Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

War of the Worlds gets the thumbs down

1. Jun 29, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

At least from the critic in my town.

Something to the effect of "How can steven speilberg, the greatest director of our time, do nothing more to a 50 year old name-sake then add a few computerized special effects".

Anyone think that all this crap with Cruise was entirely for the movie? I mean come on, marrige... that crap with the psychology thing... that fake reporter.... so much bs. I think its all staged because his acting isnt good enough to put seats in chairs :devil:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

4. Jun 29, 2005 #3
    i'm going to see it either tonight or tomorrow, and i can give you all my personal assesment. I'm aslo seeing mr. and mrs. smith, which i heard was decent.

5. Jun 29, 2005 #4
    how can three legged machines walk without falling over?

6. Jun 29, 2005 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, they could be dynamically balanced, or they could have big feet.
    (Humans have two legs, and have no trouble at all.)

7. Jun 29, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

or just reeeeeeaaaaalllly lucky.

8. Jun 29, 2005 #7

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that I think about it, it should be possible to have 3-legged walking with 5 joints: An actuator in each leg, and two (one-dimensional) hinges for two legs.

I doubt that's what the martians have in the move - the book calls for articulated appendages.

9. Jun 29, 2005 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, I wonder if this critic even knows that the name-sake is actually a 107 year old novel?

10. Jun 29, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

He's probably referring to the movie from 1953.

11. Jun 29, 2005 #10

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I realise that, I was just wondering if that was the extent of his familiarity with the story.

12. Jun 29, 2005 #11

Evo

Probably never read the story.

13. Jun 29, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ah crap, the "namesake" part was a word i couldnt remember. I heard him say it and was trying to write this thread with his exact quote but i forgot what word he actually used. Im not sure if hes read it or not but he must have seen the first movie...

14. Jun 29, 2005 #13
    didn't they have a radio brodcast about this in the 20s which people thought was a real news broadcast, not a story? i know something like that happened, i can't remember if it was war of the worlds

15. Jun 29, 2005 #14

Evo

Yes, it was read by Orson Welles in the 1930's.

16. Jun 29, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah and people went crazy! They had to get the police and army out to stop all the riots. Nice psychological incident thats still studied today according to whoever told me it :P

17. Jun 29, 2005 #16

Evo

18. Jun 29, 2005 #17
    Which, I just downloaded and am going to watch tonight. I plan on seeing the new one tomorrow so I'll give you guys a full review then.

19. Jun 29, 2005 #18

Evo

Yes, let us know what you think. I haven't watched the 50's version in years, but I thought it was good. Best sci-film of that era was "The Day the Earth Stood Still", PLEASE do not let them re-make that film.

20. Jul 1, 2005 #19

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

While this incarnation War lacked the social significance that the novel, the broadcast, and the original movie had, I enjoyed it. The suspense and tension never lets up. Frankly, this movie is damn near terrifying at times. The ending sucks, partially because its Spielberg and he has to make everything neat and tidy in a terribly contrived way, and partially because the method of demise that the aliens meet as envisioned by Wells in 1898 just no longer makes a whole lot of sense, especially since the explanation given in the book is not given here. That said, the ending only takes up several minutes and I can forgive it.

All in all, I think Spielberg's still got it. This isn't a great movie by any means, but its the best action movie I've seen in a long time. The directing is top-notch, too, considering that the script is pretty bad (not the dialogue, but the plot just doesn't make much sense) and the movie nonetheless sustains interest virtually all the way through. On top of that, he's paid a great deal of attention to detail, something other directors, espcially action directors, could take a hint from. Even the extras in this movie really act, instead of just running and screaming. It isn't easy making such a convincing movie with a poor screenplay, and I hope he gets credit for doing so. I can't even think of the last effective alien invasion film that didn't resort to camp or fantasy to hide its implausibility. Kudos to Steve for pulling it off.

21. Jul 3, 2005 #20

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well. I just got back from seeing the movie, and all in all it wasn't bad. I still would have liked to have seen them shy away from the need to "modernize" the story and instead film it as written (taking place at the end of the 19th century in England). But that aside, I think this movie did a better job of maintaining the flavor of the book than the 50's version.
    The Tim Robbins character seemed to be a combination of three characters from the book and I saw several other nods to the novel.

There is just one scene I wish that they could have worked in the film in some manner. (I had hopes during the Ferry scene, but they were dashed :frown:) and that is this :

[​IMG]

Thunderchild taking on two Martian tripods

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?