Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wanted to know

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    Is the furthst star in the sky to the left or the right, when looking at the sky towards the south from Georgia (March/winter)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The furthest star is not known, nor is it visible.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Odd question - perhaps you could rephrase?

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4
    There are a number of issues here. First off you have to treat this as the further star you can see. The absolutely furthest star from Earth is not known (and outside the visible universe). Next problem is that it would depend on the level of light pollution. Light pollution hugely cuts down the number of stars you can see at any given time. Next is that two people with different levels of eye sight will be able to see different amounts of stars. Next problem is that in addition to location and date you need to give a time. The stars rotate around the north star throughout the night. The last thing I can think of is if you mean single stars or collections of stars the appear as a single point. Other galaxies as a whole are visible but individual stars in them aren't (to the naked eye).

I think the Andromeda galaxy (M31) is typically given as the furthest object you can see with the naked eye. It is our closest full galaxy neighbor, at 2.9 million light years. I opened up http://www.stellarium.org/" [Broken], which is a great program, and set my location to Atlanta, time as 9pm March 2nd 2008. With these settings M31 is slightly north of west. Which would mean it would be to your right if looking south. Whether you could actually see M31 depends on your light pollution and eyesight.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook