Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Was the universe created? (not an evolution discussion)

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1
    Hi. I have a problem with a statement that was in the first chapter of my "World Religions" book for school. It first explains that the word "God" can have many different meanings. It then concludes the chapter with "It is a fact, not a mystery, that God, whatever or whoever God might be, created the Universe".

I think what it is saying is that everyone defines 'god' differently, but it is a fact that the universe went from a state of 'non-existence' to 'existence'. Would you agree?

Trouble is, why? Is there some proof that it had to have not existed, then at some later time existed? Is there a good scientific reason to not believe that it 'was always there'? (other than simply being hard to imagine)

What is your reaction.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2
    Move to philosophy forum?

4. Nov 9, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

You seek an answer to a question you dont understand

5. Nov 9, 2005 #4
    time was created when the universe was created so there is really no such thing as before the universe was created. you can't say there was nothing, then there was something because there was no such thing as then, then.

6. Nov 9, 2005 #5
    you were supposed to say 'grasshopper'

7. Nov 9, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's about as wrong as a statement can get. It is not a fact.

8. Nov 9, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

great reply evo! more chocolates?

9. Nov 9, 2005 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I remember an article on Slate about a year back explaining how (theoretically) a universe could be created in a lab.

10. Nov 9, 2005 #9

Evo

Why do people think that someone or something has to intentionally be behind everything that happens? Where everything came from is something we don't understand. I have no problem with that. Why are some people afraid of accepting that we just don't understand? Why do they have to <insert mythical figure here> every time they don't know the answer? Is it because they can't handle not having an answer?

11. Nov 9, 2005 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it is because we're very comfortable with the notion of cause and effect in our everyday experiences.

12. Nov 9, 2005 #11
    that's true I do all sorts of stupid stuff without knowing what I'm doing.

edit: damn MIH got in my way again

13. Nov 9, 2005 #12
    Great replies Evo, something we see eye to eye on.

14. Nov 9, 2005 #13
    to bad you are blind, grasshopper

you can't say something, have someone disagree with you, then say you see eye to eye with them. that is, I believe, the exact definition of "you can't do that" look it up

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  15. Nov 9, 2005 #14

Evo

He said he had a problem with the statement and I was agreeing with him.

16. Nov 9, 2005 #15
    Because one of the beauties of life is that we can understand what seems incomprehensible, and the curious mind strives to.

17. Nov 9, 2005 #16

Evo

But by answering every question with <insert mythical being here>, there is no striving to understand anything.

18. Nov 10, 2005 #17
    I think you're just bias against religion.:biggrin:

19. Nov 10, 2005 #18

russ_watters

Shhh - don't scare it away! It almost wandered into the trib-trap!

20. Nov 10, 2005 #19
    I was wondering what he said, but I wasn't going to go to the trouble of reading it. I don't know him and it was like 15 lines long.

21. Nov 10, 2005 #20
    Your paraphrase doesn't capture the meaning of the original. The statement specifically cites "God" as the creator. This means a being with the ability to have intentionally designed and created the universe. Your paraphrase lacks the all important attribution of it all to that being, which is the main point of the book's statement. Stating the universe once did not exist, but now it does, doesn't exclude a non-theological cause for this the way the book's bald assertion does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?