Can the Formula for the Number of Images by Two Inclined Mirrors Be Proven?

In summary, the formula for finding the number of images produced by two mirrors inclined at an angle of $ is 360/$ - 1. There is a request for a proof of this formula and a discussion about finding the positions of images when the angle satisfies the range of 360/(n+1) < θ < 360/n. There is also mention of the number of images being independent of the position of the observer and a request for a proof for a general angle. It is stated that any angle can be shown to satisfy the given criteria and the effect of inclination of the second mirror on the angle of incidence is mentioned.
shashank010288
The formula for no. of images by two mirrors inclined at $ angle is

[ 360/$]-1
can anybody prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider an angle

[tex]360/(n+1) < \theta < 360/n[/tex]

Find the positions of the images, starting from each of the pricipal images. When two images have the same position, stop.

I'll try this myself, when I find the time.

I want a proof for general angle

shashank010288 said:

Well, the first goal is to prove that the number of images is independent of the poistion of the observer, or perhaps you could specify the position of the observer.

shashank010288 said:

Any angle Ccan be shown to satisfy the above criteria for a suitable choice of n.

If the inclination of the second mirror with respect to the first is [itex]\beta[/itex] then the angle of incidence is increased by [itex]\beta / 2[/itex] at each reflection.

1. What is the purpose of the formula?

The purpose of the formula is to provide a mathematical representation of a phenomenon or relationship between variables. It can be used to make predictions, solve problems, or explain observations.

2. How was the formula developed?

The formula was developed through a systematic process of experimentation, observation, and analysis. Scientists use the scientific method to test hypotheses and refine theories until a reliable and accurate formula is obtained.

3. What evidence is needed to prove the formula?

To prove a formula, scientists need to provide empirical evidence through experiments or observations. This evidence should be reproducible and consistent with the predictions of the formula. Additionally, peer review and replication of the results by other scientists can further support the validity of the formula.

4. Can the formula be modified or improved?

Yes, formulas can be modified or improved as new evidence is discovered or as technology advances. Scientists continuously strive to refine and expand upon existing formulas to better understand the world around us.

5. How is the formula used in real-world applications?

The formula is often used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to make predictions and solve problems. It can also be applied in practical settings, such as in medicine, technology, and environmental studies. The formula's usefulness and reliability are continuously tested and validated through its real-world applications.