1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wanted: Equation for Distance Traveled Given Time

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1
    Hi --

I know this is so easy but right now I am a box of rocks. I think I am doing too much calculus and physcis problems and just can not think of the simple things.

What I am trying to do is solve this problem.

A crate with mass 34.0 initially at rest on a warehouse floor is acted on by a net horizontal force of 140

1) What acceleration is produced?

Answer is 4.12 m/s^2

2) How far does the crate travel in 14.0 s?

I know the initial position is 0 since the crate is at rest, and the acceleration is constant here so I need to figure the final position after 14.0 seconds at this acceleration.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    Google saved the day for me.

x = v_i(t) + .5a(t^2)
  4. Sep 25, 2004 #3
    well d^2(x)/dt^2 = a right?
    integrate once to get dx/dt = at + c . We know v(0) = 0 since it was initially at rest dx/dt = at

integrate again to get position: x(t) = 1/2*a*t^2 + c. we can use the original starting point as x(0) = 0 so c = 0

You are given a time and an acceleration so... plug it in. Don't worry it happens to the best of us (me not being the best but shrug)
  5. Sep 25, 2004 #4
    thanks for the calculus approach. i think now i can remember what to do using calculus :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?