I'd say just go with it. France is a very relaxing place, and nobody will care what you wear in their cafe. Ahh I love french cafes.

10. Sep 21, 2007 #9
    Agree, go for it, Wolram. You can do it. Consider this; you can help them and they will be grateful. That's how the world should work.

Besides France is a great country. Incredible geology, 30,000 years old archeology, cave paintings.

Alors, on y va!

11. Sep 21, 2007 #10

wolram

Gold Member

It was the same every time went abroad working, every one thinks it is so good, but
    when you work on a factory estate at some back and beyond place and live from a hotel room it sure is a trial.

12. Sep 21, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Best idea. They ought to come and see what they bought.

Add a beret and you've got it made.

13. Sep 21, 2007 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Tact is not my strong point, it is amazing i have still have this job after telling some senior people what i think, i can just imagine them rubbing their hand hands together
    at the thought of me putting my foot in it with the French.

14. Sep 21, 2007 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Je suis le plus grand bodger au monde"?

:biggrin:

15. Sep 21, 2007 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Oh, row locks, i took carpentry instead of French.

16. Sep 21, 2007 #15
    Haha, MIH is answering your question. That's how you tell them you are the biggest bodger on the planet. Not that I believe it, but that is how you would say it.

Tell them trees that fall in the forest can only make a sound when nobody is listening and if they try to take the cat out of this box then they will have to clean up the mess.

17. Sep 21, 2007 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Except for the "bodger" part. Probably translates into some filthy verb, but I was too lazy to investigate.

18. Sep 21, 2007 #17
    You could always stretch a rubber band and aim it at their face. Then in a stern voice say, "Surrender." That works every time.

19. Sep 21, 2007 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget to add le, la or l' in front of every noun. :biggrin:

20. Sep 21, 2007 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Cheers buddy, you trying to get me in the tom tit. LOL

21. Sep 21, 2007 #20

wolram

Gold Member

I think i will do an EVO when the time comes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?