Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wart myths

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have a small wart on one finger, i have had it for years, so any one have a magic cure?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2007 #2
    I heard duct tape.

4. Mar 30, 2007 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Stick your finger in a cup of liquid N2, and spell your full name backward. Take your finger out and the wart will snap right off!

5. Mar 30, 2007 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried all the conventional cures (none worked permanently) and then my grandma told me banana skin bandaged onto the wart was supposed to help. I was sceptical but tried it and it worked for me!

6. Mar 30, 2007 #5
    I think Fluoroantimonic acid works very good on those things..

7. Mar 30, 2007 #6
    Since you are looking for magical remedies :

I guess wikipedia adds some weight to GE's suggestion:

Duct tape occlusion therapy involves placing a piece of duct tape (or medical tape) over the affected area for a week at a time. The procedure is otherwise identical to that of using salicylic acid adhesive pads. One study found that the duct tape method was 85% effective, compared to a 60% success rate in the study's cryotherapy group. Another study, however, found no statistically significant effect. "Whether or not the standard type of duct tape is effective is up in the air," said co-author Dr. Rachel Wenner of the University of Minnesota, who started the new study as a medical student. "Theoretically, the rubber adhesive could somehow stimulate the immune system or irritate the skin in a different manner."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wart#Household_remedies

But just go get it frozen off :-), worked for me.

8. Mar 30, 2007 #7
    Had one on my knee when I was a younger and cut it off with a razor blade.

9. Mar 30, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was actually an article in the news recently about someone testing duct tape in a controlled trial (not sure if it was double or single-blind, but the subjects weren't aware of the treatment). They said it didn't work. The only caveat is that they used clear duct tape to prevent the subjects from seeing it attached to the band-aids, so left it open that there's a different glue on the traditional gray duct tape that has a different effect than the clear duct tape.

10. Mar 30, 2007 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seriously, I have used the product "Compound W" before, and it did work. It took about two weeks, so I'm not too sure if it was psychosomatic or not. It sort of peeled it off bit by bit and ultimately left a hole in my skin, but all is well now; I just use a different finger when I play piano.

11. Mar 30, 2007 #10
  12. Mar 30, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I had one on my finger years ago. Got tired of it and I didn't have health insurance, so I cut it out with a VERY sharp pocketknife. Kinda smarted, but it never came back and the hole healed up after a while.

13. Mar 30, 2007 #12

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It worked for me like that too. The wart turned bright white and crusty, and pieces of it just fell off until it was gone.

14. Mar 30, 2007 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:bugeye: There are certain parts of the body where you definitely do NOT want to use that then. :eek:

15. Mar 30, 2007 #14
    :rofl:
    I hope I didn't misunderstood this..

16. Mar 30, 2007 #15

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you understood, ziad, I think you understood.

17. Mar 30, 2007 #16

wolram

Gold Member

18. Mar 30, 2007 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you let a doc look at it? Doctors have magical lasers and potions and things that might be able to help you.

19. Mar 30, 2007 #18
    Compound W is pretty effective. The main ingredient is salicylic acid from which acetylsalicylic Acid (aspirin) is derived. It just slowly dissolves the wart.

20. Mar 30, 2007 #19

wolram

Gold Member

for crying out loud what has happened to you MIH, have you been in the biscuit barrel a few to many times :surprised

And yes i have seen a doctor, he was as much use as a chocolate
    fire guard, he said it is no use cutting it out as it will only come
    back.

21. Mar 30, 2007 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I cut mine out with a Victorionox 3-blade knife with a really new sharp main blade. There was a little thin white thread at the bottom of the hole that really caught my attention when I removed it. The wart is still gone, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?