Is there a bug in the MS C++ compiler causing warnings to not be disabled?

• Thread starter Just an Asterisk
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to solve a problem with their code, but is having trouble doing so. They are trying to use different compiler modes, and finally trying to work with someone on the forum. They say they don't think there is anything wrong with their code, but they are still having trouble.
Just an Asterisk
I have a program which everytime I have it compile on VC6++, there are a bunch of warnings but without any errors emitted. I have tried to disable all those warnings but none come to get effected at all by, for instance, "#pragma warning(disable: 1234)".
Is this a bug in MS C++ compiler version ? How can I make things work fine again ?

Thanks so very much for all of your help, --lol--

Computer science news on Phys.org
It'd be better just to fix your code.

- Warren

lol

:)

- aychamo

chroot said:
It'd be better just to fix your code.

- Warren
No, i don't think there is anything wrong in my code, my program works fine, there is also output after I execute it...
Thanks for your answer anyway

Anyone else who can help me ?

Well, it obviously functions, but it's obviously not well-written code. Show us the offending line of code, and the warning it produces, and we'll help you solve it.

- Warren

aychamo said:
lol

:)

- aychamo
If you could draw a monkey face as your avatar, people and I would pay much attention to the nonsense you are doing and writing about..
By the way, I would like chroot get rid of this thread of mine and his out of my thread if possible because nothing about what I am doing but a meaningless smile and an I-don't-like-signature from the language I don't know...Sorry aychamo...

Okay, thanks chroot for your help..
Here is the warning I have from my compiler
Code:
'std::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > >
 >::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > >' : identifier was truncated to '255' characters in the debug information

Just an Asterisk,

I'm making an honest attempt to help you. Warnings are produced for a reason. Using a directive to disable the warning is not a good solution. You should just fix the code so it no longer produces the warning. Show it to me, and I will help you fix it.

- Warren

Just an Asterisk,

Just compile your program in release mode instead of debug mode -- unless you need to use the source-level debugger.

- Warren

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q167355

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an Asterisk said:
No, i don't think there is anything wrong in my code, my program works fine, there is also output after I execute it...

So, planning on working at Microsoft are we?

1. Why am I getting a "Warning Unable to Disable" message?

There could be several reasons why you are receiving this warning. It is possible that there is a technical issue with the software or system you are using. It could also be due to a missing or outdated component that is required for the disabling process. It is important to troubleshoot the issue to determine the specific cause.

2. Can I ignore this warning and continue with my work?

It is not recommended to ignore this warning. Disabling a feature or system is a critical process and if there is an error, it could potentially cause further issues or malfunctions. It is best to address the warning and resolve any underlying issues before proceeding.

3. What should I do if I receive this warning?

If you receive this warning, it is important to take the necessary steps to troubleshoot and resolve the issue. This may involve checking for updates, consulting technical support, or seeking assistance from a colleague. It is important to address the warning to ensure the proper functioning of your system.

4. Is this warning a cause for concern?

Yes, this warning should not be taken lightly. It indicates that there is an issue with the disabling process, which could potentially lead to further complications. It is important to address the warning and resolve any underlying issues to ensure the smooth functioning of your system.

5. How can I prevent this warning from appearing in the future?

The best way to prevent this warning from appearing is to regularly maintain and update your system. This includes checking for software updates, ensuring all necessary components are installed, and addressing any issues that may arise. It is also important to follow proper protocols and procedures when disabling features or systems to minimize the chances of receiving this warning.