Was Unit 3 a nuclear blast?

In summary, there is a theory that the explosion at Fukushima Daiichi Unit 3 was caused by a nuclear reaction, and there are experts who support this theory based on isotopic data analysis. The high levels of Iodine 135 found in the samples suggest a nuclear explosion, and certain ratios of xenon isotopes can confirm a nuclear reaction. It would be beneficial to hear from other experts in the field to fully evaluate this theory.
SpunkyMonkey
Hello folks!

You may have heard the theory put forth that the explosion at Fukushima Daiichi Unit 3 involved a nuclear reaction, or prompt criticality. There are at least three experts who appear to be supporting this theory. On being Chris Busby, who http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz4I5rb3_BM#t=1m01s" that available isotopic-ratio data confirms this theory.

This informative comment about the isotopic data was made to another forum:

It now appears very likely that there was a prompt criticality or nuclear explosion at Fukushima in the period March 13-15. Using the Takasaki CTBTO data at http://www.cpdnp.jp/pdf/110513Takasaki_report_May10.pdf"

The isotopic data might be sourced to analysis of published data conducted by Dr. Hiroaki Koide of Kyoto University, cited in the first link in that quote above, which states:

Mr. Hiroaki Koide from Kyoto University has http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfMsauUspfI". He said that the huge amount of Iodine 135 supports the speculation of nuclear explosion at the #3 reactor on March 14.

The case for why the available isotopic-data support the nuclear theory was summarized by the person who posted the first quote above in this way:

Mar 16-17 readings:
A. Tc-99m 130,378
B. Te-132 25,177
C. I-132 35,700
D. I-131 55,607
E. Ba-140 542
F. La-140 1,521
A > B+C > D > E+F = nuke

I'd be interested to know what folks here think about this. Not just the nuclear-blast theory per se but the claim that there currently are isotopic data supporting it. Details about the ratio of xenon isotopes necessary to confirm a nuclear reaction are cited http://www.springerlink.com/content/d71710g0012116x4/". Thanks for any insights that might be given. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there! Thanks for bringing this theory to our attention. I have not heard of it before, but it definitely sounds intriguing. I watched the video and found Dr. Koide's analysis of the isotopic data to be very interesting. It seems like he has a strong case for a nuclear explosion at Unit 3 based on the high levels of Iodine 135 found in the samples.

As for the isotopic data itself, I am not an expert in this field so I cannot comment on the specific ratios and their significance. However, the link you provided to the Springer article does seem to confirm that certain ratios of xenon isotopes can indicate a nuclear reaction.

I would be interested to see if other experts in the field have analyzed the data and come to similar conclusions. It's always important to consider multiple perspectives and gather as much evidence as possible before coming to a conclusion. Thanks for sharing this information!

1. What is a nuclear blast?

A nuclear blast is a powerful explosion caused by the release of energy from a nuclear reaction. This reaction can occur naturally in stars, or it can be artificially created through the use of nuclear weapons or nuclear power plants.

2. Was Unit 3 a nuclear blast?

It is believed that the explosion at Unit 3 of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan on March 14, 2011 was a nuclear blast. However, experts are still studying the exact cause and nature of the explosion.

3. What caused the explosion at Unit 3?

The explosion at Unit 3 was likely caused by a buildup of hydrogen gas inside the reactor building, which then ignited and caused a powerful explosion. This was a result of the reactor's cooling systems being damaged by the earthquake and tsunami that occurred on March 11, 2011.

4. How dangerous is a nuclear blast?

The danger of a nuclear blast depends on a variety of factors, such as the size and type of the explosion, the distance from the blast, and the presence of protective structures. In general, a nuclear blast can cause widespread destruction and release harmful radiation into the environment, which can have long-term health effects on people and the environment.

5. What are the potential consequences of a nuclear blast?

A nuclear blast can have devastating consequences, including destruction of buildings and infrastructure, loss of life, and contamination of the surrounding area with radioactive materials. It can also have long-term effects on the environment and human health, such as increased risk of cancer and other health problems.