Will I See Warp Speed in My Lifetime?

In summary: What's stopping us? - WarrenThere are a number of reasons why it may be impossible for us to travel to the stars. Some of the obstacles that we would face include the fact that we would need to find a way to travel through space at light speed, and that we would need to find a way to protect our ship from the intense radiation and cosmic rays that would be encountered in space. Additionally, we would likely need to find a way to generate enough energy to travel to the stars, and we would likely need to find a way to find a habitable planet to live on. Even if we did manage to overcome all of these obstacles, it is likely that we

Do you think Warp speed will be fully fuctional in the 21st centry?

• Yes I do?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some what think so?

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • maybe?

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Ohh no!

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ronin84790
Does any think or feel that we will be able to achive warp speed in my life time? I'm 30 years old.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is this quantum physics?

- Warren

You plan to live for a long time, don't you...

Welcome to PF Ronin ! :smile:
(btw, What's web police ?)

Live long and prosper.

I suppose I'll answer anyway, even if the question has nothing to do with quantum physics.

According to currently accepted theories, there cannot ever be faster-than-light travel. The only way for future technology to achieve FTL travel is if current theories are wrong.

When will we realize that the current theory is wrong and replace it with a better one? Who can say? Science tends to work in leaps and bounds -- contradictory evidence collects like snow on a mountain until someone shouts and starts an avalanche. There is probably no way to predict, in even vague terms, when we might reach another turning point in physical understanding.

One would think that, as science progresses, it stabilizes onto a set of valid theories. When these accepted theories no longer change for a very long time, one might even be willing to declare them "done." Modern physics has been evolving very quickly in the last 200 years or so. But how long is 200 years in terms of scientific evolution? How can anyone say with even tenuous conviction that 200 years is or is not enough time for mankind to learn all the rules? How about 2000?

I guess the bottom line is that it's pointless to concern yourself with the duration of a process you've never seen before.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Science tends to work in leaps and bounds -- contradictory evidence collects like snow on a mountain until someone shouts and starts an avalanche.

Wow, that's a beautiful metaphor, Warren. You should make a poem of it. :wink:

I voted no. You won't win any money betting against relativity.

No way will it happen.

We live in an age where Science and Technology seem to be able to solve all problems. The steps forward that mankind has made are huge. A belief that 'anything is possible' is one that has made our society what it is.

However, eventually human dreams come up against the way the Universe works. This is 'the final frontier' and not one that we can cross.

This doesn't stop us dreaming though...hence this thread!

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
However, eventually human dreams come up against the way the Universe works. This is 'the final frontier' and not one that we can cross.

Why not?

1. Will warp speed ever be possible?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence to support the possibility of achieving warp speed. However, there are ongoing research and discussions within the scientific community about the theoretical concepts that could potentially lead to the development of warp speed technology.

2. How fast is warp speed?

According to the Star Trek universe, warp speed is faster than the speed of light, with warp factor 1 being the speed of light and each subsequent factor being exponentially faster. However, in reality, the concept of warp speed is still theoretical and its exact speed is unknown.

3. Can humans withstand the effects of warp speed?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that humans can withstand the effects of warp speed. The acceleration and deceleration involved in achieving warp speed could potentially be harmful to the human body.

4. Are there any current projects working on developing warp speed technology?

There are currently no known projects specifically focused on developing warp speed technology. However, there are ongoing research and experiments in fields such as quantum mechanics and propulsion systems that could potentially contribute to the development of warp speed technology in the future.

5. Will I see warp speed in my lifetime?

It is impossible to predict whether or not warp speed will be achieved within an individual's lifetime. However, with the continuous advancement of technology and knowledge, it is possible that future generations may witness the development of warp speed technology.