Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ward Identity in Srednicki QFT book

1. Jul 10, 2014 #1
    Hello guys, I am working on Ch22 "Continuous symmetries and conserved currents" of Srednicki QFT book.

I am trying to understand how to prove the Ward-Takahashi identity using path integral method, done in page 136 of Srednicki.

I understood everything up to Equation 22.22, which is
    [tex]0 = \int \mathcal{D}\phi e^{iS} \int d^4 x \bigg[i \frac{\delta S}{\delta \phi_a (x) }\phi_{a_1}(x_1) \cdots \phi_{a_n}(x_n) + \sum_{j=1}^n \phi_{a_1}(x_1)\cdots \delta_{aa_j} \delta^4 (x-x_j) \cdots \phi_{a_n}(x_n) \bigg]\delta\phi_a (x) [/tex]

Here, [itex] \delta\phi_a(x) [/itex] is arbitrary, so we can drop this and integration over x. So, what we get is
    [tex]0 = \int \mathcal{D}\phi e^{iS}\bigg[i \frac{\delta S}{\delta \phi_a (x) }\phi_{a_1}(x_1) \cdots \phi_{a_n}(x_n) + \sum_{j=1}^n \phi_{a_1}(x_1)\cdots \delta_{aa_j} \delta^4 (x-x_j) \cdots \phi_{a_n}(x_n) \bigg][/tex]

Let's consider the free real scalar field and n=1. Then, [itex]\frac{\delta S}{\delta \phi_a (x) } [/itex] is just [itex](\partial_x^2-m^2)\phi(x) [/itex]. So, the above equation becomes
    [tex]0 = \int \mathcal{D}\phi e^{iS}\bigg[i(\partial_x^2-m^2)\phi(x) \phi(x_1) + \delta^4(x-x_1) \bigg][/tex]
    So, this is equivalent to
    [tex](-\partial_x^2 + m^2) i <0|T\phi(x)\phi(x_1) |0> = \delta^4(x-x_1) [/tex]
    Here comes my question.
    The author argued that the Klein-Gordon wave operator should sit outside the time-ordered product is clear from the path integral form of Eq(22.22).
    I guess that this is due to that we can pull the Klein-Gordon wave operator out of path integral. Is this guess right? Even though this is right, I would like to have clearer explanation for this.

My second question is what kinds of path integral I need to calculate
    [tex]i <0|T(\partial_x^2 - m^2) \phi(x)\phi(x_1) |0> [/tex]
    where the Klein-Gordon wave operator is inside of time ordered operator.
    Because if my guess is right, the Klein-Gordon wave operator can always be pull out of path integral, so it seems that there is no way to calculate this from the path integral method.
    Here, I assume that [itex]\phi(x) [/itex] is not a solution of classical equation, so the Klein-Gordon wave operator acting on this field can be non zero.

Thank you for you guys answer in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted