Wart myths

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a small wart on one finger, i have had it for years, so any one have a magic cure?

Answers and Replies

I heard duct tape.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Stick your finger in a cup of liquid N2, and spell your full name backward. Take your finger out and the wart will snap right off!

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I tried all the conventional cures (none worked permanently) and then my grandma told me banana skin bandaged onto the wart was supposed to help. I was sceptical but tried it and it worked for me!

I think Fluoroantimonic acid works very good on those things..

Since you are looking for magical remedies :

I guess wikipedia adds some weight to GE's suggestion:

Duct tape occlusion therapy involves placing a piece of duct tape (or medical tape) over the affected area for a week at a time. The procedure is otherwise identical to that of using salicylic acid adhesive pads. One study found that the duct tape method was 85% effective, compared to a 60% success rate in the study's cryotherapy group. Another study, however, found no statistically significant effect. "Whether or not the standard type of duct tape is effective is up in the air," said co-author Dr. Rachel Wenner of the University of Minnesota, who started the new study as a medical student. "Theoretically, the rubber adhesive could somehow stimulate the immune system or irritate the skin in a different manner."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wart#Household_remedies

But just go get it frozen off :-), worked for me.

Had one on my knee when I was a younger and cut it off with a razor blade.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There was actually an article in the news recently about someone testing duct tape in a controlled trial (not sure if it was double or single-blind, but the subjects weren't aware of the treatment). They said it didn't work. The only caveat is that they used clear duct tape to prevent the subjects from seeing it attached to the band-aids, so left it open that there's a different glue on the traditional gray duct tape that has a different effect than the clear duct tape.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Seriously, I have used the product "Compound W" before, and it did work. It took about two weeks, so I'm not too sure if it was psychosomatic or not. It sort of peeled it off bit by bit and ultimately left a hole in my skin, but all is well now; I just use a different finger when I play piano.

turbo
Gold Member
I had one on my finger years ago. Got tired of it and I didn't have health insurance, so I cut it out with a VERY sharp pocketknife. Kinda smarted, but it never came back and the hole healed up after a while.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Seriously, I have used the product "Compound W" before, and it did work. It took about two weeks, so I'm not too sure if it was psychosomatic or not. It sort of peeled it off bit by bit and ultimately left a hole in my skin, but all is well now; I just use a different finger when I play piano.
It worked for me like that too. The wart turned bright white and crusty, and pieces of it just fell off until it was gone.

Evo
Mentor
It worked for me like that too. The wart turned bright white and crusty, and pieces of it just fell off until it was gone.
:bugeye: There are certain parts of the body where you definitely do NOT want to use that then. :eek:

:bugeye: There are certain parts of the body where you definitely do NOT want to use that then. :eek:
:rofl:
I hope I didn't misunderstood this..

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think you understood, ziad, I think you understood.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Have you let a doc look at it? Doctors have magical lasers and potions and things that might be able to help you.

Compound W is pretty effective. The main ingredient is salicylic acid from which acetylsalicylic Acid (aspirin) is derived. It just slowly dissolves the wart.

wolram
Gold Member
Have you let a doc look at it? Doctors have magical lasers and potions and things that might be able to help you.
for crying out loud what has happened to you MIH, have you been in the biscuit barrel a few to many times :surprised

And yes i have seen a doctor, he was as much use as a chocolate
fire guard, he said it is no use cutting it out as it will only come
back.

turbo
Gold Member
for crying out loud what has happened to you MIH, have you been in the biscuit barrel a few to many times :surprised

back.
I cut mine out with a Victorionox 3-blade knife with a really new sharp main blade. There was a little thin white thread at the bottom of the hole that really caught my attention when I removed it. The wart is still gone, though.

Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
MedlinePlus ( an*NIH site) has a few suggestions for treating common warts.

Over-the-counter medications can remove warts. These are applied to the wart every day for several weeks. DO NOT use these medications on your face or genitals. It helps to file the wart down when damp (for example, after a bath or shower) before applying these medications.

Stronger (prescription) medications may be required for removal of persistent warts. Surgical removal or removal by freezing (cryotherapy), burning (electrocautery), or laser treatment may be needed.

DO NOT attempt to remove a wart yourself by burning, cutting, tearing, picking.....
I see many of these treatments have already been mentioned here. I also used an OTC remedy (Compound W) on a wart on my thumb. It sloughed away as Chi described. Besides salicylic acid, it also has acetic acid in there.

Here's some botanical trivia, what common plant(s) contain the methyl-ester of salicylic acid? :rolleyes:

*NIH - National Institute of Health, a US Gov't Agency. Within the NIH, this material comes by way of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes! That's exactly what happened.:biggrin:
back.
Fair enough. If you'll remind me when it is the next new moon, I will perform a voodoo ritual to remove your affliction.:approve:

turbo
Gold Member
Here's some botanical trivia, what common plant(s) contain the methyl-ester of salicylic acid? :rolleyes:
I haven't looked to see what the exact formulation is, but native Americans used willow bark as a pain reliever.