Warp jet?

Ethan Deibert
I was looking at videos on how a warp drive theoretically could work: by compressing space in front and expanding space in the back. This reminded me of a jet engine compressing air and blasting it out of a nozzle.
My question is, could you build a sort of warp jet that would compress space inside of a chamber using whatever method is proposed in a warp drive to compress the space, and then blasting it out the back where it would expand pushing your ship forward? This would avoid having to expand space at all. I was never good at physics so I don't know if what I'm saying is nonsense but it's just a thought I had.
THanks!

Answers and Replies

The problem is that your ship has to carry on board something which can warp space, a black hole.
That's difficult for a number of reasons.

berkeman
Mentor
Thread closed for a bit for Moderation.

I was looking at videos on how a warp drive theoretically could work [ed.: my emphasis]: by compressing space in front and expanding space in the back. This reminded me of a jet engine compressing air and blasting it out of a nozzle.
It might remind you of a jet engine, but it cannot be really compared. Theoretical here means that Alcubierre's solution is one special solution to Einstein's field equations. Those solutions are neither unique nor does it mean, they have automatically any physical relevance.
My question is, could you build a sort of warp jet that would compress space inside of a chamber using whatever method is proposed in a warp drive to compress the space, and then blasting it out the back where it would expand pushing your ship forward?
No. At least not in the next millenium. The energies which are needed are far beyond any reasonable value.
This would avoid having to expand space at all. I was never good at physics so I don't know if what I'm saying is nonsense but it's just a thought I had.
I'm afraid it is nonsense as far as any realization is concerned. Have a read of the Wikipedia page I linked to. The idea is a funny theoretical exercise. And yes, what M. Kaku tells on TV is a bit too speculative and pure science fiction.

berkeman
Mentor
And with that very helpful reply, this thread will remain closed.