Stargazing in Georgia: Left or Right?

• Thread starter kimhen1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stargazing
In summary, the furthest star visible from Earth is not known, and it would depend on factors such as light pollution and individual eyesight. The furthest object visible with the naked eye is typically considered to be the Andromeda galaxy (M31), located 2.9 million light years away. Its position in the sky would be slightly north of west when looking south from Georgia in March. However, whether it is visible would depend on factors such as light pollution and individual eyesight.
kimhen1
Is the furthst star in the sky to the left or the right, when looking at the sky towards the south from Georgia (March/winter)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The furthest star is not known, nor is it visible.

Odd question - perhaps you could rephrase?

There are a number of issues here. First off you have to treat this as the further star you can see. The absolutely furthest star from Earth is not known (and outside the visible universe). Next problem is that it would depend on the level of light pollution. Light pollution hugely cuts down the number of stars you can see at any given time. Next is that two people with different levels of eye sight will be able to see different amounts of stars. Next problem is that in addition to location and date you need to give a time. The stars rotate around the north star throughout the night. The last thing I can think of is if you mean single stars or collections of stars the appear as a single point. Other galaxies as a whole are visible but individual stars in them aren't (to the naked eye).

I think the Andromeda galaxy (M31) is typically given as the furthest object you can see with the naked eye. It is our closest full galaxy neighbor, at 2.9 million light years. I opened up http://www.stellarium.org/" , which is a great program, and set my location to Atlanta, time as 9pm March 2nd 2008. With these settings M31 is slightly north of west. Which would mean it would be to your right if looking south. Whether you could actually see M31 depends on your light pollution and eyesight.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best time to go stargazing in Georgia?

The best time to go stargazing in Georgia is during the late summer and early fall months, as the skies are typically clear and the weather is more comfortable for outdoor activities.

2. Is it better to stargaze in Georgia from the left or right side of the state?

Both the left and right sides of Georgia offer great opportunities for stargazing. The key is to find a location with minimal light pollution and a clear view of the night sky.

3. Are there any specific locations in Georgia that are known for their stargazing views?

Yes, there are several locations in Georgia that are known for their stargazing views. Some popular spots include Brasstown Bald, Black Rock Mountain State Park, and Tallulah Gorge State Park.

4. What should I bring with me for a stargazing trip in Georgia?

It is recommended to bring a blanket or chair to sit on, warm clothing, a red light flashlight (to preserve night vision), a star map or stargazing app, and any necessary equipment such as a telescope or binoculars.

5. Can I see any specific constellations or celestial events while stargazing in Georgia?

Yes, there are several constellations and celestial events that can be seen while stargazing in Georgia, such as the Orion constellation, the Milky Way, and meteor showers like the Perseids in August. It is always a good idea to check online for any upcoming events or sightings before planning a stargazing trip.