1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Warming up right before a test?

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    so, how analogous do u think a person about to take a test and an athlete about to compete is?

Do you guys think warming up right before a test, by doing practice problems and such, can have a dramatic effect like that of an athlete stretching before a competition?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2
    only if it's the night b4

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    well, it is the night before, but i feel so prepared for some reason.

Ive been studying regularly for the past week, which works way better than cramming the night before.
    i dunno, i feel like i just get it.
    It clicks with me, but im nervous also.

this midterm is 40 percent of my final grade.
    there are 4 questions.
    So its like each question is worth 10 percent of my grade.

5. Nov 1, 2007 #4
    rub your hands together.
    i wouldn't use any analogies , but I think warming up (or revising ) would help..not sure about anything else.

6. Nov 1, 2007 #5

TMM

40 percent o_o. That's quite a bit.

Well as a general rule, always try to get a good night's sleep.

7. Nov 1, 2007 #6
    I do warm up b4 the test.... but actually "warm up"..... ie jump around everywhere

8. Nov 1, 2007 #7
    I like to do all those silly test taking strategies. Look them up. Get this and that herbal root, have coffee, eat chocolate part way through...whatever. My guess is it doesn't really work that well but it distracts me from being stressed so in that respect it does work.

I do like to do some problems in the morning, but I set them out the night before and I'm make sure that they are ones that are reasonable for me to do and relitively short. There's no sence learning new material right before a test but it get's your mind on the right track.

9. Nov 1, 2007 #8
    Studies also show that you can get a higher grade if you take the test in a condition and environment similar to when you were studying.

10. Nov 1, 2007 #9
    That's a bad sign. I'm always like that. I read over all the chapters going "I remember doing these problems and how they are done, I know this part, blah blah."

Then when I get to the test it's something that somehow slipped my mind. Great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?