War of the Worlds gets the thumbs down

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the critic thinks that the movie from 1953 is better than the new one. He thinks that the psychological incident from the novel is still studied today, and that the ending sucks.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
At least from the critic in my town.

Something to the effect of "How can steven speilberg, the greatest director of our time, do nothing more to a 50 year old name-sake then add a few computerized special effects".

Anyone think that all this crap with Cruise was entirely for the movie? I mean come on, marrige... that crap with the psychology thing... that fake reporter... so much bs. I think its all staged because his acting isn't good enough to put seats in chairs :devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm going to see it either tonight or tomorrow, and i can give you all my personal assesment. I'm aslo seeing mr. and mrs. smith, which i heard was decent.

how can three legged machines walk without falling over?

stoned said:
how can three legged machines walk without falling over?

Well, they could be dynamically balanced, or they could have big feet.
(Humans have two legs, and have no trouble at all.)

NateTG said:
Well, they could be dynamically balanced,

or just reeeeeeaaaaalllly lucky.

Now that I think about it, it should be possible to have 3-legged walking with 5 joints: An actuator in each leg, and two (one-dimensional) hinges for two legs.

I doubt that's what the martians have in the move - the book calls for articulated appendages.

Pengwuino said:
At least from the critic in my town.

Something to the effect of "How can steven speilberg, the greatest director of our time, do nothing more to a 50 year old name-sake then add a few computerized special effects".
Hmm, I wonder if this critic even knows that the name-sake is actually a 107 year old novel?

Janus said:
Hmm, I wonder if this critic even knows that the name-sake is actually a 107 year old novel?
He's probably referring to the movie from 1953.

Evo said:

I realize that, I was just wondering if that was the extent of his familiarity with the story.

Janus said:
I realize that, I was just wondering if that was the extent of his familiarity with the story.
Probably never read the story.

Janus said:

Ah crap, the "namesake" part was a word i couldn't remember. I heard him say it and was trying to write this thread with his exact quote but i forgot what word he actually used. I am not sure if he's read it or not but he must have seen the first movie...

didn't they have a radio brodcast about this in the 20s which people thought was a real news broadcast, not a story? i know something like that happened, i can't remember if it was war of the worlds

1 said:
didn't they have a radio brodcast about this in the 20s which people thought was a real news broadcast, not a story? i know something like that happened, i can't remember if it was war of the worlds
Yes, it was read by Orson Welles in the 1930's.

1 said:

Yah and people went crazy! They had to get the police and army out to stop all the riots. Nice psychological incident that's still studied today according to whoever told me it :P

Evo said:
Which, I just downloaded and am going to watch tonight. I plan on seeing the new one tomorrow so I'll give you guys a full review then.

Smurf said:
Which, I just downloaded and am going to watch tonight. I plan on seeing the new one tomorrow so I'll give you guys a full review then.
Yes, let us know what you think. I haven't watched the 50's version in years, but I thought it was good. Best sci-film of that era was "The Day the Earth Stood Still", PLEASE do not let them re-make that film.

While this incarnation War lacked the social significance that the novel, the broadcast, and the original movie had, I enjoyed it. The suspense and tension never let's up. Frankly, this movie is damn near terrifying at times. The ending sucks, partially because its Spielberg and he has to make everything neat and tidy in a terribly contrived way, and partially because the method of demise that the aliens meet as envisioned by Wells in 1898 just no longer makes a whole lot of sense, especially since the explanation given in the book is not given here. That said, the ending only takes up several minutes and I can forgive it.

All in all, I think Spielberg's still got it. This isn't a great movie by any means, but its the best action movie I've seen in a long time. The directing is top-notch, too, considering that the script is pretty bad (not the dialogue, but the plot just doesn't make much sense) and the movie nonetheless sustains interest virtually all the way through. On top of that, he's paid a great deal of attention to detail, something other directors, espcially action directors, could take a hint from. Even the extras in this movie really act, instead of just running and screaming. It isn't easy making such a convincing movie with a poor screenplay, and I hope he gets credit for doing so. I can't even think of the last effective alien invasion film that didn't resort to camp or fantasy to hide its implausibility. Kudos to Steve for pulling it off.

Well. I just got back from seeing the movie, and all in all it wasn't bad. I still would have liked to have seen them shy away from the need to "modernize" the story and instead film it as written (taking place at the end of the 19th century in England). But that aside, I think this movie did a better job of maintaining the flavor of the book than the 50's version.
The Tim Robbins character seemed to be a combination of three characters from the book and I saw several other nods to the novel.

