Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Warning Unable to Disable

1. Aug 6, 2004 #1
    I have a program which everytime I have it compile on VC6++, there are a bunch of warnings but without any errors emitted. I have tried to disable all those warnings but none come to get effected at all by, for instance, "#pragma warning(disable: 1234)".
    Is this a bug in MS C++ compiler version ? How can I make things work fine again ?

Thanks so very much for all of your help, --lol--

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It'd be better just to fix your code.

- Warren

4. Aug 6, 2004 #3
    lol

:)

- aychamo

5. Aug 6, 2004 #4
    No, i don't think there is anything wrong in my code, my program works fine, there is also output after I execute it...
    Thanks for your answer anyway

Anyone else who can help me ?

6. Aug 6, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it obviously functions, but it's obviously not well-written code. Show us the offending line of code, and the warning it produces, and we'll help you solve it.

- Warren

7. Aug 6, 2004 #6
    If you could draw a monkey face as your avatar, people and I would pay much attention to the nonsense you are doing and writing about..
    By the way, I would like chroot get rid of this thread of mine and his out of my thread if possible because nothing about what I am doing but a meaningless smile and an I-don't-like-signature from the language I don't know...Sorry aychamo...

8. Aug 6, 2004 #7
    Okay, thanks chroot for your help..
    Here is the warning I have from my compiler
    Code (Text):
    'std::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > >
     >::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > >' : identifier was truncated to '255' characters in the debug information

9. Aug 6, 2004 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just an Asterisk,

I'm making an honest attempt to help you. Warnings are produced for a reason. Using a directive to disable the warning is not a good solution. You should just fix the code so it no longer produces the warning. Show it to me, and I will help you fix it.

- Warren

10. Aug 6, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just an Asterisk,

Just compile your program in release mode instead of debug mode -- unless you need to use the source-level debugger.

- Warren

11. Aug 6, 2004 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Aug 6, 2004 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

So, planning on working at Microsoft are we?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?