War Crimes in Gaza

• News
  • Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
mjsd
Homework Helper
You are twisting the wording. There is a difference between the target being civilian and civilians being at the target. Targeting civilians is murder, killing civilians because they are surrounding a military target is not.
There is no need to go into technicalities. The situation was clear (to some extend): Israeli soldiers fired at the school etc with civilians in it. The issue for me was really whether Israeli soldiers should knowingly fire at (what you may call) civilians at the target (now, there could even be a dispute whether this definition was indeed correct but let's not go into that).... and knowing quite well the possible outcry that may follow. The very fact that they risk to tarnish their own "good guy" image in order to achieve their objectives (whatever they were), gives me the impression that they either don't care about Palestinian civilians casualties or they knew they would get away with it anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered. I mean, one shouldn't go around and tell ppl how fair and considerate one is and then go on acting the opposite.
You just answered your own question.
so, you think eh?.... I was pointing out that we don't need to discuss Hamas because there is such a strong "consesus" on their actions. My interest is whether Israel was also in the wrong (hence, the war crimes discussion of this thread), which is clearly not settled. And these constant re-brandings, re-naming and re-definitions of what is what serve no good purpose other than distracting us from the real issue --- civilian deaths. I have no doubt that those who were caught in the crossfire, Palestinians or Israelis, don't care about your petit definitions. You may argue all night that these definitions are useful to determine what is justified and what is not, but that's just your point of view.
At the end of the day, it can never be justified in the eyes of those who suffered. Civilians caught in the crossfire is perhaps the most unfortunate situation.... and sooner we realise that the better, and more should be done at the international level to further discourage such actions. Or when the chickens come home to roast (and we become the victims ourselves), no one will sympathize wth us...

Evo
Mentor
Thread closed pending moderation.