Where Can I Find an MSDS for Calixarene?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about a person asking for a Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for a chemical called 4-Methyl-1-acetoxycalix[6]arene, commonly referred to as Calixarene. The person suggests checking Sigma-Aldrich's website and possibly asking a Chemistry professor for help. However, the company in Japan only has the MSDS in Japanese. Eventually, the Tokyo Kasei Kogyo Company provides the MSDS. The MSDS states that the chemical is combustible and may produce toxic carbon oxides in a fire, but there is no information available on its carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic, or developmental toxicity effects. The conversation also includes
eNtRopY
I need a Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for a chemical called 4-Methyl-1-acetoxycalix[6]arene commonly referred to as Calixarene.

I'll be your friend if you find it for me... and if you're a girl, I'll even be your boyfriend.

Thanks.

eNtRopY

Biology news on Phys.org
I believe you could get it from Sigma-Aldrich, but you would have to register at their website, sigmaaldrich.com.

Njorl

No luck, don't you have some other formula's, suppliers?

This is all the information I have concerning 4-Methyl-1-acetoxycalix[6]arene.

I've attempted to contact a sales representative, but no one from this company has responded to my emails.

eNtRopY

I can talk with my Chemistry professor to see of she can get her hands on the MSDS.

You made a request for an MSDS (for your wellbeing). Aren't they, by law, required to provide you with one?

Originally posted by Sting
Aren't they, by law, required to provide you with one?

The company is in Japan, and they do have a MSDS on their website... except it's written in Japanese.

The problem is that Calixarene is a very new, state-of-the-art photoresist used for special nanotech applications. I only want the MSDS because the cleanroom manager at my school told me I can't bring this substance into the lab until I provide him with a MSDS.

eNtRopY

Well, the Tokyo Kasei Kogyo Company finally faxed me a MSDS for Calixarene on Tuesday. I just thought I'd be fair and let everyone know that this company actually does help its customers... eventually.

eNtRopY

Good!

So any shocking hazards on that sheet or is the chemical pretty inert.

Oh yes, it is very informative.

Section III. Hazards Identification
Chronic Health Effects
Carcinogenic Effects: Not available.
Mutagenic Effects: Not available.
Teratogenic Effects: Not available.
Developmental Toxicity: Not available.

Section V. Fire and Explosion Data
Flummability: Combustible.
Auto-Ignition: Not available.
Flash Points: Not available.
Flammable Limits: Not avaiable.
Combustible Products: These products are toxic carbon oxides (CO, CO2).
Fire Hazards: No specific information is available regarding the flammability of this compound in the presence of various materials.
Explosion Hazards:
Risks of explosion of the product in presence of mechanical impact: Not available.
Risks of explosion of the product in presence of static discharge: Not available.
No additional information is available regarding the risks of explosion.

eNtRopY

Don't they have an international symbol for "Duh, I dunno..." that they could have put in there? That way you could have read the Japanese MSDS

lol, I'd wear your biohazard suit if I were you. Who knows what it does with you if every single scientist trying to find out the toxicity of this chemical died in the process :P

<sigh> we lost a lot of good chemists that way... back in the day when they used to *taste* stuff.

or poor ms. curie... zapping herself to death. :frown:

1. Where can I find an MSDS for Calixarene?

An MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Calixarene can be found on the website of the manufacturer or supplier of the chemical. It can also be obtained from government agencies that regulate the use of chemicals, such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) or the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

2. Is there a specific format for an MSDS for Calixarene?

Yes, there is a standardized format for MSDS that is required by OSHA. This format includes 16 sections, such as identification, hazards identification, composition/information on ingredients, first aid measures, and handling and storage. The MSDS for Calixarene should follow this format to provide accurate and consistent information.

3. What information is typically included in an MSDS for Calixarene?

An MSDS for Calixarene should contain information about the physical and chemical properties of the chemical, its potential hazards, recommended safety precautions, and emergency procedures. It should also include information on how to handle, store, and dispose of the chemical, as well as first aid measures in case of exposure or ingestion.

4. Are there any potential hazards associated with Calixarene?

Calixarene is generally considered to be a low hazard chemical, but it can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system if it comes in contact with them. It is important to follow safety precautions and proper handling procedures to avoid any potential risks.

5. How often should I review the MSDS for Calixarene?

It is recommended to review the MSDS for Calixarene at least once a year, or whenever there are changes in the chemical's composition or potential hazards. It is also important to review the MSDS before handling the chemical to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information on safety precautions and emergency procedures.