• Thread starter pineapples
  • Start date
got me there

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
0TheSwerve0 said:
When you break a rule, you should be given detention or a warning. Did she not say the coach didn't warn her? Plus, when you break a rule, your teacher doesn't have the right to yell in your face and harrass you. There are rules for social interactions, he broke them. Sounds like he acted more like a child than she did (at least she refrained from bursting out like he did). Seriously, who picks on 8th grade girls?
Where did she say he yelled in her face or harassed her? This sounded like a one time thing. If anything, he cut her a bit of slack by giving her a good talking to in his office rather than giving her a detention, which he probably could do. She says no warning was given, but it sounds like he did correct her for the inappropriate attire for the class, and it was her reaction to that which got a sterner response from him. It's not harassment if he's reprimanding her for things she's done wrong. It would be harassment if he was constantly picking on her in every class for no reason at all, but she gave him reason. Besides, she said it was a "once a month thing," so unless she means she got overly moody because of her stage of menstrual cycle, it sounds like this is a habitual problem. If her stinky gym clothes were okay to wear the day before, I don't know why they weren't okay the next day. If she only washes them once a month, they must be pretty ripe for 3 weeks already! :yuck:

60 years ago, she would have gotten spanked in front of the class with a wooden paddle, then be sent to the principal for talking back and the parents called in for a talk for her poor attitude.

30 years ago, she would have gotten a stern reprimand in class, then be sent to the principal for talking back and the parents called in for a talk for her attitude.

Nowadays she would get a stern reprimand in class, then the teacher gets reported to the principal for talking back and the parents called in for a talk about his attitude.

We're raising brats.

I was under the impression there was yelling (sounds like maybe she was, but then again she said she kept most of her anger inside) and harshness involved, here's why -

pineapples said:
Then I went. I got back out, and he's mad at me! "I said FINSIH this first!" and I was like, "I did!" and he said, "I meant the whole ting course!" HOW was I supposed to know?? That doesnt even make sense! But that REALLY set him off...

he started yelling that "I get this all the time from you 8th grade, G/T (gifted/talented) students! You have this condescending, rude, 'I don't wanna be here, I'm above you all' kind of attitude"

Now here's the thing: do you think he was out of line? Did he have a right to go off on me just for that?

On a side note, he does this to my friend Sarah too. We have the same personality and she's in G/T (gifted and talented classes), too. He insults her and critcizes her and kind of mocks her in front of the class. Maybe its in his personality, but...he's made her cry, too! In front of everyone!
According to her, he was yelling, mocking, and overreacting. Hence, it seems like harrassment. Nothing new, I've been there myself. I suspect he imagines all students aim to annoy him so he overreacts.

Artman said:
We're raising brats.
And cheaters, check out that other thread about cheating in universities. Also, kids who learn that "everyone is equal" but also, "everyone's unique and special." What a turn around this last generation of parents has made! Seems to me the education system is set up for confrontations like this. As for adolescence itself, there are many cultures and societies that do not encounter the moody rebellious teenager...because they don't set up their social system to create them and have those types of confrontations! Like I said, I think the education system is set up so teachers and students make enemies out of each other.

Last edited:
Artman said:
Nowadays she would get a stern reprimand in class, then the teacher gets reported to the principal for talking back and the parents called in for a talk about his attitude.
That's lame, I support teachers putting a student in place when they deserve it. Then they won't have to go off when students break petty rules.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
0TheSwerve0 said:
According to her, he was yelling, mocking, and overreacting. Hence, it seems like harrassment. Nothing new, I've been there myself. I suspect he imagines all students aim to annoy him so he overreacts.
I just interpreted all the exclamation points as her anger showing through in her version of the story, not as factual representations of whether there was yelling or not. Of course, gyms are not quiet places either, so there may have been some yelling that was simply for the purpose of being loud enough to be heard over the noise of everyone else doing whatever they were doing in gym class, and had nothing to do with anger.

Plus, when you break a rule, your teacher doesn't have the right to yell in your face and harrass you.
He doesn't?

I've had teachers yell loudly at me before. I remember in elementary, this teacher yelled at me so loudly everyone down the hall heard it.

What was I doing that got him angry? I was telling my friend where "All The Right Type" was located in the Macintosh HD while he was beginning to talk.

He had serious anger problems, but nobody ever reported him. He would scare the crap out of kids, even threaten them, "Get out of my face before..."

And cheaters, check out that other thread about cheating in universities.
Get over it. Don't get mad just because people have enough of a network to find help whenever they need to make life easier. Maybe you prefer being friendless and working all alone in the corner of the class - some people don't.

As for adolescence itself, there are many cultures and societies that do not encounter the moody rebellious teenager...because they don't set up their social system to create them and have those types of confrontations!
No, it's because of parenting. American parenting.

I see a lot of rants but no plausible solution, yet.

Like I said, if everyone intended to practice "good manners" always, and make that noun the precedent over that verb which was wrongly done, there would not usually be any source of stress, and the alpha-point is the teacher.

The things that you perceive now such as "bad children" and "bad weather" are a symptom of the attitude you had to the whole, previously.

All children need a "right" example in addition to, an instructor.

And I currently don't see it happening on the big stage.

Last edited:
jimmie said:
I see a lot of rants but no plausible solution, yet.
I gave her one. When dealing with people, (especially authority figures) the best way to make a change is to change yourself.

