Calculating Acceleration for a Warehouse Ramp Pulley System with Friction

In summary, the system will slowly move the package up the ramp, but it will be difficult to maneuver at the top and the boss is worried about this. To determine the acceleration of the package, you run tests and find that it has a force of 250 Newtons and a speed of 12.24 m/s.
Mirole

Homework Statement

You have taken a summer job at a warehouse and have designed a method to help get heavy packages up a 15º ramp. In your system a package is attached to a rope which runs parallel to the ramp and over a pulley at the top of the ramp. After passing over the pulley the other end of the rope is attached to a counterweight which hangs straight down. In your design the mass of the counterweight is always adjusted to be twice the mass of the package. Your boss is worried about this pulley system. In particular, she is concerned that the package will be too difficult to handle at the top of the ramp and tells you to calculate its acceleration. To determine the influence of friction between the ramp and the package you run some tests. You find that you can push a 50 kg package with a horizontal force of 250 Newtons at a constant speed along a level floor made of the same material as the ramp.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Block 1:
(Fnet)y = n + T - Fgcos[tex]\theta[/tex]= 0
(Fnet)y = n = mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

(Fnet)x = n + T - Fgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - fk = ma
(Fnet)x = T - Fgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - fk = ma

(Fnet)x = 980 - Fgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - mu_k(mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex]) = ma
(Fnet)x = 980 - gsinmgcos[tex]\theta[/tex] - (mu_k)cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = a

Block 2:
(Fnet)x = 0
(Fnet)y = T - 2mg = 0
(Fnet)y = T = 2*mg
(Fnet)y = T = 2*50*9.8, so T= 980N

I'm confused as to what to do next, because I don't think I'm doing this right and I don't have the co-efficient of kinetic friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the problem it given that a 50 kg mass is moved on a horizontal floor with 250 N. From this data find the coefficient of friction.

So, I did:

fk = mu_k*n
250 = mu_k*(50)(9.8)
250/490 = mu_k = .51

So, going back to what I originally did and plugging this back in:

a = [(980)-(50)(9.8)sin15-(.51)(50)(9.8)cos15]/50
a = 12.24 m/s^2

This doesn't seem right, is it?

In the calculation, you have the mass as 50 kg. It is not right. It is used to find μ of the surface. For calculation you have to use m and 2m.
Identify the forces acting on m and its acceleration.
Find the acceleration of 2m. And the equate them to find T and a.

I'm a bit confused. I thought I had the forces identified in (Fnet)x = n + T - Fgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - fk = ma, would it be 2ma or?

Sorry, :(.

You have to write two equations for two masses.
For m
ma = T -gsinθ -fk. What is the value of fk?
For 2m
2m*a = ...?

1. What is a warehouse ramp pulley?

A warehouse ramp pulley is a mechanical device used to lift and move heavy objects, typically on a ramp or incline. It consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable that runs through the groove, allowing for a mechanical advantage to lift and move objects with less effort.

2. How does a warehouse ramp pulley work?

A warehouse ramp pulley works by utilizing the principle of mechanical advantage, where the load being lifted is distributed between multiple ropes or cables attached to the pulley. The operator exerts a force on one end of the rope, which is transferred through the pulley to lift the load on the other end of the rope.

3. What are the benefits of using a warehouse ramp pulley?

The main benefit of using a warehouse ramp pulley is that it reduces the amount of force and effort required to lift and move heavy objects. This can help prevent strain and injury for workers and increase efficiency and productivity in a warehouse setting.

4. What types of loads can a warehouse ramp pulley handle?

A warehouse ramp pulley can handle a wide range of loads, from small boxes and packages to large crates and machinery. The capacity of the pulley will depend on its size and design, so it is important to choose the right pulley for the specific load being lifted.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using a warehouse ramp pulley?

When using a warehouse ramp pulley, it is important to follow safety guidelines and precautions to prevent accidents or injuries. This may include using proper lifting techniques, inspecting the pulley before each use, and wearing appropriate protective gear. It is also important to properly secure the load being lifted and to never exceed the weight capacity of the pulley.