Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Warp Speed

1. Yes I do?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Some what think so?

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. maybe?

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Ohh no!

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sep 26, 2003 #1
    Does any think or feel that we will be able to achive warp speed in my life time? I'm 30 years old.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How is this quantum physics?

- Warren

4. Sep 26, 2003 #3

drag

Science Advisor

You plan to live for a long time, don't you...

Welcome to PF Ronin ! :smile:
    (btw, What's web police ?)

Live long and prosper.

5. Sep 26, 2003 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose I'll answer anyway, even if the question has nothing to do with quantum physics.

According to currently accepted theories, there cannot ever be faster-than-light travel. The only way for future technology to achieve FTL travel is if current theories are wrong.

When will we realize that the current theory is wrong and replace it with a better one? Who can say? Science tends to work in leaps and bounds -- contradictory evidence collects like snow on a mountain until someone shouts and starts an avalanche. There is probably no way to predict, in even vague terms, when we might reach another turning point in physical understanding.

One would think that, as science progresses, it stabilizes onto a set of valid theories. When these accepted theories no longer change for a very long time, one might even be willing to declare them "done." Modern physics has been evolving very quickly in the last 200 years or so. But how long is 200 years in terms of scientific evolution? How can anyone say with even tenuous conviction that 200 years is or is not enough time for mankind to learn all the rules? How about 2000?

I guess the bottom line is that it's pointless to concern yourself with the duration of a process you've never seen before.

- Warren

6. Sep 26, 2003 #5

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that's a beautiful metaphor, Warren. You should make a poem of it. :wink:

7. Sep 26, 2003 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I voted no. You won't win any money betting against relativity.

8. Sep 30, 2003 #7
    No way will it happen.

We live in an age where Science and Technology seem to be able to solve all problems. The steps forward that mankind has made are huge. A belief that 'anything is possible' is one that has made our society what it is.

However, eventually human dreams come up against the way the Universe works. This is 'the final frontier' and not one that we can cross.

This doesn't stop us dreaming though.....hence this thread!

9. Oct 9, 2003 #8
    Why not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?