Implementing Warning Levels: Should We Consider It?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, this guy is way out of line. He's been warned multiple times, and if he persists he may be banned.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Other fora like devshed.com have implemented a warning level prodcure. X number of warnings and you are out. Like three strikes and you are out.

I don't know if this is something we want to consider here, or even if vBulletin natively supports it or not...

This guy is way out of line. I don't know how this would be viewed by others, but I'd like to see a "warning" set on his posts, and then if he persists, pitch 'im. In any event the thread should just be closed, IMO. It's degenerated into a pointless, vapor-filled, name-calling discussion that would be closed by now if it were in GD:

WTF <snip> This is purely in line with politically driven research, and not scientific research.. Just look at the CO2 bull**** being researched. Everey study disproving CO2 driven GW research is being dismissed, and every study "proving" CO2 driven GW are being taken as the truth :p... Your a pawn man, a little pawn.. Peasant maybe..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mentors do send PMs, warning members who go out of line. This may or may not include infraction points, and, if I'm correct, depending upon those points, these members(' accounts) may be banned for a few days or forever. If you find some post against the guidelines, you can click the Report button and inform the mentors.

There is a warning/infraction system in place.

Zz.

Neutrino is correct. You may not be able to see it, but we do have a warning/infraction system. (Warnings/infractions are only viewable to mentors.) And we do give out points and a certain number of points tosses you out.

And rest assured that every reported post is looked into and dealt with.

I did report the post. So maybe things will improve.

They look like this when you get them:

Dear OmCheeto,

You have received an infraction at Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums.

Reason: General Warning
-------
Off topic, thread hijack.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Proof that even contributing members cannot post amok. :devil: :mad::redface:o:)

In this context, I have one small suggestion. When a mentor deletes a post, but there are no points given for infraction, then the OP may not even know of his mistake. He may not revisit the thread. He may have completely unknowingly violated some guideline but he’ll never be aware of it and may commit the same mistake again.

Wouldn’t it be nice and more practical to send a message to say that his post has been deleted for such and such reason? Or put that message there itself, in place of the deleted post?

I’m not saying that the mentors have nothing better to do than to give lengthy explanations, but the whole thing can be automated. There may be 5-6 buttons, e.g., reason for deletion: 1) obscene material 2) hijacking thread 3) reference to commercial site 4) insulting remark etc, on which the mentor just has to click.

I saw the other day that mentor berkeman had deleted a post (for a different kind of reason -- no violation by the poster), and clearly stated the reason there itself, which was very nice of him.

Just a suggestion for the betterment of PF.

Last edited:
Actually, we do have such a system! Even if no infraction points are given, mentors can (and routinely do) give a 0-pt warning that explains the rules. We even have several "canned" infractions much as you describe. Every time any kind of infraction or warning is given, a PM is sent to the poster.

Occasionally, it's useful to post right in the thread itself a reminder of the rules. But this is separate from our official warning/infraction system.

Hi Doc Al,

I did unwittingly refer a commercial site once, and my post was deleted. When I posted a question in the thread asking why it was deleted, then only I got the answer. If I had not asked, then I may have done the same unknowingly again. That's why I suggested the above, so that people would understand what not to do.

But as you have said, the system is already there.

And if you discover a post or thread has been deleted and you have not received a warning or infraction, that generally means there was some other reason we deleted the post...for example, a duplicate post that seemed more like a technical glitch than intentional double-posting, or someone derailed a thread into an argument that we caught too late to repair the original discussion so we delete the entire thing even though some people were posting within the guidelines.

I guess if you don't know anything about the warning and infraction point system we have in place, it means you've been following the guidelines. :smile:

Moonbear said:
I guess if you don't know anything about the warning and infraction point system we have in place, it means you've been following the guidelines. :smile:

I've been a good boy, yes?o:)

p.s. NEED more smileys!

Shooting star said:
I did unwittingly refer a commercial site once, and my post was deleted. When I posted a question in the thread asking why it was deleted, then only I got the answer. If I had not asked, then I may have done the same unknowingly again. That's why I suggested the above, so that people would understand what not to do.
Point taken.

