Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Was wondering what set c to its speed ?

1. Jul 3, 2004 #1
    was wondering what set c to its speed ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

was wondering what you really masgrgdffh ?

4. Jul 3, 2004 #3

Gza

Lol. Did you fall asleep on your keyboard before finishing that sentence? :smile:

And Bozo, c is the speed of light.

5. Jul 3, 2004 #4
    "was wondering what set c to its speed ?"

from what i can interpret from that badly written question, he wants to know what exactly sets a photons speed to C and not to any other velocity.

6. Jul 3, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, but I wanted to be about as coherent as Bozo.

7. Jul 3, 2004 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The electrical and magnetic properties of the vacuum set the value of c, according to the Maxwell equations.

8. Jul 3, 2004 #7

Janitor

Science Advisor

As a follow-up to what selfAdjoint wrote, is there any hope that string theory will help answer why "the electrical and magnetic properties of the vacuum set the value of c"?

9. Jul 3, 2004 #8

FZ+

My guess: probably not. ST will probably set out a range of possible values for c, or outline equations which will function if c is a certain value, or whatever. But I doubt it would mathematically define c to be a specific value as a matter of neccessity.

I don't think c is just set by magnetic properties of the vacuum, and so on. I think that c is a specific property set by the geometry of our particular spacetime, and that the permeability/permitivity constants are effects, rather than causes. But then again, I don't really know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?