Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Warped space

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    ok last dumb question for tonight i promise... i have read that you can theoretically warp space (on paper not in a lab). lets say we built a warp drive however... if you were traveling through warped space say on the enterprise and shined a flashlight off the front of the ship would it still be relative off the bow (wave shift?) or would you keep catching up to it as you warped the next bits of space in front of you?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

Gold Member

It's a moot question but I don't know the answer.

Beam me up, Scottie !
  4. Apr 28, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

I think in the context of an alcubierre warp drive if you shine a light ahead of you, you should still perceive the light to move at c (at least for a short while). Within the bubble, at least, the spaceship does not travel faster than the speed of light, so we expect observers to find the time locally minkowski. At the boundaries, however, the question is trickier and I don't know the answer.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive For the scheme I'm referring to.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook