Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Was Nebraska an inside job?

Tags:
  1. May 12, 2013 #1
    I'm not convinced that the state of Nebraska actually exists. All these people claiming to from Nebraska could just be actors. The pictures supposedly from Nebraska? Photoshopped, I'm guessing. I even flew across the country once and I didn't see Nebraska anywhere when I looked out the window.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. May 13, 2013 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And there's almost a 100 year gap between the founding of the country and the first mention of Nebraska as being a state

5. May 13, 2013 #4
    Oh, my god ..... you're right. This is the "man on the grassy knoll" for the Nebraska cover-up.

6. May 13, 2013 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

My wife and I drove across Nebraska five years ago. years ago. years ago. <static>

7. May 13, 2013 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And the first person to claim Nebraska exists just happens to work in a government funded industry.

8. May 13, 2013 #7
    James Tracy, professor of communications at Florida Atlantic University, would probably agree with you. In any case, Nebraska is a state of mind.

9. May 13, 2013 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I thought that was Carolina... :confused:

10. May 13, 2013 #9
    Giving Florida a bad name, or worse name... :(

11. May 13, 2013 #10

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't believe in England. It's a conspiracy of cartographers.

12. May 13, 2013 #11

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I only believe in NYC. ALL HAIL BLOOMBERG

13. May 13, 2013 #12

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Well, I have been in England.

But I have never been in Nebraska.

Now that I think of it, the only continent I believe in is Europe.

14. May 13, 2013 #13

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead", Tom Stoppard:

15. May 13, 2013 #14
    I created Nebraska. Why is there so much fuss about it?

16. May 13, 2013 #15

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, com'on people. Haven't you heard of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom? There are lions and tigers roaming around Nebraska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZg2tE3xJDY

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  17. May 13, 2013 #16

Cthugha

Science Advisor

18. May 13, 2013 #17
    People who drive across Nebraska and stay awake (from Iowa to Wyoming) should get a medal.

EDIT: If you have a choice, drive across Kansas instead. Nebraska has that annoying overhang above Colorado that turns a dull trip into a maddening one. You begin to think you'll never get out of Nebraska. Besides, in Kansas you can stop near the Colorado border and drive down to Mt Sunflower. It's the highest mountain in all of Kansas and well worth the trip. There may well be no mountain like it in the whole world!

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  19. May 13, 2013 #18

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I LOVE driving across Nebraska on the back roads. Every little town has an interesting diner and the people are friendly.
    I met a great couple in Mason City. He likes old cars as much as I do - he has 400 of them. She has three barns full of antiques, she wholesales to shops on both coasts.

In Grand Island, met two couples making a cross country jaunt in pre WW1 Model T Fords.

Try state route 2 through Sandhill country. You'll not be bored.

old jim

20. May 13, 2013 #19
  21. May 14, 2013 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I lived in Nebraska for 13 years. I even have two sons that were born there.

And driving across Nebraska along the Platte River is great. I've kayaked down the Platte in Colorado and canoed down the Platte near Ashland.

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo is probably one of the top 3 zoos in the US. Unfortunately, Rosenblatt Stadium (which used to be right beside the zoo) is gone. Minor league baseball is great (much better than major league baseball prices), plus they had the College World Series each year.

And it seems like every soccer field is next to a corn field - and the last several minutes of every game seems to be spent with the winning team kicking the ball as far as possible into the corn field to try and kill off the time left in the game.

And you know what's best of all? There's no party affiliation for state offices until you reach governor, lt governor, or US Congress (a federal office; not a state office). Okay, granted, there's really not much difference between Nebraska Republicans and Nebraska Democrats, but I think that might be because of the lack of party affiliation for most offices.

Nebraska is awesome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook