Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Warning?

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1
    I just happened across these forums and was shocked (hence the username) at how much false information is stated on these forums by people claiming to be "experts".

I'd wager far more than 50% of the "facts" stated in here are complete garbage, and the worst part is that people are actually believing this trash! If a physics forum doesn't teach people to be skeptical, and demand evidence, then it has failed.

I think there should be a warning somewhere in the FAQ about this. Without that warning, I think this forum is doing more damage than help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF, shocked.

We have a policy in regards to "garbage:"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

While we try very hard to prevent the site from being abused by people with personal theories and an agenda to assert them, we are not infallible. It would be enormously helpful to us if you would use the "report" feature to let us know about threads or posts which you feel are too speculative.

Thanks for your input.

- Warren

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3
    Welcome, Shocked

As chroot has stated we have a strict policy that we enforce completely. Please make use of the "report this thread" function and we will review the topic within 24h.

5. Aug 30, 2004 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I disagree with you, Shocked. Perhaps you stumbled across the Theory Development forum and missed the rest? Or perhaps you found an ongoing discussion by some people trying to understand some subject (like some of the ongoing Big Bang topics where explanations/corrections are still being made). If not, join the discussions and offer your expert corrections. Or, alert the mentors of any outrageous statements. Overall, if you stick around, I think you'll find that the discussions are of a high quality here at PF.

I demand your evidence for a greater than 50% fact failure.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  6. Sep 6, 2004 #5
    We have a policy in regards to "garbage:"

It's good to see chroot can reply sometimes. I am banned from entering new threads and have repeated asked for an explanation as to why my work is considered to be garbage. So far no reply. Surely if mentors are to make such judgements, the victim is entitled to some sort of reasoned (i.e. non-personal) explanation. Merely stating that in their personal opinion a particular work is garbage hardly constitutes a 'high standard'.

7. Sep 6, 2004 #6

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

elas - I'm not familiar with your situation, but my experience here has been that members are informed of the reasons for such an action. Try contacting chroot and Greg again.

Are you aware that there was a recent change in that new topics cannot be started in the theory development forum (by anyone)? Perhaps this is the source of the confusion?

8. Sep 6, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More information here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=39733

9. Sep 8, 2004 #8
    My apologies to Chroot, I failed to realise that the ban on new postings is general and not personal. Now we really need to get down to defining the difference between garbage and real development.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?