Is Legalization the Solution to the War on Drugs?

• News
  • Thread starter JOEBIALEK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs
In summary, the State Department's annual drug-trafficking report shows that a federal law passed in 1985 allowed the United States to penalize countries that do not control the production of illicit drugs. However, many of these same countries, including Afghanistan, Colombia, and Mexico, continue to be major producers of drugs like heroin, cocaine, and marijuana. Some argue that the solution to this problem is to legalize drugs, while others suggest increasing funds for counseling and psychological help to decrease demand for drugs. Still, others propose more aggressive measures, such as setting deadlines for countries to stop drug production or using destructive methods to eliminate crops. The debate over how to address the issue of illegal narcotics in the United States continues, with some arguing that it
vanesch said:
I saw it happen to someone I personally know. That's no statistics of course, but it changed my view on the subject. Now, it can be that he was predisposed, but it was clearly a joint that triggered the first crisis - now he's in a closed institution.

Yikes... I've never heard of this before.

Physics news on Phys.org
vanesch said:
I saw it happen to someone I personally know. That's no statistics of course, but it changed my view on the subject. Now, it can be that he was predisposed, but it was clearly a joint that triggered the first crisis - now he's in a closed institution.
Alcohol can also be a trigger for episodes. This was the case with a friend of mine who spent several weeks in hospital suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. Luckily in most cases it is easily controllable with antipsychotic drugs.

It seems hallucinogenic drugs and alcohol reduce the minds ability to discern reality in people who are already tottering on the brink.

Last edited by a moderator:
vanesch said:

That's unfortunate. Does anybody know of a link for statistics on this?

KC9FVV said:
That's unfortunate. Does anybody know of a link for statistics on this?
There is a general acceptance that more people who take marijuana are schizophrenic. the difference of opinioin is centered on whether marijuana is the cause of this or whether people susceptible to schizophrenia are more likely to take marijuana, which is similar to the arguments the cigarette companies used to make to explain the high incidence of lung cancer in smokers.
Psychiatrists began to wonder if cannabis could actually cause psychosis as well as make established psychosis worse. A famous study interviewed 50,000 conscripts into the Swedish Army about their drug consumption and followed them up. Those who were heavy consumers of cannabis at 18 were six times more likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia over the next 15 years than those did not take it.

This year, Dutch epidemiologist Jim Van Os published the results of his study, in which 7,500 people were interviewed about their drug consumption and followed up for three years. Once again, regular consumers of cannabis were more likely to develop psychosis than those who didn't. Two other studies with similar findings are in progress.
http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/schizophrenia/causes/cannabis/

At the matches the Rangers fans started singing 'There's only two Andy Gorams

Lol I think you will find that was Celtic fans signing that one... haha

vanesch said:
Amen :approve:

One point, though: so-called soft drugs aren't so "soft". Marihuana is known to trigger schizophrenia in potentially pre-disposed subjects. I know one case personally, which made me look a bit into it, and indeed this is a known medical effect.

http://www.drugwatch.org/DWNews_V8_N1_2003.htm

BS, pure lies, there is nothing in pot to trigger schizophrenia
that is caused by a chemical inbalance in the brain that mostly
strikes people in the late teens thru their 20's
there is simply no cause and effect relationship
now it is true some people with schizophrenia abuse drugs and sometimes
the drug abuse is a early sign of the schizophrenia
BUT THAT IS VERY DIFFERENT from being a cause of the schizophrenia
you are stateing that a symtom is a cause, learn the difference

BTW that site is pure propaganda, from the anti-drug people, without proof of any real data as there are none, thanks to the goverments bann of such studys BECAUSE THEY DONOT WANT THE TRUTH TO SHOW THEIR LIES

ray b said:
BS, pure lies, there is nothing in pot to trigger schizophrenia
that is caused by a chemical inbalance in the brain that mostly
strikes people in the late teens thru their 20's
there is simply no cause and effect relationship
now it is true some people with schizophrenia abuse drugs and sometimes
the drug abuse is a early sign of the schizophrenia
BUT THAT IS VERY DIFFERENT from being a cause of the schizophrenia
you are stateing that a symtom is a cause, learn the difference

