Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wanted: MSDS

1. Mar 21, 2003 #1
    I need a Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for a chemical called 4-Methyl-1-acetoxycalix[6]arene commonly referred to as Calixarene.

I'll be your friend if you find it for me... and if you're a girl, I'll even be your boyfriend.

Thanks.

eNtRopY

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2003 #2

Njorl

Science Advisor

I believe you could get it from Sigma-Aldrich, but you would have to register at their website, sigmaaldrich.com.

Njorl

4. Mar 21, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No luck, don't you have some other formula's, suppliers?

5. Mar 21, 2003 #4
    This is all the information I have concerning 4-Methyl-1-acetoxycalix[6]arene.

I've attempted to contact a sales representative, but no one from this company has responded to my emails.

eNtRopY

6. Mar 21, 2003 #5
    I can talk with my Chemistry professor to see of she can get her hands on the MSDS.

You made a request for an MSDS (for your wellbeing). Aren't they, by law, required to provide you with one?

7. Mar 21, 2003 #6
    The company is in Japan, and they do have a MSDS on their website... except it's written in Japanese.

The problem is that Calixarene is a very new, state-of-the-art photoresist used for special nanotech applications. I only want the MSDS because the cleanroom manager at my school told me I can't bring this substance into the lab until I provide him with a MSDS.

eNtRopY

8. Mar 26, 2003 #7
    Well, the Tokyo Kasei Kogyo Company finally faxed me a MSDS for Calixarene on Tuesday. I just thought I'd be fair and let everyone know that this company actually does help its customers... eventually.

eNtRopY

9. Mar 26, 2003 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good!

So any shocking hazards on that sheet or is the chemical pretty inert.

10. Mar 26, 2003 #9
    Oh yes, it is very informative.

Section III. Hazards Identification
    Chronic Health Effects
    Carcinogenic Effects: Not available.
    Mutagenic Effects: Not available.
    Teratogenic Effects: Not available.
    Developmental Toxicity: Not available.

Section V. Fire and Explosion Data
    Flummability: Combustible.
    Auto-Ignition: Not available.
    Flash Points: Not available.
    Flammable Limits: Not avaiable.
    Combustible Products: These products are toxic carbon oxides (CO, CO2).
    Fire Hazards: No specific information is available regarding the flammability of this compound in the presence of various materials.
    Explosion Hazards:
    Risks of explosion of the product in presence of mechanical impact: Not available.
    Risks of explosion of the product in presence of static discharge: Not available.
    No additional information is available regarding the risks of explosion.

eNtRopY

11. Mar 26, 2003 #10

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't they have an international symbol for "Duh, I dunno..." that they could have put in there? That way you could have read the Japanese MSDS

12. Mar 26, 2003 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lol, I'd wear your biohazard suit if I were you. Who knows what it does with you if every single scientist trying to find out the toxicity of this chemical died in the process :P

13. Mar 26, 2003 #12
    <sigh> we lost a lot of good chemists that way... back in the day when they used to *taste* stuff.

or poor ms. curie... zapping herself to death. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?