Was the first moon landing a fake?

In summary: I'm thinking.In summary, conspiracy theorists claim that the moon landing was a hoax, but there is overwhelming evidence that it did in fact happen.

Was the first moon landing a fake?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Viper
Was it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No. All the "points" (that's being generous considering some of them) raised by conspiracy theorists (be they scientific, political, etc) have been thoroughly addressed by someone at some time or another. Phil Plait's website is just one example of a source where someone went out of his way and was generous enough to show why conspiracy theories about the moon landings are flawed. There are countless others.

Can you give me the website, id be interested to read it?

It's a response to a Fox special: link. It's an interesting link whether or not you saw the special in question.

if you need proof that it was real, they left mirrors on the surface, which we have bounced lasers off to measure the distance.

Oh how I hate Fox TV. If it weren't for "The Simpsons", I'd boycott them entirely.

"This special contains controversial subject matter. Viewers are invited to draw their own conclusions based on all available evidence."

And then they didn't give any evidence... only glamorizations and fallacious guessing.

'Dumbification' of America... now 20%! of the people in the US buy into their crap.

Originally posted by Viper
Was it?
hahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahhahahah

oh wait, were you serious?

Links

Besides the link given by Zefram, here are a few more:

http://www.redzero.demon.co.uk/moonhoax/ [Broken]
http://www.lunaranomalies.com/fake-moon.htm [Broken]
[URL [Broken] ]LInk 3[/URL]
[URL [Broken] ]Link 4[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
There can be no serious doubt about the fact the man mission to the moon (the Apollo project) did deliver men to the moon and brought them back safely home.

Yes, there is a story, and this seems well documented, that the US government, had taken measures to "fake" the moon landing, in case the landing would have failed for some reason. They hired a studio, and made the scene look like the moon, and took pictures of astronauts in action on the fake moon.

These photographs made on earth, in a "lunar like environment" would be provided to the world press, in case the lunar landing itself did fail. One of the photo's shows that it is fake, cause a studio light could be seen on it.

This itself is not so curious, if not the US government (Nixon administration) tried to cover up for this "fake" (I don't know if they ever used the photographs), and assesinated all the team members of this "fake" lunar mission.

Has anyone heard that story?

I have never heard that story, I also doubt it very much.

EDIT: Wasn't something to this idea on that FOX special? Definately sounds like BS to me because if they had made the cover up footage and it every surfaced they could just say a) it never happened (who do you believe some guy or the government?) or b) they would admit and so what? Admitting they had a backup plan doesn't imply their original plan didn't work.

Last edited:
Originally posted by kyle_soule
I have never heard that story, I also doubt it very much.

EDIT: Wasn't something to this idea on that FOX special? Definately sounds like BS to me because if they had made the cover up footage and it every surfaced they could just say a) it never happened (who do you believe some guy or the government?) or b) they would admit and so what? Admitting they had a backup plan doesn't imply their original plan didn't work.

Before you misinterpret it, neither I do believe that the lunar landing was a hoax, there is overwhelming evidence that it did happen.
So that is besided the discussion.

What I was talking was that there was a backup plan, indeed.
I have seen a documentary on it, and they showed pictures taken in a studio of the lunar mission.
This itself is not so out of the ordinary. It could have been projected to provide photo's in case for example they could not bring the photo's back to earth, or just to explain in the studio environment what the astronauts were doing on the moon.
It could just be to clarify what the astronaats were doing on the moon.
In fact, the dutch television themselves had also a studio with a lunar like landscape, just to demonstrate for example the equipment they used on the moon, etc.

The story however, as portrayed in the documentary, was that this backup plan, somehow had to be kept secret from the public, and that all members of the team that had taken the pictures (actors, and camera men) were assasinated, so it never came out there was a backup plan, and that in fact they would (maybe) have faked the lunar landing, in case it did fail.

The studio setting and taking of pictures in a lunar like environment, is for real. But what is questionable if there was in fact a complot, and that all the team members were assasinated by the US government.
I don't have evidence for that, and not claim that I have, only I was asking if perhaps other people saw the same documentary that came up with this complot theory.

Originally posted by heusdens
The story however, as portrayed in the documentary, was that this backup plan, somehow had to be kept secret from the public, and that all members of the team that had taken the pictures (actors, and camera men) were assasinated, so it never came out there was a backup plan, and that in fact they would (maybe) have faked the lunar landing, in case it did fail.

Oh. come. on.

If all the participants were assassinated, how come you (or people who made a documentary) know about it? Why didn't the government assassinate the creators of the documentary or the people the creators of the documentary spoke to to get their information.

If people work on top secret government projects, they must have top secret security clearance. People with top secret security clearance DO NOT talk to reporters about their top secret projects. If they do, they are thrown in jail. Where are the people who were thrown in jail for talking?

Who/What/When/Where/Why was this documentary run? I haven't heard anything about it.

There also has to be some sort of print media relating to it if it is viable.

Shine the healing light of skepticism on any BS claim and it is very easy to see it for what it really is...

Originally posted by heusdens
Before you misinterpret it, neither I do believe that the lunar landing was a hoax, there is overwhelming evidence that it did happen.
So that is besided the discussion.

What I was talking was that there was a backup plan, indeed.
I have seen a documentary on it, and they showed pictures taken in a studio of the lunar mission.

I am in no way mocking you, but I saw a documentary on the Philadelphia Project in which it was portrayed as actually making the boat disappear and men, when the boat materialized again, stuck inside of the deck and walls. This was all shown as truth, and not the opinion of some people, perhaps, less in touch with reality than one would consider necessary of a sane mind:smile:...

Originally posted by kyle_soule
I am in no way mocking you, but I saw a documentary on the Philadelphia Project...
Is that a different movie from the science fiction movie? Great movie.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Is that a different movie from the science fiction movie? Great movie.

Yep, different. I saw one of the versions of the sci-fi movie, I would agree...great movie.

Viper, Phil's site is at http://www.badastronomy.com

1. Is there any evidence to support the claim that the first moon landing was fake?

No, there is no credible evidence to support the belief that the first moon landing was faked. Multiple independent sources, including NASA and other space agencies, have confirmed the authenticity of the mission.

2. Why do some people believe that the first moon landing was faked?

Some people believe that the first moon landing was faked due to conspiracy theories and misinformation. These beliefs often stem from a lack of understanding of the technical aspects of the mission and a distrust of the government and media.

3. How can we be sure that the footage and images from the first moon landing are real?

The footage and images from the first moon landing have been extensively analyzed and verified by experts in various fields, including photography, videography, and space exploration. Additionally, the astronauts who participated in the mission have confirmed the authenticity of the footage and images.

4. What is the motive for faking the first moon landing?

There is no clear motive for faking the first moon landing. The mission was a major accomplishment for the United States and was celebrated globally. The resources and technology needed to fake such a mission would have far outweighed any potential benefits.

5. How do we know that the astronauts actually landed on the moon and did not just orbit the Earth?

The astronauts who participated in the first moon landing have provided detailed accounts of their journey and activities on the moon's surface. Additionally, the samples and data collected during the mission have been verified by numerous independent sources, further confirming the authenticity of the landing.