Is It Better to Cram Courses or Take Them Over Multiple Years?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is trying to decide whether to graduate in their 5th or 6th year in order to apply for a master's degree and finish by 25. Some suggest cramming all courses in their 4th year to graduate earlier, while others recommend taking an extra year for a more enjoyable and less stressful experience. The student's future plans involve finding a job and traveling.
doublemint
Hello Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have been on the forums. I just finished my third year which was my transition from biology to physics. So far, I have completed first year courses on Mechanics and Electrodynamics as well as one course on introductory quantum mechanics. Now I am stuck between two decisions hence where the name of this thread comes in. I can cram my upcoming 4th year with mechanics II/III and E&M II/III all together then in my 5th and last year, I can complete the rest of the degree requirements and graduate. Or take mechanics II/III in one year and E&M II/III in the next, which is what students would normally do. Then I would graduate in my 6th year at the university which I think is just too long. But I want to graduate one year earlier so that I can apply for my master's degree and finish by 25.
My main concern is if I cram everything like that, would it be extremely difficult? I am not exceeding my semester load or anything like that. It is the content of those courses and having to do them all at once is my worry.

Any Comments and Suggestions are Welcome!
Thank You

DoubleMint

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to cram everything in and get your bachelors as soon as you can. Yes, it won't be a lot of fun you don't want to be in school forever.

I'd go the other way, one extra year of your life is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It'll be more enjoyable, less stressful and you will likely perform better.

Doing it right, is better than doing it quickly.

doublemint said:
and finish by 25.

I guess my recommendation would depend on what you want do you after 25. What do you want to do next? more school (PhD)? Job? Take a year off and explore the world? something else?

Thanks Topher and Chris!
Andy: It is mostly likely I will find a job and travel later.

Then I recommend getting through school as quickly as possible.

1. What is Warp Speed and how does it differ from Impulse Power?

Warp Speed is a theoretical concept in science fiction that refers to faster-than-light travel. It involves bending the fabric of space-time to move through it at a speed faster than the speed of light. Impulse Power, on the other hand, is a more realistic concept used in science and engineering. It involves using a spacecraft's thrusters to propel it at high speeds, but still below the speed of light.

2. Is Warp Speed possible in real life?

At this time, we do not have the technology or understanding of physics to achieve Warp Speed. The laws of physics as we know them do not allow for something to travel faster than the speed of light. However, scientists continue to explore and research the possibilities of faster-than-light travel.

3. How does Impulse Power work?

Impulse Power works by using a spacecraft's thrusters to generate thrust, which propels the spacecraft forward. The amount of thrust needed is determined by the spacecraft's mass and the desired acceleration. The thrusters use a propellant, such as liquid hydrogen, to create a controlled explosion that creates a force in the opposite direction, thus moving the spacecraft forward.

4. Could Impulse Power be used for long-distance space travel?

Yes, Impulse Power could be used for long-distance space travel, but it would take a considerable amount of time. The speed of a spacecraft using Impulse Power would depend on the amount of thrust generated by the thrusters. With current technology, it would take years or even decades to travel to other planets in our solar system using Impulse Power.

5. Are there any downsides to using Impulse Power?

One of the main downsides of Impulse Power is that it is limited by the laws of physics. It cannot achieve speeds faster than the speed of light, which means that interstellar travel would still take a very long time. Additionally, the use of propellant for the thrusters adds weight to the spacecraft, which could limit its speed and increase the cost of the mission. There are also potential risks associated with handling and storing large amounts of propellant in space.