War of the Worlds: Will Movie Stay True to Book?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the trailers and tv spots seem to be getting more in-depth, and it looks like the movie is going to follow the same plot as the book, which is awesome. However, the chances of it following the same plot are extremely slim, and Tom Cruise is going to be in it, which is guaranteed to be a POC.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
It seems like the trailers and tv-spots are getting a little more indepth. Does it look like this movie will stay true to the book or go the normal path of screwing it up entirely? I've never read hte book so :-/

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a picture from a set for war of the worlds http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/warofworlds.JPG

In the original there were no jet airliners. the story has been moved in time, how true to HG Wells can it possibly be?

Last edited by a moderator:
from trailers i can say that this movie gona be regular piece of hollywood BS.

Integral said:
Here is a picture from a set for war of the worlds http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/warofworlds.JPG

In the original there were no jet airliners. the story has been moved in time, how true to HG Wells can it possibly be?

Moved in time, moved in Location (US rather than UK), Added character (No daughter in original novel), and I'll bet they'll make the Invaders invunerable to attack ( As they did in the last movie, but which they were not in the novel).

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I noticed was mentioned, that was the daughter. In fact it looks like a whole family (for Hollywood) but in the book it's just the dude and he has a friend here and a friend there but it's mainly the one guy's story. The book was awesome, but I'm a big H.G. Wells fan. If you've seen "The Time Machine" that came out a couple years ago, and read the book, you'll notice they are NOTHING like each other. In fact, the only thing the two had in common was that they were about A time machine. I imagine "War of the Worlds" is going to be the same case, but it still looks like an awesome flick.

False Prophet said:
The only thing I noticed was mentioned, that was the daughter. In fact it looks like a whole family (for Hollywood) but in the book it's just the dude and he has a friend here and a friend there but it's mainly the one guy's story.

In the book he is married, but they get separated after he takes her to some relatives for safety's sake early on in the story. They are re-united in the end.

Janus said:
In the book he is married, but they get separated after he takes her to some relatives for safety's sake early on in the story. They are re-united in the end.
noooooooo, now why would I go see the movie if I know they'll reunite :cry:

Monique said:
noooooooo, now why would I go see the movie if I know they'll reunite :cry:

Now there there, No need to cry. Remember, I was talking about the original novel by Wells. The chances of the movie following the same plot are extremely slim.

The daughter probably turns out to be a very convincing transvestite with an alien as a boyfriend?

Hurrah for Hollywood and it's unprobable plot twists.

False Prophet said:
The only thing I noticed was mentioned, that was the daughter. In fact it looks like a whole family (for Hollywood) but in the book it's just the dude and he has a friend here and a friend there but it's mainly the one guy's story. The book was awesome, but I'm a big H.G. Wells fan. If you've seen "The Time Machine" that came out a couple years ago, and read the book, you'll notice they are NOTHING like each other. In fact, the only thing the two had in common was that they were about A time machine. I imagine "War of the Worlds" is going to be the same case, but it still looks like an awesome flick.

lol i read the time machien coincadently a few months before it came out in theatres. I didnt know if i walked into the wrong theatre or something when i saw it however... everything didnt make sense.

Tom Cruise is in it. It's guaranteed to be a POC. I'm surprised he's not going around to talk shows professing his deep knowledge in extra terrstrial life and how to combat it now that he's done a movie about it.

1. Will the movie accurately depict the events and plot of the book?

It is impossible for a movie to stay 100% true to the book, as they are two different mediums of storytelling. However, the creators of the movie may strive to remain faithful to the main themes and major events of the book.

2. Will the movie include all the characters from the book?

It is unlikely that all characters from the book will be included in the movie, as some may not be essential to the plot or may be combined with other characters for the sake of storytelling. However, the main characters and their roles will most likely be present in the movie.

3. Will the movie have the same ending as the book?

The ending of the movie may differ from the book, as the creators may choose to add or change certain elements for a more dramatic or satisfying conclusion. However, the overall outcome of the story should remain similar.

4. Will the movie explore the same themes and messages as the book?

The movie may not explicitly address all the themes and messages present in the book, as it may have a different focus or interpretation of the story. However, the main themes and messages should still be present in some form.

5. Will the movie use the same setting and time period as the book?

The movie may choose to update the setting and time period to appeal to a modern audience or to enhance the visuals and special effects. However, the overall atmosphere and tone of the book should still be captured in the movie.