I must admit that sometimes I'm a bit lazy in giving out warnings for certain things. For example, we get many posts in the main physics sections that clearly belong in one of the homework help forums. Often I'll just move the post without giving a warning, thinking that it will be obvious as to why the post was moved. When I see the same poster doing it over and over again, that's when I let the warnings (and before long, points) fly!

Doc Al said:
For example, we get many posts in the main physics sections that clearly belong in one of the homework help forums. Often I'll just move the post without giving a warning, thinking that it will be obvious as to why the post was moved.

I think everybody understands that and nobody is bothered about those.

(Anyway, my unknowing mistake had nothing to do with you, but I'll be watching my posts from now on.:smile:)

If you're talking about your post in biology/medical science, I meant to send you a pm to let you know why it was deleted, I was not going to give you an infraction. When I am at work, I often get pulled away when I am in the middle of something and will later forget. So, if you don't understand an action that has been taken, just pm the forum mentor and they can look at what was done and by which mentor.

Hi Evo,

I quite understand that. I know mentors must have to do this sort of things a lot. That's why I suggested that the process be automated, so that while deleting a post, you just click on one or two buttons, and there's no need to spend time sending PMs. You did send me a PM afterward, though.

In fact, I sent you a PM thanking you for clarifying the matter, but your mailbox was full. (What's the quota for mentors? Must be huge!)

Best.

Shooting star said:
Hi Evo,

I quite understand that. I know mentors must have to do this sort of things a lot. That's why I suggested that the process be automated, so that while deleting a post, you just click on one or two buttons, and there's no need to spend time sending PMs. You did send me a PM afterward, though.

In fact, I sent you a PM thanking you for clarifying the matter, but your mailbox was full. (What's the quota for mentors? Must be huge!)

Best.
I'm really slow about cleaning out my pm's. :redface:

And she's very popular, I hear. :wink:

I've got one of these warning things for posting in the wrong forum asking for help. How many do you need to get banned. And when you get temporarily banned can you still wiew the forums?

CrawfordK said:
I've got one of these warning things for posting in the wrong forum asking for help. How many do you need to get banned. And when you get temporarily banned can you still wiew the forums?
I would imagine if you get a 10 point warning then the answer is one.
And I'm sure you can view things while banned, though I've not tried myself.o:)
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374"

Disciplinary Action:
If a member violates forum guidelines, he or she may be issued a warning by an administrator or mentor. Warnings range from 0 to 10 "points," depending on the severity of the violation. If a member accrues 8 or more warning points, he or she will be automatically banned from Physics Forums for a period of 10 days. If a member receives any warning after having returned from a temporary ban, that member will then be banned permanently. Obvious, incorrigible spamming or trouble making will be met with a permanent ban.

Last edited by a moderator:
People can view the forums who are not registered so I imagine if you got banned you'd still be allowed to view but not post.

CrawfordK said:
Yours was a zero point notification, just a "heads up".

1. What are warning levels and why should we consider implementing them?

Warning levels are a system used to categorize the severity of a potential danger or risk. They are typically used in emergency situations to quickly communicate the level of threat to the public. Implementing warning levels can help increase preparedness and response to potential hazards.

2. How are warning levels determined?

Warning levels are determined by a combination of factors such as the type and severity of the potential hazard, the potential impact on the public, and the likelihood of the hazard occurring. These factors are evaluated by experts in the field and can vary depending on the specific situation.

3. What are the benefits of implementing warning levels?

Implementing warning levels can provide several benefits, including increased public awareness and preparedness, improved communication and coordination among response agencies, and a clear and consistent system for evaluating and responding to potential hazards.

4. Are there any challenges to implementing warning levels?

Yes, there can be challenges to implementing warning levels, such as determining the appropriate warning level for a specific situation, ensuring that the public understands the meaning of each level, and coordinating with other agencies to ensure consistency in warning level systems.

5. How can we ensure the effectiveness of warning levels?

To ensure the effectiveness of warning levels, it is important to regularly review and update the system based on feedback and data from past events. In addition, ongoing education and training for the public and response agencies can help ensure that warning levels are understood and followed in emergency situations.