Prove F(n)→0 as n→∞ Warning: Danger Ahead?

• Thread starter steven187
  • Start date
In summary: And then I got stuck on the induction step. I have to prove that if |F(n)| <= (1/e)^nthen|F(n+1)| <= (1/e)^{n+1}.The conversation discusses a difficult math question and possible approaches to solving it. In summary, the question involves finding the limit of a complex function and proving its convergence. Various attempts and strategies have been made, such as converting the sum into an integral, using induction, and seeking help from CAS. However, the problem remains challenging and no solution has been found yet.
This has been a cool problem, if damn frustrating.

I bought some small books on asymptotic analysis because this stuff is really interesting.

Thanks for posting it.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
hello all

in terms of this problem I have been looking at the laurent series, I have been playing around with it but I keep coming across dead ends, see I remember reading once that you can do a lot with the complex field especially to solve problems in the real number field, now to find the sum of a series, would using the laurent series be the best place to start for attempting this problem in the complex field? if not where is the best place to start to find the sum of a series in the complex field? any suggestions would be helpful

steven

hello all

well even after doing some research into complex analysis it didnt really give me much help, the only thing that i could find that could be possibly related to it is the laurent series but can't figure out how to apply it to this problem, so I decided to go and as a friend who is a lecturer in analysis, he had one look at this question and said it definitely has something to do with this theorem how sounded very certain

Cauchys Theorem
if f(z) is analytic and

[tex]\frac{f(z)}{z-z_{o}}[/tex]

has a simple pole at [tex] z_{0} [/tex]

with residue [tex]f(z_{o})[/tex]

then the theorem says that if f(z) is analytic within C the value of f at some point [tex] z_{0} [/tex]
within C is given by

[tex]f(z_{0})=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_{C}\frac{f(z)}{z-z_{o}} dz[/tex]

would anybody have any idea on how to apply this theorem to this Problem, I honestly can't see the link, any suggestions would be appreciated

steven