Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

War of the worlds

1. Jun 18, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It seems like the trailers and tv-spots are getting a little more indepth. Does it look like this movie will stay true to the book or go the normal path of screwing it up entirely? Ive never read hte book so :-/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a picture from a set for war of the worlds [​IMG]

In the original there were no jet airliners. the story has been moved in time, how true to HG Wells can it possibly be?

4. Jun 19, 2005 #3
    from trailers i can say that this movie gona be regular piece of hollywood BS.

5. Jun 19, 2005 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moved in time, moved in Location (US rather than UK), Added character (No daughter in original novel), and I'll bet they'll make the Invaders invunerable to attack ( As they did in the last movie, but which they were not in the novel).

6. Jun 19, 2005 #5
    The only thing I noticed was mentioned, that was the daughter. In fact it looks like a whole family (for Hollywood) but in the book it's just the dude and he has a friend here and a friend there but it's mainly the one guy's story. The book was awesome, but I'm a big H.G. Wells fan. If you've seen "The Time Machine" that came out a couple years ago, and read the book, you'll notice they are NOTHING like each other. In fact, the only thing the two had in common was that they were about A time machine. I imagine "War of the Worlds" is going to be the same case, but it still looks like an awesome flick.

7. Jun 19, 2005 #6

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the book he is married, but they get separated after he takes her to some relatives for safety's sake early on in the story. They are re-united in the end.

8. Jun 20, 2005 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

noooooooo, now why would I go see the movie if I know they'll reunite :cry:

9. Jun 20, 2005 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now there there, No need to cry. Remember, I was talking about the original novel by Wells. The chances of the movie following the same plot are extremely slim.

10. Jun 20, 2005 #9
    The daughter probably turns out to be a very convincing transvestite with an alien as a boyfriend???

Hurrah for Hollywood and it's unprobable plot twists.

11. Jun 20, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol i read the time machien coincadently a few months before it came out in theatres. I didnt know if i walked into the wrong theatre or something when i saw it however... everything didnt make sense.

12. Jun 20, 2005 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Tom Cruise is in it. It's guaranteed to be a POC. I'm surprised he's not going around to talk shows professing his deep knowledge in extra terrstrial life and how to combat it now that he's done a movie about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?