Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Warp Speed or Impulse Power?

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    Hello Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have been on the forums. I just finished my third year which was my transition from biology to physics. So far, I have completed first year courses on Mechanics and Electrodynamics as well as one course on introductory quantum mechanics. Now I am stuck between two decisions hence where the name of this thread comes in. I can cram my upcoming 4th year with mechanics II/III and E&M II/III all together then in my 5th and last year, I can complete the rest of the degree requirements and graduate. Or take mechanics II/III in one year and E&M II/III in the next, which is what students would normally do. Then I would graduate in my 6th year at the university which I think is just too long. But I want to graduate one year earlier so that I can apply for my master's degree and finish by 25.
    My main concern is if I cram everything like that, would it be extremely difficult? I am not exceeding my semester load or anything like that. It is the content of those courses and having to do them all at once is my worry.

Any Comments and Suggestions are Welcome!
    Thank You

DoubleMint

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2
    I would try to cram everything in and get your bachelors as soon as you can. Yes, it won't be a lot of fun you don't want to be in school forever.

4. Jun 19, 2010 #3
    I'd go the other way, one extra year of your life is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It'll be more enjoyable, less stressful and you will likely perform better.

Doing it right, is better than doing it quickly.

5. Jun 19, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I guess my recommendation would depend on what you want do you after 25. What do you want to do next? more school (PhD)? Job? Take a year off and explore the world? something else?

6. Jun 19, 2010 #5
    Thanks Topher and Chris!
    Andy: It is mostly likely I will find a job and travel later.

7. Jun 19, 2010 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then I recommend getting through school as quickly as possible.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook