Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Warming/climate change poll

1. There is no concern; the change will be minimal and insignificant in our lifetime.

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Minor concern; changes will be measureable but slow enough so that we will adapt easily.

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Moderate concern; changes will be severe in some places but the human race will continue as always.

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. Grave concern; severe changes all over the globe. Huge decrease in human population.

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Nov 25, 2006 #1

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am seriously curious as to our collective opinion on this "devisive" issue. I am hoping people will vote according to their informed opinion (rather than what they hope is true, or what the pundits of their political persuasions are saying). The poll comes in two parts. This is part one.

Do not consider the cause/reason while selecting from these options. Here's the question:

How SERIOUS do you believe "global warming/climate change" will be?

(Why can't I edit the poll title?)

THis is NOT a political poll. So please keep the tone objective and non-inflamitory.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2
    Not at all serious.

4. Nov 25, 2006 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey, wait for me to finish the poll!

5. Nov 25, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, assuming that global warming is occurring, and it is responsible for a reduction in food supply and increase in violent or catastrophic weather, then it is a serious problem.

http://www.climatehotmap.org/

I selected moderate, but I'd acutally prefer an option between moderate and grave. The gravity depends upon the response of the global community. Nations which consume a disproportionate share of the natural resources will invite retaliation of other nations.

The global population will not necessarily decrease, but it could depending upon resource allocation.

Humanity cannot continue as it has, i.e. without some restraint on the utilization of energy and other resources.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  6. Nov 25, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

^^

Due to the limit of characters I had to remove the key phrases "overall" and "with some changes in lifestyle" from the third option.

7. Nov 25, 2006 #6
    Why do you have "severe change" listed as only a "moderate concern" because, "the human race will continue as always"? That's not very moderate at all.

8. Nov 25, 2006 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Severe changes in some places" implying that there will be other locations where no significant changes will occur. In any populated location where such severe changes occur the situation will be grave, I'm sure.

9. Nov 25, 2006 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Those areas with largest population densities, but lesser resources will likely experience significant population declines, or at least a reduction in the standard of living or quality of life.

IF competition for scarce resources increases, then wars become more likely.

Much of what will happen is so conditional upon the behavior of large groups of people that it is difficult to accurately predict future trends. What if China and India attempt to achieve the per capita consumption of the US? The world's resources would be rapidly depeleted.

In the face of deprivation, the behavior of some/many often becomes predatory. I have observed this in totalitarian societies.

10. Nov 25, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here.

11. Nov 25, 2006 #10
    There is more reason to be concerned about the forecasted Landscheidt solar minimum around 2030, resembling the Maunder minimum in the little ice age.

Unfortunately, a bit more CO2 in the atmoshere is too weak a greenhouse effect to compensate for that. We need more suvs :wink:

12. Nov 25, 2006 #11
    I picked three, but would have preferred another selection between moderate and severe.

Although there are other environmental problems that may be even more of a factor than global warming. Lack of fresh water in the future will be more catastrophic than global warming, although drought conditions are worsening as a result of global warming.

13. Nov 25, 2006 #12
    Sorry, if you want to impress me with a study, you must provide a link to a reputable website, not one with a political/corporate agenda.

14. Nov 26, 2006 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, I guess us Canadians and Americans are screwed. We suck up so much energy it's ridiculous.

15. Nov 26, 2006 #14

Mk

What about for those that don't think there is enough data to bring us to a conclusion prediction?

16. Nov 26, 2006 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not about prediction, this poll. It's about how concerned you are right now about this issue. If you are not concerned, then pick option 1.

17. Nov 26, 2006 #16
    I would say that most would agree that there is not yet sufficient data, especially in the southern hemisphere. But there is enough evidence to warrant action. That is why despite the best efforts of the industry funded think-tanks to cast doubt, world leaders are beginning to take action.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?