BTW that site is pure propaganda, from the anti-drug people, without proof of any real data as there are none, thanks to the goverments bann of such studys BECAUSE THEY DONOT WANT THE TRUTH TO SHOW THEIR LIES
Yes, just like smoking doesn't cause lung cancer. It is just that people with a propensity for lung cancer take up smoking. :rofl:

Are these more lies? http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/schizophrenia/causes/cannabis/

vanesch said:
Amen :approve:

One point, though: so-called soft drugs aren't so "soft". Marihuana is known to trigger schizophrenia in potentially pre-disposed subjects. I know one case personally, which made me look a bit into it, and indeed this is a known medical effect.

http://www.drugwatch.org/DWNews_V8_N1_2003.htm
Cigarettes are known to trigger [ahem] lung cancer. What's the saying... name your poison?

Art said:
Yes, just like smoking doesn't cause lung cancer. It is just that people with a propensity for lung cancer take up smoking. :rofl:

Are these more lies? http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/...auses/cannabis/
Great minds, Art...

Art said:
So if I found a higher incidence of depression in those who watch daytime television, would you argue that daytime television causes depression?
Art said:
Are these more lies? http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/...auses/cannabis/
No, that is a bad link. ;)

kyleb said:
So if I found a higher incidence of depression in those who watch daytime television, would you argue that daytime television causes depression?
If they were 6* more likely to suffer from depression than people who didn't watch daytime TV (as is the case between cannabis and schizophrenia) then I would strongly suspect a cause and effect.

kyleb said:
No, that is a bad link. ;)
? Try it again http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/schizophrenia/causes/cannabis/

Art said:
If they were 6* more likely to suffer from depression than people who didn't watch daytime TV (as is the case between cannabis and schizophrenia) then I would strongly suspect a cause and effect.
Suspecting would quite resonable in such a case, concluding is a whole different ballgame.
Art said:
? Try it again http://www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/schizophrenia/causes/cannabis/
The link to the article works fine now, but but the attempts at conclusions within it are rather lacking.

Oh, and as for your "?", check your previous link. It was incomplete so it didn't lead anywhere but to an error page.

some people with schizophrenia self medicate with pot
that is not a cause of the schizophrenia
that is an effect of the schizophrenia
your dog is chasing it's tail looking for something to blame on pot
lets do some real research not just tell tall tales
millions of people smoke pot some have schizophrenia
what is the over all % of those millions of smokers who have schizophrenia
less then 1%
"The lifetime prevalence of schizophrenia is commonly given at 1%; however, a recent review of studies from around the world estimated it to be 0.55%14. The same study also found that prevalence may vary greatly from country to country, despite the received wisdom that schizophrenia occurs at the same rate throughout the world. It is worth noting however, that this may be in part due to differences in the way schizophrenia is diagnosed. The incidence of schizophrenia was given as a range of between 7.5 and 16.3 cases per 100,000 of the population."
and if you like swedish studys how about this one
""It has been noted that the majority of people with schizophrenia (estimated between 75% and 90%) smoke tobacco. However, people diagnosed with schizophrenia have a much lower than average chance of getting and dying from lung cancer. While the reason for this is unknown, it may be because of a genetic resistance to the cancer, a side-effect of drugs being taken, or a statistical effect of increased likelihood of dying from causes other than lung cancer22. It is argued that the increased level of smoking in schizophrenia may be due to a desire to self-medicate with nicotine. A recent study of over 50,000 Swedish conscripts found that there was a small but significant protective effect of smoking cigarettes on the risk of developing schizophrenia later in life.28 Whilst the authors of the study stressed that the risks of smoking far outweigh these minor benefits, this study provides further evidence for the 'self-medication' theory of smoking in schizophrenia and may give clues as to how schizophrenia might develop at the molecular level.""
BUT NO CLAIMS TOBACCO is a CAUSE OF THIS schizophrenia?

Look, there's no scientific evidence that smoking pot causes schizophrenia. That's a forty year old urban legend, right up there with it causes infertility.

The active ingredient, delta-9 THC, was studied twenty years ago by the FDA and approved for treating cancer patients for nausea. They did all the studies for safety in human consumption. The only real side effects they found was that it produced a mild sense of euphoria, an increased appetite, bloodshot eyes, etc. I think all their information is available to the public on-line, feel free to look it up yourself.

For crying out loud, this thread reads like a 1980's after school special.

Maybe lung cancer causes smoking?