There is just one scene I wish that they could have worked in the film in some manner. (I had hopes during the Ferry scene, but they were dashed :frown:) and that is this :

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/martian.jpg

Thunderchild taking on two Martian tripods

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Yes, let us know what you think. I haven't watched the 50's version in years, but I thought it was good. Best sci-film of that era was "The Day the Earth Stood Still", PLEASE do not let them re-make that film.

Yah i heard someone saying "I really hope htey don't remake war of hte worlds" about 5 years ago. Thanks a lot Evo :grumpy:

Evo said:

Bonus question: Can you name the short story on which The Day the Earth Stood Still was based on? And what was the twist at the end of the story?

wow what the hell

i want to sue every damned individual involved with this piece of crap of a movie - right down to the make up artist and his/her apprentices

this was the biggest waste of 2 hours of my broadband I've spent to download this p.o.s and it wasnt even worth burning this crap on 2 CD-R's

i mean wow.. is the book this crappy, talentless, and completely.. wait did i mention crappy already? no this is far worse than crappy.. it doesn't even deserve to be spoken of kind of crappy.. i mean wow - there is absolutely no plot line here, absolutely no science, and absolutely no freaking artistic expression whatsoever.

I mean wow, NYU kids majoring in Film could have done a much better job for a $100 bucks

No, no. You think I'm done yet? I mean Independence Day had a plot - they even based most of it on certain historic events, and had spatial representation to it - most of the second part of the movie is in a god damned basement. The robot scenes are an insult to Electrical and Mechanical Engineers everywhere around the world. The damn human phaser guns or what the crap was that thing anyway is an insult to all Physicists and Chemists around the world. I mean wow they even got around to insults Biologists with their crap of an alien kind of creature that has the most complex eyesight and yet, somehow, the worst possible muscleskeleton system

Wow. With all honesty - whoever wrote this script, directed this movie, and played in it, is, in fact, a retard.

Whoa saying its better then independance day... thems fighting words you hear!

Independence Day is 20 magnitudes better than WotW

Janus said:
Bonus question: Can you name the short story on which The Day the Earth Stood Still was based on? And what was the twist at the end of the story?
What short story?? Oooh, do tell. I was hooked on that movie since I saw it as a child.

Evo said:
What short story?? Oooh, do tell. I was hooked on that movie since I saw it as a child.

It was Farewell to the Master by Harry Bates. It came out in 1940. The plot line does vary significantly from the movie.

Next:
cronxeh's scathing review of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where he asserts that is is an insult to Geographer's around the world due to its assertion of the existence of Oompa-Oompa Land.

Janus said:
Next:
cronxeh's scathing review of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where he asserts that is is an insult to Geographer's around the world due to its assertion of the existence of Oompa-Oompa Land.

THEY DID WHAT?!

Ok I just saw War of the Worlds. I think that it was too centered on the family and them surviving, not really how they are surviving, but just showing them going from town to town. They were always attacked in the same manner. Kinda repetetive. Aliens were really really really stupid, how can someone be able to balance something so huge on three legs yet not test to see if something on the planet you will take over can kill you? A lot of little things bugged me. It was an OK movie at best.

Oh..GOD! This movie is the worst piece of crap I've ever seen.
I didn't like the fact that everything was centered one one person. The whole world is under siege, people are dying everywhere, we're about to lose our planet and existence so the survival of one particular guy didn't got much sentiment from me.

The plot is full of loopholes. The aliens planned this attack for years and hid space shuttles under ground even before mankind existed? Puh-lease.

Not once was there a reference that the aliens came from Mars. Spielberg probably thought that in these days, since we know now that there's no life like THAT on Mars, he didn't make a mention of it. Still, a classic element has been killed.

I missed Jeff Wayne's "Eve of the war".
I`m a fan of Tom Cruise (seriously, he makes good movies: "Last Samurai" anyone?), but he couldn't do much to improve this joke of a film.

...birds landing on a tripod... get serious Steven...

Here's another site with some information about the 1938 broadcast and panic.

http://members.aol.com/jeff1070/wotw.html

the site said:
The next day, newspapers across the country carried stories of terrorized people hiding in basements, panic flight from New Jersey and New York, stampedes in theaters, heart attacks, miscarriages, and even suicides. During the months that followed, these stories were shown to have little if any substance, yet today the myth of War of the Worlds stampedes and suicides persists as part of American folklore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys serious? Is it that bad?
Well, I'm seing it on Sunday. I expected it would be good, with Spielberg and all.
Now I'm bumped.

its like a scifi version of Gigli

I know this is probably going to sound real stupid to you, but what would 'Gigli' be?

And, well, a movie can be not to good, but still enjoyable. Is it?