Fair Treatment as a PhD Graduate: My Experience in Michigan and India

• Thread starter causalset
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing whether the person speaking was treated fairly in their academic journey. They share their story and ask for others' opinions. The main theme that emerges is the person's lack of dedication and refusal to listen to advice, which may have hindered their success. Some suggest that the person should have been more focused and proactive in their studies, rather than relying on others. Others criticize the person's behavior and attitude, suggesting that they were lucky to have received as many opportunities as they did. Overall, the consensus is that the person was not treated unfairly but may have brought some of their challenges upon themselves.

Were I treated fairly

• They were MORE patient than need be

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • They were LESS patient than need be

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • They were just as patient as need be

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Vanadium 50 said:
I think there is a lesson in this - grad school faculties want their students to succeed. the advice they are giving is worth paying attention to, and where the OP went awry is when he decided that he knew better, and would do something else.

I want to emphasize this as well, by pointing out that the OP got his PhD at the end when he followed instructions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geometrick said:
I think we should close this thread before any more damage is done. This guy is saying some borderline unnerving things about a respected scientist.

Which one? Bombelli? While the OP did accuse him of scientific misconduct (without, however, saying "I accuse him of scientific misconduct" and instead saying that he put his name on a paper that he made no significant scientific contribution to), he later backed off and said that his original statement was untrue and and Bombelli did make significant scientific contributions.

If I were Luca Bombelli, I'd be pretty unhappy, particularly because the OP made this claim three times before he retracted it. But that ship has sailed.

If I were a member of the Asperger's community, I'd also be pretty unhappy (more like "hopping mad"), as the OP paints a very unflattering (and IMHO, incorrect) view of the condition: that people with Asperger's have no control over their actions and choose to deliberately hurt others. Indeed, if this were true, a good case could be made that people with Asperger's should be locked up for their safety and the safety of others. But again, that ship has sailed too.

In neither case would locking the thread serve a useful purpose - you can't unring a bell. Furthermore, most of the really bad stuff is over on Wrong Planet anyway.

The value in this thread now is to point out what others can learn from this experience: see the last couple of posts between me and Cyclovenom for an example.

NINDS Asperger Syndrome Information Page
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/asperger.htm

"With effective treatment, children with AS can learn to cope with their disabilities, but they may still find social situations and personal relationships challenging. Many adults with AS are able to work successfully in mainstream jobs, although they may continue to need encouragement and moral support to maintain an independent life."

A guide to asperger syndrome
Christopher Gillberg
http://books.google.com/books?id=gBvjadMASiMC

"Individuals affected with Asperger Syndrome are often misunderstood and sometimes misdiagnosed when they apply for help"

p30 "The teacher at school may be told she has a foul breath, that she is ignorant, or that she has ill fitting clothes. Alternatively she may be 'complimented' on having a nice bra"

Last edited:
shoehorn said:
For what it's worth, one of the people that the OP mentioned in his rant has told me a rather interesting story. The upshot of it is that the mods may wish to remove this thread now to head off any involvement in any legal action which may be taken.

Who was it?

Can you just make it clear to everyone that the reason I made this thread is that I was bored and wanted to post?

I mean, yes, IN THE PAST it was really upsetting me. Right now, I don't really care, it was in the past. Well yes I do care, but the only part I do care about is that I am 29 year old and could have been younger if I didn't make mistakes. BUT THAT IS MY FAULT, NOT THEIRS. None of them slowed me down since none of them SUCCEEDED in expelling me.

So, since none of them SUCCEEDED in expelling me, I don't really care that THEY treated me unfairly, since it is IN THE PAST. WHy I made this post? BECAUSE I WAS BORED.

I really don't want this to lead to a legal action. It would be VERY SILLY to ruin my career NOT because I can't get myself to study or follow instructions, but simply because I post something OUT OF BOREDOM.

I was unaware that posts like that can ruin career, I thought internet is like a street.

So can you contact whoever told you "interesting story" and reverse it?

Oh would you please please stop whining.

This is one of the reasons you arent getting on in life, incessantly moaning and being stubborn are two things that < profanity removed > people off. Those traits are NOT asbergers relatied, they are traits of the person themself.

You weren't treated unfairly, accept YOU messed up, grow up, move on.

Edit: And you clearly can't follow instructions, otherwise you wouldn't have ****ed up so much. It is interesting to note that when you DID eventiually follow instructons you got on and completed your PhD.

Last edited by a moderator:
xxChrisxx said:
Oh would you please please stop whining.

This is ont of the reasons you arent getting on in life, incessantly moaning and defending your obviously poor position.

You weren't treated unfairly, accept YOU messed up, grow up, move on.

Okay I am MOVING ON. I promise I will NEVER whine about it online or in person to anyone EVER.

All I am asking is whoever have communicated to any of the ppl involved, just tell them I was bored and wanted to post, WHICH IS TRUE.

Good, I am not saying we can't discuss it, or that you shouldn't talk about it to people, just try your best to not whine.

I am not trying you bash you or put you down here.

You've also got to think, that when besically its you vs pretty much everyone else (as is evident from the poll) that maybe, just maybe, they are making a point that you should take on board.