I said she should apologize for her part in the event and attempt to have a better attitude in the future.

Any attempt to get the teacher to change either through parental intervention or administrative action requires the teacher to change in the desired way to be effective. Those methods could change things for the worse. If the teacher has tenure, it is very hard to get him out. It would take a far worse affair than that descibed.

Dagenais said:
He doesn't?

I've had teachers yell loudly at me before. I remember in elementary, this teacher yelled at me so loudly everyone down the hall heard it.

What was I doing that got him angry? I was telling my friend where "All The Right Type" was located in the Macintosh HD while he was beginning to talk.

He had serious anger problems, but nobody ever reported him. He would scare the crap out of kids, even threaten them, "Get out of my face before..."
So are you agreeing with me or not?

Dagenais said:
Get over it. Don't get mad just because people have enough of a network to find help whenever they need to make life easier. Maybe you prefer being friendless and working all alone in the corner of the class - some people don't.
Get over what? Did you bother to read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=116923"in that thread...that I really don't care if people cheat. Well you posted between my two main posts in the thread, so I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I cared about cheating. Anyhow, how does doing one's own homework make them friendless? We are forced to do our homework at home because during class we discuss or take notes. The kind of homework I do doesn't require help, just individual effort (eg for individual labs at the zoo, response papers to readings, essay writing). I'm past the high school/early college busywork :smile:

Dagenais said:
No, it's because of parenting. American parenting.
Yep, characteristic of American society. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I just interpreted all the exclamation points as her anger showing through in her version of the story, not as factual representations of whether there was yelling or not. Of course, gyms are not quiet places either, so there may have been some yelling that was simply for the purpose of being loud enough to be heard over the noise of everyone else doing whatever they were doing in gym class, and had nothing to do with anger.
Mayhaps.

I guess I'd have to agree with everyone else, just get over it. Write a letter if you must, but definitely find other ways to diffuse your outrage...like Buffy quotes! (sometimes applicable and often funny).

Principal Snyder: A lot of educators tell students, 'Think of your principal as your pal'. I say 'Think of me as your judge, jury and executioner'.

Principal Snyder: One day the campus is completely bare and empty. The next, there are children everywhere. Like locusts. Crawling around, mindlessly bent on feeding and mating. Destroying everyting in sight in their relentless, pointless desire to exist.
Giles: I do enjoy these pep talks. Have you ever considered, given your abhorrence of children, school's principal was not, perhaps, your true vocation?
Snyder: Somebody's got to keep an eye on them. They're just a bunch of hormonal time bombs. Every time a pretty girl walks by every boy turns into a gibbering fool.

Buffy: The school talent show. How ever did you finagle such a primo assignment?
Giles: Our new Fuehrer, Mr. Snyder.
Willow: I think they call 'em "principals" now.
Giles: Mmm. He thought it would behoove me to have more contact with the students. I did try to explain that my vocational choice of librarian was a deliberate attempt to minimize said contact, but, uh, he would have none of it.

Snyder: My predecessor, Mr. Flutie, may have gone in for all that touchy-feely relating nonsense, but he was eaten. You're in my world now. And Sunnydale has touched and felt for the last time.

Snyder: Kids today need discipline. That's an unpopular word these days, "discipline." I know Principal Flutie would have said, "Kids need understanding. Kids are human beings." That's the kind of woolly-headed, liberal thinking that leads to being eaten.
Giles: I think perhaps it was a little more complex than, um...
Snyder: This place has quite a reputation. Suicide, missing persons, spontaneous
cheerleader combustion... You can't put up with that.

Snyder: There are things I will not tolerate: students loitering on campus after school, horrible murders with hearts being removed. And also smoking.

:biggrin:

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
0TheSwerve0 said:
I guess I'd have to agree with everyone else, just get over it. Write a letter if you must, but definitely find other ways to diffuse your outrage...like Buffy quotes! (sometimes applicable and often funny).
:rofl: Those are good.

Of course, let's not forget that gym teachers always sound like they're yelling anyway, even when they're praising someone for doing a good job...they all seem to use that drill seargent voice.

Honestly, the teacher has probably already forgotten about it, other than a little check mark in the grade book that she came unprepared to class one day. One incident is just not worth dwelling over. That's certainly adding to the problem - that pineapples seems to be holding a grudge over this and can't just say what's done is done and let's move forward in a more positive way. She was wrong to come unprepared and give attitude for it, maybe he was wrong in going too far with the way he reprimanded her, so time to chalk it up to a bad day and move on. I still think Artman's suggestion of taking the mature route of offering an apology and handshake for her part in it would go a long way toward ensuring it doesn't turn into a long-term grudge and would re-establish some mutual respect.

0TheSwerve0, I Love the Buffy quotes. :biggrin: I never watched that show, I'm sorry now that I missed it.

Snyder: My predecessor, Mr. Flutie, may have gone in for all that touchy-feely relating nonsense, but he was eaten. You're in my world now. And Sunnydale has touched and felt for the last time.
:biggrin:

Never too late to buy the dvds! I've got the whole collection on used dvds, but I'm trying to save up for the "Chosen Collection" that has all the dvds in one set. There's a great buffy podcast too, at http://buffycast.libsyn.com/