What are the methods for finding volume using washers and shells?

• Thread starter Justabeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shell
In summary: I appreciate it. In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid obtained by revolving the region bounded by y=4, x=2, and x^2=4y in the first quadrant about the y-axis. Two methods, the washer method and the shell method, are proposed to find the volume. The limits of integration for the washer method are 0 and 4, while for the shell method they are 0 and 2. The radius for the washer method is a piece-wise function, resulting in two integrals that must be evaluated separately. The radius for the shell method is a simple function, with the height being 4-x^2/4. After evaluating the integrals, the final volume is
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

The region in the first quadrant bounded by the lines y=4 and x=2 and the curve x^2=4y is revolved about the y-axis. Find the volume:
a) by the method of washers
b) by the method of shells

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the region, and I can picture what the solid volume would look like. I think the limits of the integral are 0 and 4, if I'm not mistaken. Also, for the washer method, I need the inner and outer radius. I think the outer radius is x^2/4, but I'm not sure what the inner radius would be. As for the shell method, I think the radius would be 4 and the height, I'm not so sure about. Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a graph of the region in question. Note the region in question is the region above the parabola (and below y = 4), not the region below the parabola (and above y = 0).

You correctly identified the limits of integration for the washer method; however, the upper and lower limits of integration for the shell method are x = 0 and x = 2, respectively. I suggest you review the formulas associated with the washer and shell methods.

For the washer method, the radius [itex]R(y)[/itex] is given by

[tex]R(y) =
\left \{
\begin{array}{lr}
2\sqrt{y} , & 0 < y < 1\\
2 , & 1 < y < 4
\end{array}
\right.
[/tex]

Because the radius is a piece-wise function, two integrals must be evaluated to find the volume.

For the shell method, the radius [itex]p(x)[/itex] is given by [itex]p(x) = x[/itex] and the height [itex]h(x)[/itex] is given by [itex]h(x) = 4 - \dfrac{x^2}{4}[/itex].

After you review the washer and shell methods, you should be able to progress from here.

I do not understand how you determined there to be two integrals for the radius for the washer method. If you could please explain that to me, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

By the washer method, the formula for the volume [itex]V[/itex] is given by

[tex]V = \pi \int_0^4 [R(y)]^2 \, dy[/tex]

Keeping in mind [itex]R(y)[/itex] is a piecewise-defined function with two subfunctions, can you evaluate [itex]\int_0^4 [R(y)]^2 \, dy[/itex] with only one integral?

No you would need two integrals, one with a limit from 0 to 1, and then the other integral with a limit from 1 to 4.

For the first integral:

[itex] ∫_0^1 4y dy [/itex]
[itex] 2y^2 | _0^1 [/itex]
[itex] 2∏ [/itex]

Second Integral:

[itex] ∫_0^1 4 dy [/itex]
[itex] 4y | _1^4 [/itex]
12∏

12∏ + 2∏= 14∏

The same answer as I got for the shell method. I understand how you got the 2√y for the function of the first integral, but I do not get how you got the '2' for the second integral. Can you please explain that to me? Thank you so much.

I attached a graphic to aid our discussion. The black line at [itex]y = 1[/itex] appropriately divides the graph into two regions, one below the line and one above the line. In each region, an arbitrary radius is represented by a red rectangle. In the lower region where [itex]0 < y < 1[/itex], the radius [itex]R(y)[/itex] is given by [itex]R(y) = 2\sqrt{y}[/itex] as you already know. In the upper region where [itex]1 < y < 4[/itex], what is the radius [itex]R(y)[/itex]? From the attached graphic, it should be clear [itex]R(y)[/itex] is constant in this region.

Attachments

• Washer Method.png
    Washer Method.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 603
Thank you so much. The graph really helped me understand it better.

1. What is the difference between washer and shell methods in calculus?

Washer and shell methods are two techniques used to solve problems involving solids of revolution in calculus. The main difference between them is the shape of the cross-section used to create the solid. Washer method uses circular cross-sections while shell method uses cylindrical shells.

2. When should I use washer method and when should I use shell method?

Washer method is typically used when the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the axis of symmetry of the solid, while shell method is used when the axis of rotation is parallel to the axis of symmetry. However, both methods can be used interchangeably as long as the correct cross-section is chosen.

3. How do I set up the integral for washer and shell methods?

The integral for washer method is ∫π(R^2 - r^2)dx, where R is the outer radius and r is the inner radius. For shell method, the integral is ∫2πrhdx, where r is the radius of the cylindrical shell and h is the height of the shell. Both integrals are taken with respect to the variable of integration (x or y) that represents the axis of rotation.

4. Can washer and shell methods be used for non-circular cross-sections?

Yes, both washer and shell methods can be used for non-circular cross-sections. For washer method, the cross-section must be a function of the variable of integration (x or y), and for shell method, the cross-section must be a function of the remaining variable (y or x).

5. Are washer and shell methods limited to solids of revolution with a single axis of rotation?

No, washer and shell methods can also be used for solids of revolution with multiple axes of rotation. In this case, separate integrals must be set up for each axis of rotation and then added together to find the total volume of the solid.