Is a Warm Water Rinse More Effective for Washing Machine Clothes?

• Thread starter OldHubcap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, according to the manual for my friend's new washing machine, cold water rinses do not wring out the clothes as well as warm water rinses. This may be due to the fact that the fibers in the clothes are stiffer in cold water, and the soap is more effectively rinsed away with warm water.
OldHubcap
A friend of mine just got a new washing machine. In its manual it states "cold water rinses do not wring out the clothes as well as warm water rinses". She asked what the scientific basis for that is since she had never heard it before. I gave it a lot of thought but for the life of me I can't figure out why that statement would be true.

Does anyone here know if this is true and if so, why?

Thanks.

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
OldHubcap said:
A friend of mine just got a new washing machine. In its manual it states "cold water rinses do not wring out the clothes as well as warm water rinses".
First off, no amount of any kind of water will 'wring out' the clothes. That's a mechanical/manual process for removing water. As for rinsing out detergent, warm water dissolves other substances better than cold, and so would probably remove more of the soap with less water.

Danger said:
First off, no amount of any kind of water will 'wring out' the clothes. That's a mechanical/manual process for removing water. As for rinsing out detergent, warm water dissolves other substances better than cold, and so would probably remove more of the soap with less water.
Two things -

Danger is correct - solubility of soaps and detergents increase with increasing temperature.

As for the effect of wringing, the fibers/fabric are 'stiffer' in cold water so they will 'wring out' less effectively than in warm water.

Having done laundry for too many years to mention, I have noticed that jeans seem to come out of the machine wetter/heavier when they are rinsed with cold water. I have no idea why.
I would contact the maker of the washer{often a toll free number} and ask them why.

added* Astro...geesh...I'm suffering from stiff jean syndrome?

Last edited:
I agree that one reason for the hot water rinse is the point was first raised by Danger. While soaps are not inorganic salts, they too have a positive temperature coefficient of solubility (because, among other reasons, they posses negligible vapor pressure). Judging from the http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Mats/Salts/SaltSol.html one might guess that soaps are noticeably more soluble in warm water.

As for the weight of the clothes, it would make sense that after a hot rinse, a good portion of the water evaporates out (leaving the clothes lighter than if you used a cold rinse). In addition to Astronuc's point, this may be a reason why hot rinses are said to "wring" out better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surface tension cold is higher than hot --- more mass retained between fibers. Viscosity cold is higher than hot --- probably an insignificant effect in reduction of flow rate through fbiers during a spin cycle, but worth considering.

Fibers/polymers stiffer at low T? Wrong! Back to the thermo books, folks.

Warm water will activate any enzymes (biological catalysts) used in the detergent.

Thanks for the ideas folks. You came up with more than I could.

:smile:

What is a warm water rinse and how does it work?

A warm water rinse is a process where water is heated to a specific temperature and used to clean or rinse objects. The warm water helps to break down dirt and grime, making it easier to remove. This process is especially effective for removing oils and fats.

What are the benefits of using warm water for rinsing?

Warm water has several benefits when used for rinsing. It can effectively remove dirt, oils, and bacteria from surfaces. It also helps to soften and loosen stubborn stains, making them easier to remove. Additionally, warm water can help to open up pores, allowing for a deeper clean.

Is warm water rinse superior to cold water rinse?

In most cases, warm water rinse is considered superior to cold water rinse. This is because warm water is more effective at removing dirt and grime, and can also help to kill bacteria. However, there are some situations where cold water rinse may be preferred, such as for delicate fabrics or certain types of produce.

Is warm water rinse safe for all materials?

Warm water rinse is generally safe for most materials, but it is important to check the care instructions for the specific item you are cleaning. Some materials, such as silk or wool, may be damaged by warm water. It is always best to use the appropriate temperature and technique for each material to avoid any damage.

Can warm water rinse be used for disinfecting purposes?

Yes, warm water rinse can be effective for disinfecting purposes. The warm water helps to kill bacteria and viruses, making it a great option for cleaning surfaces that may harbor harmful germs. However, it is important to use hot water at the appropriate temperature (usually above 140°F) to effectively kill germs.